• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode VIII December 15, 2017
4 4

1,797 posts in this topic

I'll say it again in case you missed it:

If you have expectations for your movie to do $1 Billion worldwide and it does $2 Billion...that's great.

and then you do a sequel, with the same expectations ($1 Billion), and it makes $1 Billion...

You didn't lose any money. You met expectations.

1 minute ago, Chuck Gower said:

I'll say it again in case you missed it:

If you have expectations for your movie to do $1 Billion worldwide and it does $2 Billion...that's great.

and then you do a sequel, with the same expectations ($1 Billion), and it makes $1 Billion...

You didn't lose any money. You met expectations.

You and I have always agreed on this point, though I still can’t fathom why they wouldn’t have set expectations higher after TFA made the box office it’s person_without_enough_empathy.

Just now, Chuck Gower said:

So if I make $10 at my lemonade stand one day and only $5 the next, that means I lost $5?

What kind of math is that?

You do, if you had two regular customers that spent $5 everyday. Then you hired Rian Johnson who pissed in the lemonade in front of one those customers.

1 minute ago, mattn792 said:

You and I have always agreed on this point, though I still can’t fathom why they wouldn’t have set expectations higher after TFA made the box office it’s person_without_enough_empathy.

Because it's not realistic.

Only 4 movies in history have broken the $2 Billion mark. 

It's not like going to the plate everytime and saying, "I'm going to hit a home run", it's like going to the plate and saying "I'm going to hit an inside the park home run." 

4 minutes ago, Werner_Von_Doom said:

You do, if you had two regular customers that spent $5 everyday. Then you hired Rian Johnson who pissed in the lemonade in front of one those customers.

No. It's not a loss. 

Haters gonna hate, but that's not how it works.

Because it's not realistic.

Only 4 movies in history have broken the $2 Billion mark. 

It's not like going to the plate everytime and saying, "I'm going to hit a home run", it's like going to the plate and saying "I'm going to hit an inside the park home run." 

Perhaps, but it can certainly be argued that Star Wars properties are a special case.  The franchise already prints money, do you want to settle for being a .300 hitter, or are you trying to kick in the door at Cooperstown?

1 minute ago, Chuck Gower said:

Good answer...because...

...even though it DID go down, it's unrealistic to think it could stay at that level, with continued at bats.

Baseball is a bad analogy though since we are talking about 600ish at bats.  You’re better off looking at football or MMA, where the lower frequency of competition yields a better chance at perfection.  Even still, perfection remains fleeting, but not impossible.

1 minute ago, mattn792 said:

Perhaps, but it can certainly be argued that Star Wars properties are a special case.  The franchise already prints money, do you want to settle for being a .300 hitter, or are you trying to kick in the door at Cooperstown?

Uh... doing $1 Billion at the box office is NOT like hitting .300 in the majors.

$1 Billion at the box office has only been done, what.. 30-40 times in history? There's that many .300+ hitters a year.

$1 Billion at the box office would be like hitting .359, with 40 home runs and 120 rbi's.

$2 Billion is like hitting .390 with 55 home runs, and 140 rbi's.

Both are MVP season, but there's no way you're consistently doing the second, year after year.

Even the first is hard as hell.

3 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

Uh... doing $1 Billion at the box office is NOT like hitting .300 in the majors.

$1 Billion at the box office has only been done, what.. 30-40 times in history? There's that many .300+ hitters a year.

$1 Billion at the box office would be like hitting .359, with 40 home runs and 120 rbi's.

$2 Billion is like hitting .390 with 55 home runs, and 140 rbi's.

Both are MVP season, but there's no way you're consistently doing the second, year after year.

Even the first is hard as hell.

30-40 per year?  It’s not 1998 anymore, there’s 18 at present.  Still a good number, sure.

But is a billion dollar box office not also getting more common (I’m just speaking anecdotally, I don’t know offhand)?

4 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Baseball is a bad analogy though since we are talking about 600ish at bats.  You’re better off looking at football or MMA, where the lower frequency of competition yields a better chance at perfection.  Even still, perfection remains fleeting, but not impossible.

There's only 30-40 movies that have ever broken $1 Billion!!!

Jiminy Freakin' Christmas. Tom Brady and Peyton Manning neither one could throw 50 TD's a season.

There's only 30-40 movies that have ever broken $1 Billion!!!

Jiminy Freakin' Christmas. Tom Brady and Peyton Manning neither one could throw 50 TD's a season.

You can’t talk individual players if we’re going to refer to football in this analogy, it would be teams.  And ONE has been perfect.  One.  Difficult?  Yes.  Impossible?  No.

UFC, where we could talk individuals — LW champ Khabib Nurmagomedov is undefeated.  Will he stay undefeated come October?  We’ll see.

Does Star Wars want to be the Dolphins/Khabib of movies?  Or is it OK being the 2000 Ravens/ Matt Serra?

3 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

30-40 per year?  It’s not 1998 anymore, there’s 18 at present.  Still a good number, sure.

But is a billion dollar box office not also getting more common (I’m just speaking anecdotally, I don’t know offhand)?

It is, thanks to a growing foreign market. Making it something to shoot for as a big budget movie.

$2 Billion? Not so much. 2 in the last 9 years, and 2 other prior to that.

3 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

You can’t talk individual players if we’re going to refer to football in this analogy, it would be teams.  And ONE has been perfect.  One.  Difficult?  Yes.  Impossible?  No.

UFC, where we could talk individuals — LW champ Khabib Nurmagomedov is undefeated.  Will he stay undefeated come October?  We’ll see.

Does Star Wars want to be the Dolphins/Khabib of movies?  Or is it OK being the 2000 Ravens/ Matt Serra?

They're not upset when they make a BILLION dollars at the box office. They're not firing anyone for it.