• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

antiques roadshow Avengers 1

20 posts in this topic

Just watched the season priemere of antiques roadshow (Spokane) and someone brought in a box of comics that they had there mom bid on at an auction and got for $24 . The guy picked 2 comics out to grade and value. Avengers # 1 and # 2 . Graded the Avengers #1 at VG- and the #2 at VG+. Value for #2 was like $500 but he had the value of the #1 at $4-6K Seemed a little high but was an interesting episode.

its repeated I think Wed night but if anyone wants to watch it you can at there website below.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/video/index.html

Makes me wonder about the pricing they do on other colectibles

Duh, there aren't buying the stuff. The are buying ratings and what better way than to declare something worth thousands.

Off stage he'll probably offer the guy 300.00 for the whole box.

did they have the books thumb tacked to the felt board :o

Yes, they were on the board but with metal clips not tacks.

It's the first appraisal on the link and also accessible directly from the website, along with a segment with some other books: Nick Fury #2, FF #72, Captain Marvel #1, X-Men #4 and #12; all of them low grade.

The appraiser, James Supp of Coronado Trading Company of Tucson wasn't terrible but obviously doesn't specialize in funnybooks. He gave the #1 a VG- and the #2 a VG+ but the values he gave were a bit north of real life.

His website says he's "been an avid collector of antique tools for over 25 years. He's not simply a collector, though, as he actually uses his tools, restoring artifacts and producing finely crafted reproductions using authentic methods."

I think I recall someone telling me, unrelated to comics, that most of the "values" they put on objects on AR are meant to be for the purpose of the owner insuring them (as if you were deciding how much your collectibles were worth to get an umbrella policy to insure them above homeowners). For those purposes the numbers are always higher. That's the only thing that would make sense to me.

I wish the guy gave a time frame of when his mom bought those books. WHat a bargain at $24 for all those books.

any time I see someone who doesn't know anything about comic books handle them-- especially anything this old--- it makes me cringe. While the guy may have put some over value to them-- that helped the hobby in the long run as they did stress the importance of condition. Having him point out some of the issues was useful too.

With any luck- this will educate novice owners to handle these items with care.

thanks for sharing the link.

Makes me wonder about the pricing they do on other colectibles

Pretty sure they give the insurance replacement value for all items, which is like 25% over retail or something like that.

They often specify if it's an insurance value or an auction value.

I've heard them discuss the insurance value as being double the low end auction estimate.

So, an item is appraised for 5-7k at auction; gets an insurance number of 10

I know a lot about comics. More than most, not as much as many others. And it always shocks me when I read/see such amazing inaccuracies, whether it's about value or it's about creators or history or whatever.

And it always makes me think: if there are that many errors about comic books, errors that a schlub like me realizes quickly, how many other errors are there about significantly more important stuff, like politics or world events or healthcare.

If they can't spell Joe Shuster's name right, how do I expect them to be able to tell me accurately what's happening in the Middle East?

Rant over.

I know a lot about comics. More than most, not as much as many others. And it always shocks me when I read/see such amazing inaccuracies, whether it's about value or it's about creators or history or whatever.

And it always makes me think: if there are that many errors about comic books, errors that a schlub like me realizes quickly, how many other errors are there about significantly more important stuff, like politics or world events or healthcare.

If they can't spell Joe Shuster's name right, how do I expect them to be able to tell me accurately what's happening in the Middle East?

Rant over.

you're right.... trust nothing

Thanks for sharing. It's always nice to see vintage comics on tv shows. The appraiser seemed to get the grades about right on both books just based on what we could see on the front covers. His appraisal was high on the #1 of course. The 2 may have been about right. Probably around $2500 tops for the pair. Still a good buy for only $24.

I didn't catch what year the mom bought the box of comics for $24?

I don't know of any collectibles experts that would thumbtack comics to a board for presentation. Those comics are like fish out of water with no Mylars or boards lol

I am always happy to see any show have some comic books on but thrilled such a popular one did it.

Anyone here watch Garage Gold on DIY Network. They clean out a persons garage for free BUT the key is they get to keep whatever they find in the garage. All except cash and metals like gold..This weeks show they found a box of comics. About 100 . Looked like some silver age spiderman issues. They took the 2 most valuable out of the box. ASM 31 & 34. They appraised Amazing Spider man issues 31 & 34 both looking VG as being worth $30 each and said there was another dozen silver age issues worth about $10 each and the whole box was worth $250. A more realistic appraisal.

Below is the website with the info , the show was titled Man Child Makeover

http://www.diynetwork.com/shows/garage-gold/episodes/400/man-child-makeover

I am always happy to see any show have some comic books on but thrilled such a popular one did it.

Anyone here watch Garage Gold on DIY Network. They clean out a persons garage for free BUT the key is they get to keep whatever they find in the garage. All except cash and metals like gold..This weeks show they found a box of comics. About 100 . Looked like some silver age spiderman issues. They took the 2 most valuable out of the box. ASM 31 & 34. They appraised Amazing Spider man issues 31 & 34 both looking VG as being worth $30 each and said there was another dozen silver age issues worth about $10 each and the whole box was worth $250. A more realistic appraisal.

Below is the website with the info , the show was titled Man Child Makeover

http://www.diynetwork.com/shows/garage-gold/episodes/400/man-child-makeover

that sounds like a cool idea for a show.

i don't trust these storage locker/picker shows anymore.. it's all staged for ratings.

however, finding a box worth only $250 is totally plausible (and more likely that striking comic gold)