• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Potential Comic Art Fans Scam Alert

199 posts in this topic

Just wanted to alert everyone here about a possible CAF scam. A collector by the name of Julie Johnston opened a gallery with some art and wrote she was open to offers. I made an offer on one piece, and was offered an additional one which I also accepted. Payment was made with a credit card on a website provided by her called square.com. Payments were made on 12/26 and 12/28.

She stated she would be away until after new years, and will send it afterwards. That was understandable and acceptable to me. So after a few more small delays, it was supposedly shipped last week. I asked for a tracking number a few times, but it was never provided. Many excuses were given and eventually I was told the tracking information was accidentally thrown away.

Today, one week since the ship date, nothing had arrived, and I was told the package was RETURNED to them. Since the package was returned, the tracking number should be on the package, and I asked for it. But again, it was not provided. And there should be no reason the package was returned since the address I provided was correct, and no notices were left for me. At this point, I have already filed a claim with my credit card for both charges. Just too much sounds fishy here, and the lack of communication has not helped.

Just wanted to warn anyone who is considering buying a piece from this individual. Here is the link to her gallery:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=109689

Edited by AnkurJ

Just wanted to alert everyone here about a possible CAF scam. A collector by the name of Julie Johnston opened a gallery with some art and wrote she was open to offers. I made an offer on one piece, and was offered an additional one which I also accepted. Payment was made with a credit card on a website provided by her called square.com. Payments were made on 12/26 and 12/28.

She stated she would be away until after new years, and will send it afterwards. That was understandable and acceptable to me. So after a few more small delays, it was supposedly shipped last week. I asked for a tracking number a few times, but it was never provided. Many excuses were given and eventually I was told the tracking information was accidentally thrown away.

Today, one week since the ship date, nothing had arrived, and I was told the package was RETURNED to them. Since the package was returned, the tracking number should be on the package, and I asked for it. But again, it was not provided. And there should be no reason the package was returned since the address I provided was correct, and no notices were left for me. At this point, I have already filed a claim with my credit card for both charges. Just too much sounds fishy here, and the lack of communication has not helped.

Just wanted to warn anyone who is considering buying a piece from this individual. Here is the link to her gallery:

She accepted your offer??

That's a red flag right there

lol

oEhVvjZ.gif

Seriously though. Good move paying by CC. I am sure you're covered. Make sure to post how it turns out. Maybe the art will show up. :wishluck:

Oh I lost the tracking number. Ok the package was returned to me.

well can you give me the tracking number off the package?

Oh it got rubbed off.

Well can you take a pic of the returned package with the label on it with my address and send it?

Oh my cell phone is acting up.

etc

It's always good to ask for a few references in regard to who they've sold or traded two in the past if it's not someone you know. I've pretty much have nothing but good experiences with people in this community, but it's not as small as it once was, and the price tags are getting higher.

She accepted your offer??

That's a red flag right there

lol

:roflmao:

(worship)

It should also be noted that she was posting art that she "liked" in a folder without making any mention that she did not own it. Bill Cox was notified about this and subsequently shut it down. I'm sure He'd be interested in the info the OP has posted also.

This "collector" has also adopted the methodology of reposting the same art every few days to remain on the new art list, obviously to draw more eyes to her scam. :mad:

It should also be noted that she was posting art that she "liked" in a folder without making any mention that she did not own it. Bill Cox was notified about this and subsequently shut it down. I'm sure He'd be interested in the info the OP has posted also.

This "collector" has also adopted the methodology of reposting the same art every few days to remain on the new art list, obviously to draw more eyes to her scam. :mad:

I thought so. I knew I'd seen that Linsner Thor had been posted several times.

Michael Browning

Comicartfans was emailed about this earlier today. What they do about it remains to be seen.

If it is just a "normal" disputed transaction, Bill usually tries not to get involved. But if it is a scam, like the one I ran into before, he will shut down the gallery.

I didn't know about the galleries using the like feature before. That would be a red flag and I'm surprised the gallery wasn't shut down then.

Malvin

Man that sucks...

This scam makes no sense to me. The credit card should get AJ his money back and hopefully grab the money back from the scammer. Seems like a lot of work trying to run off with money that you won't be able to keep for long. I guess it could have been worse if it was a bank account transaction, but anyway not saying that scammers are the brightest when it comes to making a quick buck. Unless I'm completely wrong and the credit card company has to eat the money then I guess it does work for the scammer.

Thanks for the heads up too. Luckily they have nothing I desire.

At this point, I have already filed a claim with my credit card for both charges. Just too much sounds fishy here, and the lack of communication has not helped.

If you can't reach "her" by email then there MUST be a way to get her phone number and you could call. hm

I was googling possible scam because I bought the Greg Hildebrandt casting couch piece from her and something didn't seem right. I was curious which ones did you try to buy from her.

Even though my alarm bells were ringing I will say that after doing some basic due diligence, the biggest factor being that after googling superbatgirlravager she has her own store selling hats she makes that has over 100 likes on facebook (could be BS likes I know) and attached an aol email address apart from corresponding on comicartfans that matches the store email address (so it's not someone spoofing that store).

I just don't know what they would be thinking to put their other "business" at risk for a relatively small amount of money that wasn't sent with moneygram or western union so is more then likely recoupable to begin with. This scam just doesn't make sense to me which is why I thought it was legitimate.

Just a quick update. The scammers gallery has been closed down by CAF. Bill Cox also shut down my gallery because I questioned how they handle fraud like this. Caveat emptor.

That makes no sense. Why would they remove your gallery? You did nothing wrong in this transaction.

Just a quick update. The scammers gallery has been closed down by CAF. Bill Cox also shut down my gallery because I questioned how they handle fraud like this. Caveat emptor.

Was there anything more to your interaction with Bill?

Was this all by email? Sometimes words are misconstrued in writing.

Perhaps you should call him on the phone.

One thing Ankur: Did you mention anything re: legal action/consequences (for Bill) on the subject? If so, it's standard practice of most businesses -if the subject comes up in any way, even hinting the business and/or ownership may bear legal risk- to immediately cease all unrelated activity with that individual. This is your basic CYA, not personal but just safe to limit liability. Not every business explains this though.

Or maybe it's something else entirely!

Here was my email to Bill. I will not post his replies for privacy but basically he said its between the buyer and seller.

Bill,

Shouldn't her gallery be removed if she is scamming people?

Ankur

And:

Very comforting to know the site has zero responsibility.