• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tribute To Creig Flessel
4 4

444 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

Did a Board member pick up this NA #32 on Clink?  

Comic Link :: The Online Vintage Comic Book and Comic Art Auction and Exchange

No a bad price considering it's in a PGX holder.

If link would not send me 6 E-mails a day saying Auction ending soon i might have seen this book. pgx or not i would have paid more than it went for. So e-mail me if your the winner and want to make a fast flip.

On 8/10/2021 at 12:58 PM, Primetime said:

Perhaps his signature was somewhere along the perimeter and it was cut off on the original art when it went to sizing and print…

Or perhaps it's under that text banner?  Does the CGC label include any notation that O'Mealia did the Fu Manchu interior?  Maybe it's under that glare?  Fu Manchu is a reprint from previously published newspaper strips (1931-32).  There is a really terrific modern reprint (1989, Malibu Graphics Inc) which contains all of the Detective Fu Manchu interiors.

On 8/10/2021 at 2:49 PM, Yorick said:

Or perhaps it's under that text banner?  Does the CGC label include any notation that O'Mealia did the Fu Manchu interior?  Maybe it's under that glare?  Fu Manchu is a reprint from previously published newspaper strips (1931-32).  There is a really terrific modern reprint (1989, Malibu Graphics Inc) which contains all of the Detective Fu Manchu interiors.

The second generation CGC label on this copy certainly does not mention O’Mealia as the Fu Manchu artist. :p

Edited by Primetime

On 8/24/2021 at 2:42 PM, Yorick said:

With a date stamp of 1937!  Is this the earliest example of Flessel's work to survive?

Oh I know, I about flipped when I saw the title and date stamp! 

As far as I know, this is the earliest known surviving page. The artwork for the text story in Detective #11 is out there, but that book is cover dated Jan 1938 & appears to have hit the newsstands 12/30/37. The Star Ranger #2 is cover dated April 1937 and was apparently on the stands 3/10/37. The Detective #11 is signed "Creig Flessel Algiers 1937", but no specific date is noted. Being on the stands 9 months prior to the Detective, I'd guess that the Star Ranger was done quite a bit in advance of the Detective art. I'd love to own that Detective piece!!!