• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Text Paste-Up missing. Do you restore?

10 posts in this topic

If I bought the page primarily for the art and it wasn't a story that held nostalgia for me I would probably leave it as is. If it was from a favorite issue and/or the missing dialog meant something I might consider getting it replaced. I would also think you might be able to color match (at least closely) so that it blends in better.

I'd have it restored by someone with a paper restoration background. Here's my standard answer in this situation:

A couple of items come up pretty on this topic:

• Signature placement
    • The signature should be confined to the margin and not on the art.
    • To ensure proper placement, it's a good idea to have the page in a plastic bag with a hole at the spot for the signature and a big red arrow pointing at the opening. Most won't remove the piece and you are more likely to get it where you want it.

[*] Dedications

• Dedications will generally lower the value of the piece especially for unpublished art.
    • This is the opposite of author signatures in a book which per Antiques Roadshow increase the value. Odd.

[*] Signing implement

• A good pen should be used/supplied.
      • I like the gel ball points. They don't seem to blot, smear, or fade.
      • Someone suggested using Sakura's markers. They are fine tipped and archival quality ink, He suggested that they won't ruin the art and may last longer than the ink on the page. Same marker that Jim Lee uses to ink his own pages.

[*] Reviews: Ballpoint, Rollerball, or Gel and To Put a Fine Point on It - Which pens are best? among lots of others that Google can provide.

[*] Markers fade, pencils smear.

I've had one recommendation for these two:

I prefer in person if I can make it happen as I also like to get a picture of the art and the artist if I can.

Hope this helps.