• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Doctor Who Series

252 posts in this topic

That's because both are based loosely on the robot stories of Isaac Asimov. While "Robots of Death" borrowed much of his take on robots and the Three Laws of Robotics, which he created, the film I ROBOT was intended as an adaptation of his short story collection of the same name but barely came close to being in the spirit of the Asimov stories and largely just borrowed a few character names, the notion of the laws, and some other cosmetic details.

Tough one, as it changes from time to time but *a* top three might be:

Caves of Androzani

The Daemons

Robots of Death

My favorite Doctor is Peter Davison as the Fifth, with Jon Pertwee's Third as a very close second and sometimes flipping with Davison as first.

Androzani was a really great ep in what i thought was an otherwise uninspired 5th incarnation. I liked Peter Davidson a lot in All Things Great And Small but he just didn't quite pull it off as the Dr for me. Close, but not quite. (I general I liked the stories though. Books were better.)

Always Having had a thing for vampires, State of Decay is one of my fave eps.

Many will hate me for it, but so is Earthshock. Adrick was kinda a cool character and he has one of the best sidekick deaths in the history of sidekickdom, i think.

If you're a fan of Doctor Who (like I am) and are looking forward to the new series, then go ahead and post here. You can even discuss the Doctor Who comic book if you want.

The new show has to go back to the seriousness and subtle humor of the 3rd and 4th Doctor episodes (from the 70's) for it to work . We don't need any multi-colored long coats, question marked umbrellas, or circus related sets. We just need good story-telling and believable monsters.

Isn't this off topic ????

But don't worry - you won't be disappointed. And England is in the middle of a media blitz which makes a US Presidential Election look like a school PTA meeting.

Tough one, as it changes from time to time but *a* top three might be:

Caves of Androzani

The Daemons

Robots of Death

My favorite Doctor is Peter Davison as the Fifth, with Jon Pertwee's Third as a very close second and sometimes flipping with Davison as first.

Androzani was a really great ep in what i thought was an otherwise uninspired 5th incarnation. I liked Peter Davidson a lot in All Things Great And Small but he just didn't quite pull it off as the Dr for me. Close, but not quite. (I general I liked the stories though. Books were better.)

Always Having had a thing for vampires, State of Decay is one of my fave eps.

Many will hate me for it, but so is Earthshock. Adrick was kinda a cool character and he has one of the best sidekick deaths in the history of sidekickdom, i think.

Actually, "State of Decay" and "Earthshock" are two of my top 20 favorite Doctor Who shows. Good choices. thumbsup2.gif

Actually, "State of Decay" and "Earthshock" are two of my top 20 favorite Doctor Who shows. Good choices.

I was the -script consultant during this period.

Nine days to go....................................

Actually, "State of Decay" and "Earthshock" are two of my top 20 favorite Doctor Who shows. Good choices.

I was the -script consultant during this period.

Nine days to go....................................

As long as you weren't involved with the scripts for "Delta and the Bannerman", "Paradise Towers" or "The Greatest Show in the Galaxy" foreheadslap.gif

As long as you weren't involved with the scripts for "Delta and the Bannerman", "Paradise Towers" or "The Greatest Show in the Galaxy"

I had left by then, and I left because, to me, Bonnie Langford was the last straw in an endless stream of excesses.

By the way, it's sad that, because the episodes don't exist any more, US fans have never seen some of the greatest shows. The Dalek Master Plan, the latter half of the episode called "Bell Of Doom" (which was part four of The Massacre Of St. Bartholomews Eve), The Celestial Toymaker, and Fury From The Deep.

Was just reading the Seventh Doctor Special, which talks a lot about Ian's participation in various interviews at that time. Ian knows his stuff, no doubt about it. And I've heard he has a Dalek too. wink.gif

well i hope he's been feeding him all this time....and letting him out of his pepper pot every now and then.....it would have to be awfully stale in there now.

As long as you weren't involved with the scripts for "Delta and the Bannerman", "Paradise Towers" or "The Greatest Show in the Galaxy"

I had left by then, and I left because, to me, Bonnie Langford was the last straw in an endless stream of excesses.

By the way, it's sad that, because the episodes don't exist any more, US fans have never seen some of the greatest shows. The Dalek Master Plan, the latter half of the episode called "Bell Of Doom" (which was part four of The Massacre Of St. Bartholomews Eve), The Celestial Toymaker, and Fury From The Deep.

It kills me that I'll never be able to see some episodes of Doctor Who. I've spent thousands of dollars purchasing every single existing episode. I hate looking at those telesnaps with a narrator recaping a missing episode story, but what can I do. However, I'm still a little peeved that the existing black and white version of episode 1 of the the Dinosaurs hasn't been released yet.

I'm actually more interested in the Troughton missing episodes than Hartnell's. I hated the fact that Ian (not you Ian) called all the shots for the 1st doctor.

Ian:

did PBS get some of those episodes you say never aired here in the US, because I've seen both the Celestial Toymaker and the Dalek Master Plan. Not anytime recently, but about 10 years ago. I remember the Celestial Toymaker very vividly...

Ian:

did PBS get some of those episodes you say never aired here in the US, because I've seen both the Celestial Toymaker and the Dalek Master Plan. Not anytime recently, but about 10 years ago. I remember the Celestial Toymaker very vividly...

Two out of twelve episodes of the Dalek Masterplan do exist, and episode 4 of the Toymaker. If you've seen others, then please do tell. hail.gif

skybolt:

I think I may have only seen the one episode, but I definitely remember it because it was one of the first william hartnell episodes I saw.

the Dalek Masterplan is another I may have only seen a piece of.

The Celestial Toymaker just stuck out in my head so much that when Ian brought it up it triggered my curiousity.

I love Dr. Who, it's strange, for years growing up in the US I was the only one of my friends who liked Who stuff and I just loved the charm of that show!

I'm actually more interested in the Troughton missing episodes than Hartnell's. I hated the fact that Ian Chesterton called all the shots for the 1st doctor.

Er ?????????????

Have we been watching the same show ?????

NOBODY called the shots for Hartnell. The role was created for him.

"For your science, schoolmaster, not for ours, I tell you that while your race was learning to walk our scientists had reduced the movement through the farthest reaches of space and time to a game for children."

I'm actually more interested in the Troughton missing episodes than Hartnell's. I hated the fact that Ian Chesterton called all the shots for the 1st doctor.

Er ?????????????

Have we been watching the same show ?????

NOBODY called the shots for Hartnell. The role was created for him.

"For your science, schoolmaster, not for ours, I tell you that while your race was learning to walk our scientists had reduced the movement through the farthest reaches of space and time to a game for children."

I just remember Ian sitting down planning a takeover of the Dalek city, while the Doctor was playing around with the younger Thals . Plus, he consistently made bad decisions and needed an earthling to set him straight. makepoint.gif