• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Doctor Who Series

252 posts in this topic

What I want to know is what was the "Time War" the Doctor kept referring to? Did that actually happen in the previous continuity? Are there episodes which cover it?

And what happen to Davros?

What I want to know is what was the "Time War" the Doctor kept referring to? Did that actually happen in the previous continuity? Are there episodes which cover it?

No. It's something we're told happened sometime between the Paul McGann 1996 TV movie, and the episode "Rose".

No. It's something we're told happened sometime between the Paul McGann 1996 TV movie, and the episode "Rose".

Does it mess any of the continuity up?

Jim

I have a feeling that during the 2nd or 3rd seasons of the new series, the Doctor will break all Time Lord laws and go back in time to try and help the Time Lords against the Daleks. I'm sure everything will be explained by then. Giving us a preview now is a nice build up to when the story actually takes place. Of course I still haven't seen a single episode of the new series since I live in the U.S. foreheadslap.gif

I have a feeling that during the 2nd or 3rd seasons of the new series, the Doctor will break all Time Lord laws and go back in time to try and help the Time Lords against the Daleks. I'm sure everything will be explained by then. Giving us a preview now is a nice build up to when the story actually takes place. Of course I still haven't seen a single episode of the new series since I live in the U.S. foreheadslap.gif

Don't worry...It'll be worth the wait... thumbsup2.gif

Jim

Does it mess any of the continuity up?

No.

Besides, if you adhere too closely to continuity you end up in a mess that's so complicated that you alienate the casual viewer.

A bit like what's happened to DC comics.

it really is worth the wait....my brother ships me vhs with the eps...

the first 5 are really great and Eccleston is pretty darn good as the Doctor...it's just too bad he wouldn't sign for more than 1 season.

it really is worth the wait....my brother ships me vhs with the eps...

the first 5 are really great and Eccleston is pretty darn good as the Doctor...it's just too bad he wouldn't sign for more than 1 season.

I watched a clip of the regeneration scene on the BBC website, and the new Doctor seems a bit immature. I just hope it's due to the typical after effects of a Tome Lord regeneration.

In the mean time, I've been catching up on some of the old episodes on VHS and DVD. This weekend I watched "The Krotons", a 2nd Doctor episode which I hadn't seen before, and one of my favorites, "Invasion of Time" from the 4th Doctor. I love that show not because of battle scenes but because of the banter between the Doctor and Barusa.....classic stuff! I then started watching "Revelation of the Daleks" before the weekend ended. Between me and my brother, we've pretty much purchased every single existing episode on either VHS or DVD. It cost us around $3K or $4K.

I've been toying with the idea of building a Who dvd collection...but tween comics, cards, mcfarlanes and books...i think my wife would get visibly angry with me if i started a new collection of anything.

foreheadslap.gif

yah....that's pretty much what's holding me back....

if the were more widely produced and available for 10-15$ then i think i'd be all over em...

i generally just by tom baker eps for my mom for xmas or b-day....that's her fave.

yah....that's pretty much what's holding me back....

if the were more widely produced and available for 10-15$ then i think i'd be all over em...

i generally just by tom baker eps for my mom for xmas or b-day....that's her fave.

That's true. Plus with the advent of a DVD burner, my brother and I would each own all the episodes, while splitting the cost.

What I loved about the Tom Baker episodes is that the Doctor was always portrayed as someone ingenius. I loved how he'd point out errors in other brilliant scientist's formulas, when he solved puzzles that no one had a clue about, or even when he talked scientific gibberish that went right over my head. This is what made Doctor Who unique. That's what also made the Master or Davros so special since they would have to outwit the Doctor in order achieve their cosmos conquering goals.

However, it seemed that with the 5th, and especially the 6th and 7th Doctors, they basically dumbed down the show to gain a broader audience. It was almost like the Doctor had become a space ranger that used minor tricks to defeat his enemies instead of his brains.

The one criticizm I keep hearing over and over again about the new series is that the Doctor is constantly dependant on others to save the day for him. I just hope that's not the case and the Doctor is given enough depth to showcase how brilliant he can really be.

so far...in the episodes i've seen, i don't think he's been too dependant on others to solve the mystery/stop the baddie.

Rose plays the critical role of companion in danger or companion in the knick of time quite well. Yes he's had help in all the eps that I've seen, but hey, if doesn't make allies/friends in an ep, it'll be rather boring. Of course, I've only seen the first 5 or so...things might go downhill from there.

What I loved about the Tom Baker episodes is that the Doctor was always portrayed as someone ingenius. I loved how he'd point out errors in other brilliant scientist's formulas, when he solved puzzles that no one had a clue about, or even when he talked scientific gibberish that went right over my head. This is what made Doctor Who unique. That's what also made the Master or Davros so special since they would have to outwit the Doctor in order achieve their cosmos conquering goals.

It's what separates it from the Star Treks and Battlestar Galacticas of this world.

In fact the only other show that came close was Babylon 5.

It's what separates it from the Star Treks and Battlestar Galacticas of this world.

In fact the only other show that came close was Babylon 5.

You know what Ian, I might have to check out Babylon 5 one of these days.

I have the first season of Babylon 5 on DvD and can't get past the fourth episode...when does the story get interesting? And I'm sure it does based on the fan, bordering on cult, devotion to the series. And I mean that in a good way...

Jim

I have the first season of Babylon 5 on DvD and can't get past the fourth episode...when does the story get interesting? And I'm sure it does based on the fan, bordering on cult, devotion to the series. And I mean that in a good way...

I have said this many times.

The first few episodes don't pull you into the web. Watch the episode called "Signs And Portents" before you watch any other, and you'll begin to understand. Then go back and start watching at the beginning. That way you'll be hooked.

Jim

S1 was slow for about the first half...and was mostly character growth and intro...stick with it....well worth it....

According to Outpost Gallifrey, K-9 and Sarah maybe making an appearnace during the second season of the new Doctor Who series. The return of K-9 was definitely something I was looking forward to in addition to finally seeing a Dalek/Cyberman war, a confrontation between the Master and Davros, and maybe the return of the Doctor to E-Space to meet up with Romana again.

Here's the link:

http://www.gallifreyone.com/newstv.php

Now that's cool

K-9 was cool.

Wonder if they're going to update him at all.

And hey....that OG link was great. Immediately added to the bookmarks.

Still nothing about it being picked up in the US though.