• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Doctor Who Series

252 posts in this topic

But he does vote as an independent.

Then he doesn't fit the bible-belt "redneck" stereotype I was trying to portray.

And before I'm accusing of going off-topic, this was all in relation to Doctor Who.

Dr.Who is having relations with a bible-belt redneck ?? 893whatthe.gif

I thought it was Billie Piper he was trying to get his leg over confused-smiley-013.gif

But he does vote as an independent.

Then he doesn't fit the bible-belt "redneck" stereotype I was trying to portray.

And before I'm accusing of going off-topic, this was all in relation to Doctor Who.

Dr.Who is having relations with a bible-belt redneck ?? 893whatthe.gif

I thought it was Billie Piper he was trying to get his leg over confused-smiley-013.gif

If he has red hair and can buy an expensive car then he can get his leg over no problem.

I've watched the last five episodes and have to say the series isn't nearly as bad as I'd imagined. It not great but there has been worse sci-fi and far worse Who episodes than these. The Dalek episode last week has been the high point so far.

With that said...Christopher Eccleston' s Doctor Who is great. The series would be much worse off without his performance. I know he's leaving after this set of episodes and it's a damn shame. He's turning out to be my favorite Who since Baker.

Jim

I like this series even more than my last post. My wife is even hooked on the show now. Overall the episodes are above par with a few exceptions (there was a recent two parter where the Doctor and Rose go back to WWII London that was just OK). The highlight of the show is Christopher Eccleston's portrayal of the Doctor. His performance is absolutely wonderful and it's a damn shame he's only doing 13 episodes. He quickly becoming the best Doctor of them all (that I've seen and I admit I've missed two or three of the minor ones). Only Baker was better and that's even coming into question depending on how he does in the final episodes. Can't say enough good about his Doctor. thumbsup2.gif

I believe there's only two or three episodes left in this series. frown.gif But this week it seems the Daleks are back in force... 893applaud-thumb.gif

Jim

I like this series even more than my last post. My wife is even hooked on the show now. Overall the episodes are above par with a few exceptions (there was a recent two parter where the Doctor and Rose go back to WWII London that was just OK). The highlight of the show is Christopher Eccleston's portrayal of the Doctor. His performance is absolutely wonderful and it's a damn shame he's only doing 13 episodes. He quickly becoming the best Doctor of them all (that I've seen and I admit I've missed two or three of the minor ones). Only Baker was better and that's even coming into question depending on how he does in the final episodes. Can't say enough good about his Doctor. thumbsup2.gif

I believe there's only two or three episodes left in this series. frown.gif But this week it seems the Daleks are back in force... 893applaud-thumb.gif

Jim

Thank for the update Jim,

I guess I'll sit back and wait for the DVD to come out. However, it does seem that most of the episodes are taking place on Earth. I hope that with Season 2, the Doctor gets to travel to other planets more.

there was a recent two parter where the Doctor and Rose go back to WWII London that was just OK

Just okay ???

Are you joking ???

It was a work of art. My favourite of this whole brilliant series.

I have tried three times to get through Battlestar Galactica and never get past episode four. It's dry and humourless, somewhat akin to chewing corrugated cardboard.

Doctor Who has magic and a sense of true wonder.

there was a recent two parter where the Doctor and Rose go back to WWII London that was just OK

Just okay ???

Are you joking ???

It was a work of art. My favourite of this whole brilliant series.

Not joking at all...it wasn't worth two episodes and I found it the most boring of the whole series.

I will agree though the new series is generally great but I'm not going to say an episode is good when it's not... frustrated.gif

If you liked it fine...I found it barely watchable and the ending stupid...it's only redeeming factor was the addition of Captain Jack...

Battlestar Galactica is the best sci-fi show since Seasons 4-7 of Deep Space Nine in my opinion. It's supposed to be grim Ian...that's the point.

Jim

Not joking at all...it wasn't worth two episodes and I found it the most boring of the whole series.

Battlestar Galactica is the best sci-fi show since Seasons 4-7 of Deep Space Nine in my opinion. It's supposed to be grim Ian...that's the point.

Lets just charitably say that your idea of TV science fiction that you enjoy, and my idea of it, are utterly diametrically opposed.

But I do love Babylon 5.

Nearly as much, but not quite, as Doctor Who.

But I do love Babylon 5.

Nearly as much, but not quite, as Doctor Who.

I loved the original Star Trek, but Doctor Who has always been leaps and bounds beyond any other sci-fi show. I even cherish crappy episodes like the Web Planet, Delta and the Bennerman, and the Twin Dilemma since they're an intricate part of the show, and serve to progress the characters.

Lets just charitably say that your idea of TV science fiction that you enjoy, and my idea of it, are utterly diametrically opposed.

Why am I not surprised...

But since I do like the new Doctor Who, wouldn't that make my sci-fi tastes more broad that yours vs diametrically opposed... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

I even cherish crappy episodes like the Web Planet, Delta and the Bennerman, and the Twin Dilemma since they're an intricate part of the show, and serve to progress the characters.

The other two are indeed crappy, but The Web Planet wasn't. Over ambitious maybe, but a stunning achievement for a tiny little studio in 1965 and an all-in budget of just two thousand pounds.

I even cherish crappy episodes like the Web Planet, Delta and the Bennerman, and the Twin Dilemma since they're an intricate part of the show, and serve to progress the characters.

The other two are indeed crappy, but The Web Planet wasn't. Over ambitious maybe, but a stunning achievement for a tiny little studio in 1965 and an all-in budget of just two thousand pounds.

Let's put it this way Ian, the show could have easily been shortened to 3 episodes instead of a whopping 6. There was definitely a lot of fluff material included that could have easily been taken out (same thing with "The Chase"). That being said, I still stick with my original statement that every single Doctor Who episode is special.

Let's put it this way Ian, the show could have easily been shortened to 3 episodes instead of a whopping 6. There was definitely a lot of fluff material included that could have easily been taken out (same thing with "The Chase"). That being said, I still stick with my original statement that every single Doctor Who episode is special.

Atmosphere and development. I loved the six parters.

Atmosphere and development. I loved the six parters.

Some six parters (The Daleks) and even 10 parters (The War Games) worked really well and were entertaining throughout, while others would have been much better off as 4 parters. For instance, "Planet of the Giants" was only a 3 part episode but was entertaining from start to finish. I liked the the 2 or 3 part "Edge of Destruction" as well. As far as the later Doctors are concerned, 7 parts were a tad too much for the "Invasion", but just right for "Inferno".

As far as the later Doctors are concerned, 7 parts were a tad too much for the "Invasion", but just right for "Inferno".

The Invasion was eight episodes of majestic brilliance, not seven. Directed by the all-time great Douglas Camfield. A true classic.