• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Doctor Who Series

252 posts in this topic

You're not in America, ya limey! Somebody get the rubber hose! We'll beat it outta him!!

My lips are sealed

So Ian, where would you rank this Doctor compared to the others. Maybe do a list from 1 to 9.

So Ian, where would you rank this Doctor compared to the others. Maybe do a list from 1 to 9.

Based on actors' performances, not on scripts, as follows.....

WILLIAM HARTNELL

PATRICK TROUGHTON

TOM BAKER

JON PERTWEE

CHRISTOPHER ECCLESTON

PETER DAVISON

PAUL McGANN

SYLVESTER McCOY

COLIN BAKER

Depends what you mean by original series - I've not seen that many of the Hartnell or Troughton episodes - I came in when Pertwee was the Doctor, and stuck around 'til the end of Tom Baker's 7 year run.

Overall, I'd say the series is worth investigating - the production values are much better than the low - budget efforts of the '70s and '80s, and the editing / direction is faster paced and edgier than before. Of course it does lack that claustrophobic feel that those old series used to have, but that was due to nearly all the action taking place indoors or in desolate locations.

Depends what you mean by original series - I've not seen that many of the Hartnell or Troughton episodes - I came in when Pertwee was the Doctor, and stuck around 'til the end of Tom Baker's 7 year run.

Overall, I'd say the series is worth investigating - the production values are much better than the low - budget efforts of the '70s and '80s, and the editing / direction is faster paced and edgier than before. Of course it does lack that claustrophobic feel that those old series used to have, but that was due to nearly all the action taking place indoors or in desolate locations.

The trailers for Episode 4 certainly seem interesting - "Aliens of London".

The trailers for Episode 4 certainly seem interesting - "Aliens of London".

Yep - I saw the trailer, and it looks good - Russell Davies seems to have got the mix of action, humour and drama about right. Plus London is featuring heavily in this series so far - which is about time.

I'm not British (Phew) but I can get BBC so I watched all three episodes with much delight. The first one was the weakest by far, second one was one of those "wacky" episodes but worked on many levels. The third one was the best so far IMHO, like Polka-dot boy said, a nice mixture of humour, adventure and horror.

Only thing that strikes me weird is that the good Doctor has turned into some kind of horndog....Not only was he hitting on a tree (you have to see the episode) but there's this weird sexual tension between him and his young ward (Billie Piper) which I never got when I watched Pertwee and Tom Baker as the Doctor 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

To all British guys out there. How were the first 3 episodes compared to the original series?

It's the hit of the year.

The BBC's top rated show after Eastenders, which is a long running soap opera.

The first episode got nearly eleven million viewers (unheard of for a UK drama).

Last weeks episode beat all the competition including the royal wedding, the Grand National horse race, Casualty (Previously the top BBC drama) and the other side's appalling Ant And Dec.

The audience appreciation (AI) has been over 80, again almost unheard of for the BBC.

A mega-hit. And utterly brilliant. Puts Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek, and Stargate to shame.

To all British guys out there. How were the first 3 episodes compared to the original series?

It's the hit of the year.

The BBC's top rated show after Eastenders, which is a long running soap opera.

The first episode got nearly eleven million viewers (unheard of for a UK drama).

Last weeks episode beat all the competition including the royal wedding, the Grand National horse race, Casualty (Previously the top BBC drama) and the other side's appalling Ant And Dec.

The audience appreciation (AI) has been over 80, again almost unheard of for the BBC.

A mega-hit. And utterly brilliant. Puts Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek, and Stargate to shame.

The U.S. better get on the ball, and purchase the episodes soon. This is rediculous. Christo_pull_hair.gif

I'm not British (Phew)

Damn near dutch speaking belgians wink.gif (psst get your own language, be original 27_laughing.gif)

I jest ^-^

I'm not British (Phew)

Damn near dutch speaking belgians wink.gif (psst get your own language, be original 27_laughing.gif)

Right, like Welsh is a language Owen... poke2.gif

Ahh now if you had said as if Gaelic was an accent (not that i speak it or anythign) that would have been a different matter. wink.gif

To makes matters worse my first name is Lewis. Thats two welsh names AND both can be reversed. I foudn this out when a guy in my class at uni is called Owen Lewis frown.gif Dang...

I watched all three episodes with much delight. The first one was the weakest by far, second one was one of those "wacky" episodes but worked on many levels. The third one was the best so far IMHO, like Polka-dot boy said, a nice mixture of humour, adventure and horror.

Doesn't surprise me too much. The first episodes of each Doctor have generally been sub-par.

1st Doctor - "An Unearthly Child" was an interesting show, but wasn't at the same level as the second episode "The Daleks".

2nd Doctor - I haven't seen "Power of the Daleks" since it's missing.

3rd Doctor - "Spearhead from Space" was fairly weak compared to other Pertwee episodes.

4th Doctor - "The Robot" was nothing compared to the second episode '"Ark in Space".

5th Doctor - "Castrovalva" could have easily been a 45 minute show....the plot was pretty thin.

6th Doctor - "The Twin Dilemma" was just an awful show that left a bad taste in my mouth.

7th Doctor - "Time and the Rani" - One of the worst Doctor Who episodes out there.

8th Doctor - The movie was a big disappointment.

The U.S. better get on the ball, and purchase the episodes soon. This is ridiculous.

It's MUCH too British for the mainstream US market.

It'll work in Australia, New Zealand, and Canada, but the US just won't "get" it at all. Can you imagine it appealing to someone on a farm in the middle of Arkansas who votes ?????

The U.S. better get on the ball, and purchase the episodes soon. This is ridiculous.

It's MUCH too British for the mainstream US market.

It'll work in Australia, New Zealand, and Canada, but the US just won't "get" it at all. Can you imagine it appealing to someone on a farm in the middle of Arkansas who votes ?????

I know a guy in Arkansas who works a farm and has a PhD in literature. He wouldn't watch Dr. Who because he'd say it was too lowbrow.

I asked one of my co-workers today who lives in the UK what he thought about the new series, and he raved about how good it is.

I haven't seen any Dr. Who episodes in years, but I'd love to check some out. I should go rent a few discs...