• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Doctor Who Series

252 posts in this topic

Well at least now I can get to watch the damn thing

I know it is off the comics topic, but you are in for a real treat. Episode 1 is a disappointment but stick with it. The Dalek episodes (3) and Blitz episodes (2) are particularly good. The BBC put massive resources into this. Eccleston is fantastic throughout ("I watched it happen, I made it happen" - episode 6). The full DVD set is released in the US in February.

Alan (UK)

laugh.gif The 2005 season of Doctor Who was really great, but

SPOILER WARNING

Eccleston leaving was a huge dissappointment and the Christmas special with the new doctor is unwatchably bad.

Christo_pull_hair.gif

You didn't like ? I thought it wasn't half bad. Mind you the "new" doctor was was playing a very minor role in the Xmas special and didn't get a lot of screen-time, but I thought his new personality opens possibilities.

But I did love Christopher Eccleston as the previous doctor though...

I have the first season of Babylon 5 on DvD and can't get past the fourth episode...when does the story get interesting? And I'm sure it does based on the fan, bordering on cult, devotion to the series. And I mean that in a good way...

Jim

S1 was slow for about the first half...and was mostly character growth and intro...stick with it....well worth it....

Yeah.

The first half of the first season was so-so.

And it really didn't start kicking butt until season 2.

Stay with it! thumbsup2.gif

... although I haven't been the same since Enterprise was cancelled ...

No accounting for taste I guess. 893censored-thumb.gif

No accounting for snobbery I guess, 893censored-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I know what I meant when I typed that but it didn't come out right! 27_laughing.gif

I meant I was upset too that Enterprise was cancelled and the poor taste belonged to the insufficiently_thoughtful_person programing directors who made that call.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I know what I meant when I typed that but it didn't come out right! 27_laughing.gif

I meant I was upset too that Enterprise was cancelled and the poor taste belonged to the insufficiently_thoughtful_person programing directors who made that call.

Oops, I'm sorry I took that the wrong way. And you're right about the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons who made that call. I mean I know it's only television, but that cancelation hit me hard.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Oops, I'm sorry I took that the wrong way. And you're right about the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons who made that call. I mean I know it's only television, but that cancelation hit me hard.

I loved the last two episodes.

The ones in the nega-universe (with the bearded Spock).

Those were so cool! cloud9.gif

I'm glad the sci fi channel picked it up. Looks like it could be good, although I haven't been the same since Enterprise was cancelled or Lexx for that matter. Hopefully this Dr. Who will be an intelligent adaptation.

Apart from the dire TV movie from 1996, I believe this is the first showing in the USA that wasn't on PBS.

Consequently, I think it will make a huge impression on the marketplace.

Well at least now I can get to watch the damn thing:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/scifi.shtml

sign-offtopic.gif I know

How are you enjoying the new Dr Who series? Is it getting good reviews in the US - or not? For me, episodes 2 and 3 were excellent but the series and Eccleston really get motoring in episode 6 onwards.

Alan (UK)

I ordered my box set from Amazon.ca (Canada), so it should hopefully arrive by Saturday. The show will start broadcasting on the Sci-Fi channel on March 17. They figure that if it does as well as Battlestar Galactica and Stargate in the ratings (2 million viewers), the second season will be purchased as well and be broadcast sometime in the Fall. Personally, I think this number is achievable.

I can't wait to watch the first episode next week. yay.gif

I can't wait to watch the first episode next week.

In just over three hours, all of America will be able to see it.

I wonder if it could become a serious ratings hit on the Sci-Fi channel, or will its lack of spread compared to the Networks hamper it ???

Obviously it won't rival American Idol, but it might give Battlestar Galactica and Smallville a run for their money.

In just over three hours, all of America will be able to see it.

So did none of you even watch the first two episodes on the Sci-Fi channel last night ??

When?

All I saw were re-runs of StarGate and BSG!!??

893censored-thumb.gif