• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spash pages as Covers (Ditko's ASM # 4 commission idea)

12 posts in this topic

For a long time I've had little or no interest in cover re-creations (pointless exercise, I always thought). The one’s I’d seen, for the most part, looked amateurish (especially where the artists tried to re-create the logo and text elements, lettering being a real skill to master that few artists can successfully re-create). Even when the original artists were re-visiting their earlier works I often found the end-results disappointing.

Then I discovered Bruce McCorkindale's work and was really impressed with his re-dos of those classic images that are indelibly etched into our minds. Early 1960s Marvel cover art, except for a small handful of known surviving examples, is unlikely to exist (I certainly don't believe in any hidden stash waiting to re-surface).

Re-created covers are no real substitute for the (original) originals, of course (and I'm not kidding myself on that score) . . . but Bruce has an uncanny chameleon-like knack for replicating the work in close proximity to the original artist's craft. Above all, I'll just enjoy the imagery (and company) of old familiar friends . . .

I approached Bruce with this idea for a cover commission late last year and he was receptive to it and put me on his waiting list of clients. Something I was particularly looking forward to. I photo-shopped the image as a guide for Bruce (and also to re-assure myself that the idea worked) copy-and-pasting the splash image and adding cover elements (logo and text). It was a snug fit.

Bruce has performed this one admirably and I'm delighted with the end-result!

bruce%203a.jpg

Published cover by Steve Ditko

bruce%203b.jpg

My photo-shopped cover mock-up

bruce%203e.jpg

Finished commission by Bruce McCorkindale

Ah I like this idea a lot!

Like yourself I see literally no point in having recreations done of covers and in fact think its a bit of a nefarious practice.

This though, great idea!

I have a panel page in mind of my own I think I'll get done.

This look great. I think this splash page would have made a better cover than the one they went with.

Is this commission done in pencil & ink? Just curious what the process is.

Very well done! :applause:

Inks working from a template

Here's another cover idea, transposing splash page for cover, that I've requested (for when Bruce can slot me in on the waiting list).

This is a mock-up I've cobbled-together in photoshop. This is likely to include a vignette of the Vulture in the finished version. As such, likely to be revised (and improved upon) at the time.

I actually think the published (Vulture) cover cannot be bettered, but Bruce has re-created that one several times already and doesn't want to do it again.

The Tinkerer splash is very striking and features a terrific shot of Spidey. Bit of a lame villain, I know . . .

bruce%201.jpg

ASM 4 would have been the first book I thought of in regards to using the splash for a cover. Another that pops immediately to mind is another ASM...... # 6. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u