• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just finished making my first comic book: ALIEN MAN #1!

37 posts in this topic

Ok, so I'm not Alex Ross by any stretch of the imagination, nor am I anywhere near Ditko or Kirby's league... Robert Crumb and most of the underground cartoonists can draw circles around me. Still, that being said, I just finished writing, illustrating and coloring my very first 32 page comic!

It's a super hero book with my own characters called Alien Man. You can read the first issue online right now:

WWW.ALIENMAN.COM

A local printer is now in the process of printing up 100 copies in time for Wizard World Los Angeles this Friday. It cost a small fortune to do this, but my hope is that someone from any of the various comic companies that attend will see some potential in my work and possibly hire me to work in some capacity in the comics industry. My expectations aren't too high, but I figure I'd share my work with the boards before I distribute any copies and let you guys either tear me a new one or tell me what you like about it.

I also plan to get 5 of them slabbed by CGC!

cover.jpg

Sign one in front of us at our booth and I will get it certified in a CGC Signature Series label for you at no charge. We are happy to support new comics and forum members, the combination is a plus! thumbsup2.gif

Good luck with the comic! smile.gif

Sign one in front of us at our booth and I will get it certified in a CGC Signature Series label for you at no charge. We are happy to support new comics and forum members, the combination is a plus! thumbsup2.gif

Good luck with the comic! smile.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif

nice book! The ads were hilarious...what's the deal with the number "23"? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The lettering was a little rough, but you may have done that for effect. Inking was bright and colorful (in some spots too much so); story kinda reminds me of those sci-fi stories common in the 1950s...

I can see the CGC label now:

Death AND Resurrection of Pandora Sky and Anseth

Congrats on your creation and good luck with your quest. LMK if you have any available for sale to help offset publishing costs. EDITED: OK, I see the order form on the last page foreheadslap.gif

the art is no worse than a lot of 1980s indies i've seen. at least this is in color.

anyway, congrats

i'm sure you're looking forward to your own little OPG entry

Aww, isn't Steve the coolest? laugh.gif

That's great! Congrats on the new comic and best of luck with your quest!

Hrmm.. should we look for it listed in next years OS?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ze-

Very, very cool book! thumbsup2.gif How do we order? And I want an AlienMan CLOCK! yay.gif

Brad, if you get to the end of the book, you'll see an order form where you can submit your PayPal payment. I'm getting some HoM clocks though insane.gif

Also, there is a link on the first page to go right to the order page!

Thanks everybody for checking out my comic! I'll respond to a bunch of posts at once! Your comments are in purple and mine are in black.

"Sign one in front of us at our booth and I will get it certified in a CGC Signature Series label for you at no charge. We are happy to support new comics and forum members, the combination is a plus! Good luck with the comic!" -S Borock

Thanks Steve! I have my CGC form already filled out as well as my renewal letter for The Collectors Society. You guys'll be the first folks I go to on Friday!

nice book! The ads were hilarious...what's the deal with the number "23"?

The lettering was a little rough, but you may have done that for effect. Inking was bright and colorful (in some spots too much so); story kinda reminds me of those sci-fi stories common in the 1950s...

I can see the CGC label now:

Death AND Resurrection of Pandora Sky and Anseth

Congrats on your creation and good luck with your quest. - sterling comics

Thanks for that sterlingcomics. The lettering is more legible in the comic, but in some places is hard to see online I'm afraid. That's what happens when you do it all by hand. I have a few Comicraft Fonts but figured I'd stick with my own printing for a more distinct style.

As for the number 23: William S. Burroughs first noticed when he was doing his clip art in the 1950's that the number 23 seems to come up more than any other number in news stories. You would always see "23 people died" or "He was 23 years old" or "At 2:30 something happened" or 23 cars get in a crash, etc. A few other authors like Robert Anton Wilson have written about it as well, and they call it "The 23 Enigma". Whether it's true or not or you only see it if you start looking for it is up to the individual. I'm just sort of purposely perpetuating all that.

Congrats on the new comic and best of luck with your quest! - ArnoldTBlumberg

Thanks Arnold! I haven't forgotten about that letter to Overstreet about those giveaway comics I have. I've just been swamped lately!

"the art is no worse than a lot of 1980s indies i've seen. at least this is in color."

Yeah, I remember getting this one indie in 1987 or so and the art looked like a 4th grader had done it on the back of his Spelling Test. Glad I'm in a league above that at least!

"Very cool! Actually, I would have even more issues CGC'd. At the very least you'll nab 29.99 per book on Ebay and completely recover publishing costs."

Most of these are going to be giveaways, so my publishing costs are probably never going to be recovered.

"I'm actually surprised Steve would allow a book like this to be slabbed." -deathlok

I actually thought about that myself deathlok, since it's a self-published book that isn't from a four color press. Nevertheless, the final copies should look pretty nice... hopefully a step up from a Kinkos special, and this way I can show my grandkids something and say "Yep! Yer Grandpa had his very own comic book graded by CGC!"

I thought it RULED!

BRAVO!

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

You spent a lot of time working on that, I'm sure.

Congrats on finishing it. It was fantastic! thumbsup2.gif

Let us know how it goes over at the convention.