• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just finished making my first comic book: ALIEN MAN #1!

37 posts in this topic

Howard.. that has to be one of the funniest, coolest, all around super neato things I have ever seen.

To be able to hold a 9.6 slab like that.. with YOUR own comic inside has got to take collecting CGC comics to a new level for you.

Did you ask for grader noters?

You think we coul press that into a 9.8 .... Ok..ok.. bad joke.. sorry.. flowerred.gif

Congrats to you.. musta been a really, really fun day.... thumbsup2.gif

Did anybody at the Con ask you what comic that was?

Ze-

If ever I had a reason to get my own comic book published *and* enter the world of slabbed comics, this is it. As soon as I have one out there, my first stop will be a CGC booth somewhere! smile.gif

Just sign a copy of the latest OS in front of Steve and Co... and tell them to create a new Supersize Slab for it.

Poof....you are now famous!

yay.gif

Ze-

Hi folks. Thanks for all the nice comments.

The convention went well for me. I gave out half the copies I had printed, slabbed 4 and had the Signature Series done as a walk through. The rest of the ones I gave to CGC are coming in the mail, which was really stupid now that I think about it. I should have done all of them as Signature Series walk throughs, but I had a lot on my mind last weekend and didn't think it through too clearly in terms of my visit to the CGC booth. In fact, I ended up paying for the SS slab that Steve said I could have for free! makepoint.gif

As for who I gave copies to: Gave some to the Marvel booth, including one to Joe Quesada himself. Grant Morrison, George Perez, Jeph Loeb and Alex Ross got them. I gave a few to Marvel, DC/Vertigo/Wildstorm, Slave Labor Graphics, Top Cow, Image, Dark Horse, and a bunch of the small indie comic companies, as well as a few at the CGC dinner.

My girlfriend Jesse went way beyond the call of duty and committed the ultimate geek sacrifice on Saturday night: We entered the Cosplay contest as Dr. Strange and Clea. It was especially humiliating for her when she ran into a friend from college who saw her there in her Clea outfit. We didn't win, but it was very surreal. Besides Halloween and the occasional prank with The Cacophony Society, I DON'T completely dork out and wear super hero suits to comic conventions. This was a first for me, and the other folks who DID wear costumes all the time were a strange bunch. There was a guy dressed like Shredder from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles with glowing eyes, another guy in an impressive Robotech battle suit, a couple dressed like Captain Marvel Jr. and Mary Marvel who made out on stage, and a bunch of Lord of The Rings and medieval armor people who took things just a tad too seriously. Some guy even interviewed me for a movie about dressing up like a dork for conventions. It's gonna be the hot new documentary next year at Sundance, just wait and see! The only reason I did it was because I thought it would be good publicity for the Alien Man comic. Gave a few to the costumed dorks and then we had to run to get over to the CGC dinner (not in costume I'm afraid, although that would have been funny!)

The 555 Steakhouse dinner was great. I feel like a member of the CGC Illuminati now. Jesse had a good time as well and it was interesting when I had to explain to her stuff like Ian Levine, Pressing, Comic Keys, the differences between 9.2's, 9.4's, and 9.6's, when the various ages of comics began and ended, and why Werewolf By Night #32 was important.

As far as the future of Alien Man, so far I've had no responses. frown.gif

Steve B. told me he knew some people at Top Cow I could send copies to, so Steve, if you read this, please PM me their addresses and I'll get them in the mail. As for the rest of the 100 I printed, some are going to friends and family and maybe some folks will buy them online.

Even if nothing else happens from this, I'm going to get a second issue out there eventually.

By the way, I'm not going to change my avatar because Doctor Strange is still the main focus of my comic collecting!

OK, I'm done now!

i started drawing a comic about a 30something lawyer who daydreamed about chopping the heads off his various bosses and impaling them in different ways after they'd order him to do some horrid task.

after about 3 pages i had done my venting and lost my inspiration.

bennis or the folks at image (in the 90s) could have stretched that baby out into 4 issues at 18 pages each.

Hey thats pretty cool. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I've heard about people making thier own comics up. But never actually seen one of them HOME-MADE comic books. Yours looks good. Keep up the good work.

I also did a couple of my own HOME-MADE comics way back in the 60's. Still have um around somewhere. Someday I'm have to dig um out.

Anybody else ever make thier own HOME-MADE comic?

oh yeah. When I was 8 or 9, I would copy (not trace) entire issues of Ghosts (not the ads) as I loved drawing skulls and such. I also created a "Dracula" comic with my own storylines that spread across 4 or 5 issues. I wish I still had them.

Anybody else ever make thier own HOME-MADE comic?

Actually yes.. around the 6th grade.

And my art teacher told me he lost it. foreheadslap.gif

( It was submited to an art show at a local art school....Heron)

I would kill to get it back.(wait.. are any lawyers listening?)

Strike that.. I would really like to get that art back .

flowerred.gif

Ze-

Today I was rummaging throught some of my really old stuff. Stuff that should of gotten thrown out long ago. Well I found a bunch of my old drawings. Among them were some of these HOME-MADE comics. Not bad for a kid.

Ya think anyone would want to see these? I could post scans on a new thread.

Let me know and I'll post some pages from the 1st issue.

I have several issues of a comic I did called Electra Man when I was little. I was building continuity and everything. I think in total I did about 5-6 of them.

Did he have a sidekick named Dynaboy? tongue.gif