• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

All you eBay experts, shipping query

16 posts in this topic

70 book lot to UK. What should I expect the cost to be if I don't want it showing up in 4-6 weeks? I know what USPS.com says for a 10 lb package, just curious if I'm missing something, cause $50 seems like much.

Yes, $50 sounds about right for that many books. I've routinely sold books to UK buyers that cost more to ship than the books themselves (yes, I'm talking about cheap books, but if they want them, they gots to pay for them to get there).

My experience is that shipping to the UK is more expensive than other places. Don't know why. I just shipped 4 cgc books to a guy. Air mail was $40. Surface slow boat was $25. Ridiculous.

I agree. Although I ship worldwide, I always close my eyes and swear when I see the person's address on the PayPal notification and they're in the UK. Like Rhino said, we have only two options when shipping from the US: airmail, which gets it there within 7 days but can get insanely expensive, or slow boat which gets it there in 4-6 WEEKS and is cheaper.

We have all kinds of rates in the US (1st class, priority, media, BPM, certified, etc.), but only two going out of the country. There's also global priority, but if you can't fit it in the box, I don't think you can ship it that way. I've only used it once, though, so I could be wrong.

Global Priority Flat Rate Envelope is only $9 to the UK and the rest of the world I think, but $7 to Canada/Mexico. I might be able to fit 70 books in the envelope, but only after a trip to the shredder =p

Shipping to the UK hasnt been bad for me. I can ship 3 CGC books for around $14.00 and they usuall get there in about a week, afew times they got there sooner.

Now shipping to Australia, thats another story foreheadslap.gif

do not put a value higher than $15.00 on each customs slip

893naughty-thumb.gif

yeah, you're right, I need to update....with the ever falling dollar it should read $17.00 or $18.00....

Declaring 15.00 or under is always respectful to the customer but sometimes impossible with expensive books. When I ship books worth over 100.00 internationally I require that they purchase insurance. With no delivery confirmation and way of tracking the package, the buyer could simply receive the book and issue a chargeback. But that way you cannot declare it as a 15.00 value and then insure it for 100.00. Although the insurance is not a slam dunk in regards to your coverage it is much better nothing. Sometimes customers don't appreciate it but hey, one chargeback was enough to make me take steps to protect myself. Also, it eliminates such a charge back risk when you explain all of this to international customers upfront. Also, if you're selling on Ebay, go into My Ebay and restrict buyers from Malaysia bidding on your items. That place is fraud Disneyland.

Sorry. I was wrong about being able to go into My Ebay and restrict Malaysian customers. I thought I had done it that way but I was wrong. I'm sure there is another way but I forget. But for all intents and purposes steer clear of Malaysian buyers. Bad juju. Bad.