• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To post or not to post on CAF

116 posts in this topic

A primary reason that I can’t land on a good response is the freshness factor (I want to make a bad pun about storing it in a Ziploc …). For those that believe this, care to expound? How does this work? I would think the exposure of having a piece online for a long time would balance against holding back art and then publishing it in an attempt to create a perceived scarcity (if that is the logic). Is this akin to the “only available for a short time ….” posts (I know these are sometimes legit and not just a ploy)?

Just look at the reaction to the Spider-Man vs Wolverine cover, it is exemplary. Popped up on HA 10 years ago, not seen since. Pops up again, and people are wildly speculating 35-65k for it. 10 years isn't a long time, but these days that can be considered fresh. That little bit of *OMG* and frenzy that creates a buyer need, amongst multiple people, and that is what these sellers/collectors wish to capture amongst the buying community.

Yes but wouldn't the wow factor still be there even if the owner displayed it for the 10 years that they owned it online? I would think that the buzz of it all of a sudden being available would be enough to draw a lot of excitement. But hey I'm no salesman or savvy art trader so I don't know. I know a piece recently came back up on my radar at auction that I missed out on 2 years ago and it was on display for the last year on CAF and it hasn't diminished my desire for the piece at all.

The best pieces stand the test of time.

My own approach is to judge the art on its own strength . . . regardless of whether or not it's been around a long time or only just surfaced.

Me too. My two most recent purchases were posted on CAF for at least 5 years. One of them was placed on my 'Ten piece I'd like to own (and can reasonably afford) list'. The other switched from NFS to FS, and I sent an email offering to purchase it at full asking price.

Buy what you buy, however you buy it. But understand your own motivations and mindset best of all. γνῶθι σεαυτόν as they say.

My own approach is to judge the art on its own strength . . . regardless of whether or not it's been around a long time or only just surfaced.

Likewise. Which has nothing to do with what's in the minds of ready and willing bidders though. Unless Terry Doyle is the floor under all OA? Seriously the seller, who's goal is predictably to get top dollar/trade, has to meet the expectations/enthusiasm of them not you or I.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν as they say.

Exactly! You hit the nail on the head. :applause:

I once had Keif Fromm (a mutually disliked name between myself and Mitch Itkowitz . . . and probably others) approach me over wanting to buy my Ditko Captain Atom 80 cover. Told him (at the time) it wasn't for sale, but his e-mail enquiry was still attached to the thumbnail on my CAF. Some years later, I was toying with the idea of releasing it, so I reminded Keif of his enquiry and told him I might now consider selling it. Response I received went into a long spiel of why I shouldn't expect too high an offer on the cover . . . at which point I told Keiff to forget it.

So, yeah, you'll also get the low-ball offers, but you quickly learn to develop a thick-skin.

Man, but ask KF for a price on something from his collection and you get a number resembling the national debt.

I know. Doc Joe had his own KF story along those lines.

Actually I have done numerous deals with Keif and always found him to be reasonable and measured in his comments and responses; one time he even refunded me some money because he thought the price I paid was a little too high.

Most of the time on deals he throws in a little surprise 'extra' piece for me from his collection just as a thank you for doing business.

He has always been a pleasure to hang out with at shows; never makes a fuss if a deal does not go his way, just shakes hands, gives a sigh and moves on.

He has spend many hours working on my behalf tracking down pieces that I was looking for, helped secure the deal and never asked for anything in return.

Admittedly there are times he is hard to track down but I understand he runs a charity for the Cat Children of Namibia and is often over there with them.

He also helped me design my comic storage area in the basement using his skills and experience from designing sound proof "Student Backpacker Dungeons" that he says Northern Europeans are fond of; he's a curious fellow indeed!

I guess we get on because I helped him one time with a scalp rash he had, probably should not be sharing it here but it was one of the most interesting I had seen.

Anyway, good fellow all around no doubt.

160358.jpg.96db86eab057e4b1e8b28ba13b6b46c4.jpg

So what is the story on the Spidey/Wolverine cover? I am familiar with the comic but haven’t followed the art. Was it hiddin for 10 years or on CAF?

Either way, I would think you could do other things to generate interest in lieu of it being hidden.

If posted the entire time you might have a list of interested parties, previous offers, and/or a list of those that have commented as a place to start.

That cover was in fact on CAF for the last 10 years. In fact, when it was listed on HA, it was still there.

Huh. Honestly, given the response to the piece here, I presumed it was hidden; I guess that ugly, missdrawn Spider-Man head prevented me from ever looking it up.

That cover was in fact on CAF for the last 10 years. In fact, when it was listed on HA, it was still there.

Huh. Honestly, given the response to the piece here, I presumed it was hidden; I guess that ugly, missdrawn Spider-Man head prevented me from ever looking it up.

:roflmao:

You may be right about that head, nostalgia (mine) trumps that. Usually I am not that weak lol. I like it. If I thought $10k would take it away...

And I never thought it would, didn't stalk it's whereabouts or know it was all along on CAF, that's a good one! Was definitely fresh to market in my eyes.

So it has been out there and is still generating buzz. I can see where the up fresh for sale might add a little juice to the sales/demand process but I agree with what is being said – great art will do most of the work.

I think the most important reason to post is that so you can be part of this shared community. Through various interaction via caf and boards, many of the people have become friends who I look forward to seeing at cons and even welcomed into my home.

Well said and I agree wholeheartedly. I have met a huge number of very nice people in my various comic related hobbies and it is all because of online sharing of some sort, including CAF. My phone contact list is loaded as a result.

:roflmao:

You may be right about that head, nostalgia (mine) trumps that. Usually I am not that weak lol. I like it. If I thought $10k would take it away...

And I never thought it would, didn't stalk it's whereabouts or know it was all along on CAF, that's a good one! Was definitely fresh to market in my eyes.

There are actually a lot of great pieces uploaded in the earlier days of CAF that don't get a lot of notice, especially if the title or artists are not listed or wrong.

Malvin

There are actually a lot of great pieces uploaded in the earlier days of CAF that don't get a lot of notice, especially if the title or artists are not listed or wrong.

Malvin

You aren't kidding about that. I remember spending hours digging through the site and coming across stellar pieces that were up on the site from years ago, that hardly had any views at all to them. Most likely also due to the site wasn't as filled as it is now with everyone.

I will third that one. I even found a great DPS that had been out there for a long time that still had a FS price listed. I asked for a lower price and the owner politely refused and said the price was from many years ago and priced extremely well where it was. I thought about it and quickly agreed ans sent payment.

Huh. Honestly, given the response to the piece here, I presumed it was hidden

The response of 2-3 exuberant posters here may not be indicative of the hobby at large. :)

Correct...it's minimum 5.

...and the self-doubt of $35k prediction creeps in :)

lol

There's a formula in there...somewhere.

Nostalgia + Disposable Income / the number of dependents X proximity of mid-life crisis onset = Hammer Price.