• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To post or not to post on CAF

116 posts in this topic

I inquire about NFS pieces all the time, but I tend to avoid throwing out a price because I worry about offering an insultingly low offer. Would it be better to throw out a price than just a general inquiry? Curious what others think.

On art marked NFS, I've had my best results with really strong offers right out of the gate.

Same here. I've found that making a polite first contact - along with a good offer - goes a long way towards getting someone to part with art marked as NFS. This has been true for me both as a buyer and a seller.

What caused me problems was seeing that strong offer in the first message. Not just "would you..." but "would you for 3x FMV?" The simple ask I can deflect in a nice way. With the strong offer upfront, you're actually asking me to pass up something that would (in some small way) change my life. Different people work at different levels, several grand for a coupla hunny piece...with great sentimental value = conundrum (for me). Who am I to stand in the way of some aggressive collector's naivety? Nonetheless I just don't like it, for me not a fun internal dialogue.

Guess I'm the outlier here, and despite that I am posting some of my more "generic stuff" art again. But there is some art I'll probably never post -it would be flypaper for the stupid money offers. And ironically it's the art a lot of you would really enjoy seeing. (And no, I'm nobody special, this is not a tease to pump an upcoming auction or "reveal" etc.) I write about some of the better stuff in CFA-APA occasionally, a place that I've never received an unsolicted offer from. I guess pick up some issues or join up if you want to see (realistically) a lot of nicer art and stories that do not make it up on CAF. Some of us happen to just be old school that way anyway...and that's actually a pretty big reason why I joined up and have been a member for so long. It's the same as this board and CAF, as far as accessing and interacting within the hobby, but different too.

You could always affix a 'offers over $1,000,000' tag to the stuff you don't want to sell. If nothing else, it might prove interesting to see if you get any enquiries? ;)

Fair point, that's the Steve Borock approach. I'll think on it.

You could always affix a 'offers over $1,000,000' tag to the stuff you don't want to sell. If nothing else, it might prove interesting to see if you get any enquiries? ;)

Fair point, that's the Steve Borock approach. I'll think on it.

My feelings exactly. Put a price on it that is so high that if you did get offered that price you may want to actually take it up. You don't have to read the emails that you get either, unless people start putting it in the comments on CAF which I don't think anyone will do. It's your work, vodou (Michael?) so do with it what you will, but the internet is any easy place ignore people if you want to by not reading the emails or comments. It would be a whole different game if you were standing there with it and people had briefcases of money ready to throw at you. Now that would be something to see.

In regards to unwanted inquiries, you can take the same general response you would an inbound telemarketing call, junk email spam, or a door-to-door salesperson who approach you... ignore them and they'll most likely go away.

Most of the time if a person gets a response, it's engagement and they know they got through the 1st barrier, then will relentlessly continue to push their agenda. If you ignore them, don't even acknowledge them, delete their messages, they'll eventually go away. Just don't bait them or feel a need to explain yourself or answer any questions you don't feel like replying to.

Most of the time if a person gets a response, it's engagement and they know they got through the 1st barrier, then will relentlessly continue to push their agenda. If you ignore them, don't even acknowledge them . . . they'll eventually go away. Just don't bait them or feel a need to explain yourself or answer any questions you don't feel like replying to.

Are we talking about Peter-G? hm

In regards to unwanted inquiries, you can take the same general response you would an inbound telemarketing call, junk email spam, or a door-to-door salesperson who approach you... ignore them and they'll most likely go away.

Most of the time if a person gets a response, it's engagement and they know they got through the 1st barrier, then will relentlessly continue to push their agenda. If you ignore them, don't even acknowledge them, delete their messages, they'll eventually go away. Just don't bait them or feel a need to explain yourself or answer any questions you don't feel like replying to.

The other side of the coin would be to actually communicate with the person, even if it is nothing more than a definitive "no thanks". That way they have an answer and can move on (assuming they can take the hint). By ignoring people, I find that might make some keep pushing and contacting, which can get frustrating for the one with the wanted item. They bring it on themselves as a 20 second email can cut all that out.

On another note, I have to shake my head and laugh at some of these first world problems, like dealing with the horror of people wanting to throw money at you, far more than the worth of the item. If that is a problem, you are one of the lucky ones in life.

If nothing else, this thread has made me decide to open up my little CAF again.

I have a few things to scan from the last year or so as well and looking forward to doing that again.

That is great news. I hope to see more of this within the hobby.

I'm working on it, Bill. I used to have a hi-rez scan but somehow it got deleted from my computer.

Michael, that is great to hear that you're working on it- that has to be one of the most stunning covers of that era (imo). I was never into Dazzler but that hasnt stopped me from being blown away by that image.

I enjoy posting my art on CAF, I haven't received any unsolicited offers for my NFS art, maybe that's cause what I have. Either way I am proud of it. I feel posting lets others know where something is, in case there is a grail someone is looking for, whether it's for sale or not. I have questioned other CAF'ers as to the availablity of pieces listed NFS but in a professional and courteous fashion and I think that's all anyone could ask. Just my 2c

I post most of my art on CAF as I like folks to see it -- I'm always amazed when one of my One Minute Later commissions gets some nice comments -- as for offers, let me give a shout out to Glen Brunswick - I once left a very nice comment on a Kirby cover and later when he went to sell it, he contacted me -- it is my favorite cover of all-time and I plan to own it forever. I am eternally in Glen's debt.