• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's your modus operandi?

42 posts in this topic

Just back into the hobby (been back for several months now) and I basically am going after TWD & Old Man Logan (I read the storyline and for me there was nothing like it, it was the be-all end-all story as it is basically what my friends & I discussed as kids- who would kill who if all the bad guys joined up; &/or which good guys would be awesome bad guys, etc).

If any of you can suggest storylines that fit this then please I am all ears (or eyes considering I'll have to read it). :)

I am curious about your modus operandi as a collector/reader.

Do you buy new comics on a weekly basis?

Do you buy only back issues?

Do you buy to read or only to collect?

Personally, I have been buying new comics on a weekly basis but I recently stopped (during Secret Wars, this was way too much). I am now buying some back issues, mostly to read them and enjoy them. I buy cheap back issues. For example, I just got a bunch of Classic X-Men and some Alpha Flight. I will then bag and board them.

I used to buy on a weekly basis, but not anymore.

I do buy only back issues

I buy to read and or collect.

I collect Spidey, the Bat and just about all superhero comics.

I have several completed runs, but my all time goal of finishing my AF 15 ASM 1-700 is complete.

Other than working on owning every big key from the silver age to current is coming along,and nearly complete.

I have started to collect horror genre magazines, mainly Creepy and Vampirella.

Guess once I fill in my horror runs, it will be onto Golden age comics

I only purchase DC back issues. I stopped my pull list a long time ago and moved to TPB and then N52 happened and I saved a ton of money.

I have been trying to revamp my collection for several years to ONLY Batman but I don't want to let go of my other comics. I love variety. One day I tell myself that I will whittle my collection down to 6 boxes. This struggle has been going on for several years now.

I pretty much do all this. I collect several monthly titles and go to the LCS 2-3 times a month. I buy back issues. I buy to read and collect. I also buy TPB's (to read) and hardcovers (to collect on my shelf).

I buy keys both graded (mainly) and raw (if nice one presents itself). I like everything from SA to modern age. I stash everything away and rarely, if ever, sell.

I really appreciate the story's, art, collect-ability, value, history, you name it.

I guess I'm just a hoarder then?

Personally, I have been buying new comics on a weekly basis but I recently stopped (during Secret Wars, this was way too much). I am now buying some back issues, mostly to read them and enjoy them. I buy cheap back issues. For example, I just got a bunch of Classic X-Men and some Alpha Flight. I will then bag and board them.

I have several completed runs, but my all time goal of finishing my AF 15 ASM 1-700 is complete.

Other than working on owning every big key from the silver age to current is coming along,and nearly complete.

That should keep you going for a few months :baiting:

:roflmao: Brother I'm finding high grade Creepy and Vampirella's harder to come by than any superhero stuff.

Still have a (very) few items on pull list at the store. Mostly trades, so I don't make a weekly visit like I used to. More a monthly or bi-monthly visit.

I buy back issues too, but either online or shows.

I don't buy any new stuff anymore. The quality of the writing is just poor. Not spending $4 for a five-minute read.

I have most of the SA, BA and CA that I want so just a few holes left to fill. This year probably embarking on ECs. And on my existing collection I do want to upgrade some copies.

:roflmao: Brother I'm finding high grade Creepy and Vampirella's harder to come by than any superhero stuff.

Anything nobody wants is pretty tough to find.

Your quick wit is why I love you so much. :foryou:

Your quick wit is why I love you so much. :foryou:

Believe me, I've got lots of carp on my want list that seems pretty impossible. Try finding high grade copies of Flying Nurses, for example.

Recently re-subscribed to Marvel Unlimited and enjoyed reading through poor Dr. Strange's transitional period from Strange Tales to high-numbered Doctor Strange to Marvel Feature to the Defenders (with Marvel Premiere and low-numbered Doctor Strange somewhere along the way).

Will buy digital versions of DC TPBs as a sick day read.

Selling (or slabbing) my floppies.

It was fun ordering new comics by mail from M&M years ago. Great service. But I'm not in a cash or space position to start doing that again.

I pick for complete-ish runs 5-10 issues in the quarter bin for moderns if I can find them. These I read.

I occasionally search dollar bins for things to flip, and go try for yard sales/craigslist for flipping as well.

A couple times a year I'll go the Barnes and Noble or the library to read some trades (for free).

Other than that, I'm trying to complete a 9.8 set of Darkhawks.

I'm strongly considering asking for Marvel Unlimited for my b-day this year. But I'm not sure its worth it since I don't have an ipad, or a computer at home, it would just be my phone....

I'm strongly considering asking for Marvel Unlimited for my b-day this year. But I'm not sure its worth it since I don't have an ipad, or a computer at home, it would just be my phone....

The experience is best on a tablet, okay on a computer, not great on a phone, even a big ol' Samsung Galaxy pocket filler phone.