• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Art Con April 3 Secaucus, NJ

120 posts in this topic

I had cash at the ready, and was even ready to go to the mat if I saw something special, but everything was AT LEAST double FMV. I don't mind stretching 20, 30, 40% over FMV for a piece (especially paying direct to an artist or rep), but overpaying like this would have been humiliating.

Can you give any concrete examples?

I think this is a legit question. It's not that I don't agree with the general sentiment that asking prices at this show can be overinflated, and I certainly didn't see any bargains to be had (though, to be fair, I sold a page to a friend at the show for 10-15% below FMV - because I'm a nice guy). I'm not saying that there weren't pieces in the room that were double FMV or more, but to say that "everything was AT LEAST double FMV" is just flat-out wrong, and most likely indicates either extrapolation of sticker shock on a few pieces to the broader whole, or just being out of touch with where market levels are right now.

I'm sure that people can point to some examples of pieces that were egregiously overpriced, but most of what I saw could reasonably described as within 20-25% of FMV. 2c

Honestly, today I can't think of any concrete examples. Yesterday was a blur of pieces and pricing. I am not talking about $65K headline pieces. I mean $3500 pieces that should be $1600, $1300 pieces that should be $500, and $525 pieces that should be $200. And these were not exceptions. This was the norm.

I realize that serious inquiries can sometimes lead to negotiations, but when the starting point is so far ahead from where your comps have sold for, it gets exhausting.

(Maybe I AM being priced out of the hobby. But that is out of the scope of this thread. I will say I have made more purchases in the last 18 months than I ever have. Maybe I am just being priced out of the dealer's market. Maybe that side needs a correction. Or maybe this is just a generation gap... the Bronze and older markets have long-since petrified, there are no deals to be made, and those collectors have gotten used to this phenomenon.)

Additionally, I wouldn't want to call out particular dealers on particular pieces for three reasons -- 1. This was a general criticism of the state of the dealer's market. 2. I don't want to burn any bridges as everyone I talked to in the room was very nice, friendly, and had a tremendous passion for the hobby... no matter their price points. 3. Selfishly, I don't want to sour any possible negotiations in the future.

I would rather compliment the dealers whose pricing was more reasonable. Reward the positive.

I am very sensitive to criticizing the show's organizers. I agree with the show as a concept and think it is a great idea. Who doesn't want to look at art all day without crowds? That is why I didn't want to criticize without at least offering some possible solutions to the problem I saw.

The show as it stands now is a room full of dealers with inflated pricing. So I think diversifying with reps, artists, and maybe a "collector's circle" area (limit one portfolio per collector) might help. (Heck, even charge a small $20-50 fee and bar access to dealers.)

If the show organizers want to keep it as is, they need to lean on their exhibitors to run sales. I feel like anyone going to this show is not a rube walking in off the street. This is a one day event. So it doesn't make sense for the dealers to do what they do the other 364 days a year. C'mon guys, generate some excitement! Blow out some old stock! People will travel in for this show if they smell blood in the water.

However, dealers may not be willing to do so for fear of other dealers poaching their stock.

Anyway, apologies for all of my sour grapes!

One other idea... Maybe the collectors circle has a mid-day auction?

I also saw The Kirby Museum representative scanning art. This was interesting. Maybe there is a way to foster more of this kind of scholarship.

Or IDW, etc. could help promote the show as a place to scan for artists' editions or discuss editorial on those volumes.

Panels, interviews, restoration demos, local framing exhibitors, and giclee and print exhibitors all might be ways to diversify the event.

Yep, thanks- any comments about that price? A little on the high side is it not?

To me, it sure seems high. I think #116 is a nicer cover and it sold for 65k at heritage. Granted, 5 years ago, but that's 1/4 the price

If anyone is interested in the Byrne Legends #3 cover featuring the 1st modern era suicide squad, I believe fellow CGC boardie "DJROME" still has it available.

He is a super nice guy and is easy to deal with. You should be able to reach him here or on CAF.

Cheers!

N.

Yep, thanks- any comments about that price? A little on the high side is it not?

Yeah, I think that's the general consensus - on the high side for sure. As far as Byrne X-Men covers go, my feeling is that there's a huge bid-ask offer spread, and not many change hands as a result. Someone may want $250K for a cover, but it's not clear that there would even be a buyer at, say, $175K. I think pretty much every Byrne cover from #108 to #141 is going to have a $150K price tag attached to it at a minimum these days, but there are only so many people who would be willing to pay that much, especially if it's not one of the better examples (not that there are any bad ones, I'm just talking relative to the others).

What are your expectations on the X95 cover result?

My expectation is $125-$150K. I wouldn't be surprised if it goes a bit higher, but I would be surprised if it goes for less than $100K or more than $200K.

To me, it sure seems high. I think #116 is a nicer cover and it sold for 65k at heritage. Granted, 5 years ago, but that's 1/4 the price

I personally think the #127 is a nicer cover and a bit underrated overall. For one thing, most people don't even realize that Cyclops, Wolverine and Nightcrawler are all on it. I also think that the art got progressively tighter as the Byrne/Austin collaboration went on, and so I tend to like the art from the middle-to-end of the run better than the earlier issues, personally. But, it's subjective, and your mileage may vary!

Gene, Daren, nice pic of you guys Dan Gallo posted.

Thanks. (thumbs u

The reason why my hair is so messed up in that pic is from walking through the gale force winds outside yesterday. Three of us took my car to the show and I thought my car doors had broken when we opened them, as two of them were slammed by winds at ludicrous force against the hinges. I think I heard at the show that someone's rental car door DID break from the wind slamming it outward against the wrong direction. It was :screwy: ! I wonder if the weather kept some people away; it was a good day to stay indoors at home, frankly.

That said, I enjoyed the show - tons of great art and a decent turnout of collectors, including some Boardies who I had never met in person before (including Jaybuck43, Buzzetta and dspair - nice to meet all of you!) Plus, there were friends at the show from the U.K., up and down the East Coast, and even one from Asia as well, and it was great to see all of them. Always nice to spend a day with others who share your passion for OA all in one room without the distraction of everything else that goes with modern conventions these days.

I sold one page and got some leads that could lead to a couple of more sales/trades in the future, so it was worth it for me to set up. I didn't buy anything, though I did get some leads that could possibly turn into a future acquisition or two.

It did, I even PM'ed with some boardies who I planned on meeting, but to add with the weather, I also had some roads around me closed do to fallen trees, and no power in my house, so I just took it as a sign not to go. Hoping for September though.

Just wanted to say thanks to Nelson for the character reference and to Jaybuck for defending my pricing. It was great meeting you!

These art cons are a lot of fun for me. It's a chance to hang out in a room, talking comic art with dozens of guys I rarely get to see. Comic art collecting is mostly a solitary activity, and this is the only show that is devoted to bringing oa collectors together. That's the main reason I get a table.

Yes, I'm trying to sell some comic art there. But none of the exhibiting collectors are counting on the show for income. If I see high pricing at a collector's table it's because either the market for the piece has visibly risen or the collector paid a heavy price to get the art in the first place. I can certainly understand why more experienced collectors are put off by the current market environment, but those of us still active are (mostly) earnest collectors just trying to do right. By and large, we're working on much thinner margins than the guys who do this for a living and I'm quite certain that a bargain (or two) was to be had at the show.

And thanks to everyone who inquired about the Legends #3 cover. I thought it might get some attention at the show and I wasn't disappointed. I'm taking a couple of days to decide how to sell it and will either post a listing in the marketplace or send it to auction shortly.

-Dan

Yeah, I think that's the general consensus - on the high side for sure. As far as Byrne X-Men covers go, my feeling is that there's a huge bid-ask offer spread, and not many change hands as a result. Someone may want $250K for a cover, but it's not clear that there would even be a buyer at, say, $175K. I think pretty much every Byrne cover from #108 to #141 is going to have a $150K price tag attached to it at a minimum these days, but there are only so many people who would be willing to pay that much, especially if it's not one of the better examples (not that there are any bad ones, I'm just talking relative to the others).

My expectation is $125-$150K. I wouldn't be surprised if it goes a bit higher, but I would be surprised if it goes for less than $100K or more than $200K.

I personally think the #127 is a nicer cover and a bit underrated overall. For one thing, most people don't even realize that Cyclops, Wolverine and Nightcrawler are all on it. I also think that the art got progressively tighter as the Byrne/Austin collaboration went on, and so I tend to like the art from the middle-to-end of the run better than the earlier issues, personally. But, it's subjective, and your mileage may vary!

Its not my money but if it were I'd pay so much more for 95 than for #127

There's no Wolverine on the 95 except the title ensemble head shot!!

One collector I know spoke of a "Wolverine tax" (which accounts for the premium on covers which feature him). hm

Another put it more succinctly: "No Wolverine = no interest."

Fair point but there's barely any wolverine on 127 either.