• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When Trimpe worked all 12 cylinders

20 posts in this topic

I have nothing to do with this auction, but I just think the art is beautiful:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SKYWARRIORS-pages-4-5-SAVAGE-TALES-1-1985-COMIC-ORIGINAL-ART-HERB-TRIMPE-/161966002265?hash=item25b5ed1059:g:8Q4AAOSwGotWr~PV

I've never seen this before -- it's so elegant, and the linework is so light. I associate Trimpe with a different kind of boldness. The landscapes here feel like they have a European influence, like he was reading Corto Maltese (I know zero about European art, so maybe there's a more direct comparison). Very cool. I'll have to track down a copy of Savage Tales.

Glen Gold

Herb did some beautiful work.

I liked his early work on the Incredible Hulk where he inked his own pencils.

There's one ish in particular in which he seemed to really spend some time on - #121 maybe (?) the one with the Glob, or somewhere right around that issue.

I'll have to check.

Yes, Herb was extremely proud of the work he did on Savage Tales which is why he kept them for his own collection until he passed away. Jeff has been selling the pages now on behalf of Patricia, but I've been shocked how little they've gone for. Hopefully, people will now take notice and they'll finally garner a little more auction action!

Additionally, Herb did some fantastic work on G.I. Joe Special Missions around the same time. When I was younger, I didn't appreciate all the detail that Herb put into those issues. Now, when I see the originals, I realize that Herb was just getting better and better!

I keep missing out on those Joe pages. Some of those Special Missions stories are actually some of my favorite Joe tales. (Special shout out to Special Missions #2 with the Trimpe interiors and that insane Zeck cover)

G.I._Joe_Special_Missions_Vol_1_2.jpg

I keep missing out on those Joe pages. Some of those Special Missions stories are actually some of my favorite Joe tales. (Special shout out to Special Missions #2 with the Trimpe interiors and that insane Zeck cover)

Thanks - my favorite story as well (although #1 is pretty close contender). Was lucky enough to buy the cover directly from Mike Zeck when it first came out and years later, Herb was kind enough to sell me the complete interior when he was finally willing to let some of his Special Missions art go. Was a happy day when Herb and Patricia came over to the house for the 2010 Cherry Blossom Spectacular and brought this book with him. The irony of this story reminded me a bit of the original G.I. Joe #2 which I also loved.

Thanks - my favorite story as well (although #1 is pretty close contender). Was lucky enough to buy the cover directly from Mike Zeck when it first came out and years later, Herb was kind enough to sell me the complete interior when he was finally willing to let some of his Special Missions art go. Was a happy day when Herb and Patricia came over to the house for the 2010 Cherry Blossom Spectacular and brought this book with him. The irony of this story reminded me a bit of the original G.I. Joe #2 which I also loved.

It was one of my favorite issues when I was a kid. When I win the lottery, I will be in touch with an offer. lol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SKYWARRIORS-pages-4-5-SAVAGE-TALES-1-1985-COMIC-ORIGINAL-ART-HERB-TRIMPE-/161966002265?hash=item25b5ed1059:g:8Q4AAOSwGotWr~PV

I've never seen this before -- it's so elegant, and the linework is so light. I associate Trimpe with a different kind of boldness. The landscapes here feel like they have a European influence, like he was reading Corto Maltese (I know zero about European art, so maybe there's a more direct comparison). Very cool. I'll have to track down a copy of Savage Tales.

Glen Gold

Looks like I won these :banana:

Glen Gold

Congrats!

Glen Gold

Congrats! I get a little Gulacy vibe from these. Always considered Trimpe to be the journeyman's journeyman. These pages are making me rethink that.

Glen Gold

Congrats. I placed a bid on one - sounds like you won multiples. Great addition to your already great collection!

Glen Gold

Congrats. I placed a bid on one - sounds like you won multiples. Great addition to your already great collection!

I just got pages 4 & 5. Page 4 was the one I really wanted. I want to make a giant Lichtenstein-type print out of panel 3.