• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The next dollar bin hero

207 posts in this topic

What If #1

Since Marvel basically is only doing What If stories nowadays, this is really the start of the new Marvel age!

Agree that the $1 to $700 thing isn't happening. But for a real $1 book I think could be something? How about Fantastic Four #50 (2002). 1st appearance of Valeria. She's too interesting of a character for Marvel not to do something with her soon. Plus as a strong female character she fits the mold. DON'T go grab 100 of these. But if you see one in your LCS on your next trip? Worth $1 I think.

I think if we would apply the New Mutants 98/ Batman Adventures 12 logic (even though it really doesnt mean anything) the character which would be the next big hit would probably already have an existing following and a couple of semi key/not too common books.. In that sense Darkstar's example of Miles Morales may be a good one, I'd also like to think that Static may be it.. But who knows, we're all guessing so far

A few books that are kind of inexpensive and can be picked up for a buck or less are Armageddon 2001 #1 - 1st Monarch, 52 Week Seven and Eleven (1st Katherine Kane and 1st Katherine Kane as Bat-Woman).

Crisis on Infinite Earth #5/#6 - 1st Anti-Monitor but a little more expensive than the above.

Although not a first appearance, World's Finest #257, #264, and #267 - 2nd (small cameo), 3rd, 4th appearance of Black Adam, after Shazam #28, can be picked up cheap.

There is also Superman Adventures #1 and Detective Comics #735 (1st App. Mercy Graves, 1st App. Mercy Graves in DCU). These are getting priced higher due to the movie so it might come down later but I still see DC #735 in $1 bins.

These are good. Also Detective Comics #647 Stephanie Brown books, although not too common in dollar bins even though I did pick a few last week at a yard sale

Sparkplug #1, a title that is so obscure that it is not even listed in the Overstreet guide:

http://www.comics.org/issue/52677/cover/4/

Sure to go up when Heroic Publications sues Marvel as soon as they realize that Lincoln Campbell (aka Sparkplug) on the Agents of Shield TV show is really nothing more than the male version of their original Sparkplug. hmlol

Aw shucks, might not qualify since this book is probably only sitting in the 25c quarter box as opposed to the dollar bin box. ;)

A few books that are kind of inexpensive and can be picked up for a buck or less are Armageddon 2001 #1 - 1st Monarch, 52 Week Seven and Eleven (1st Katherine Kane and 1st Katherine Kane as Bat-Woman).

Crisis on Infinite Earth #5/#6 - 1st Anti-Monitor but a little more expensive than the above.

Although not a first appearance, World's Finest #257, #264, and #267 - 2nd (small cameo), 3rd, 4th appearance of Black Adam, after Shazam #28, can be picked up cheap.

I never understood why those World's Finest never picked up while other books have.

$700 is a bit of a stretch

How about something more realistic, like $250-300 in 9.8?

Marvel Tales 100

Mind you, I have no idea if it is hard in 9.8 and I don't have the census info, I suppose few have been submitted, so it is deceptive.

Marvel Tales 100

Mind you, I have no idea if it is hard in 9.8 and I don't have the census info, I suppose few have been submitted, so it is deceptive.

The Spider Man reprint title? What happened in that?

The next $1 bin hero will probably be some 70's, 80's or 90's Marvel book with a first appearance of some (at the time) 2nd or 3rd rate character that 99% of us overlooked back when it was new and we could have bought it for cover price. My money is on some random issue of Power Pack, Alpha Flight, X-Terminators, Wolverine, Cable, X-Factor, X-Force, New Mutants, X-Men, Avengers, Hulk or Spider-Man.

With all of the potential for new X-Men based movies I would say the odds are high that it will be someone from that line. If remember correctly X-Men was the most popular comic book in the world at one point and the number of spin-off titles they created in the 80's was crazy. The movie studios have so much to choose from within that franchise when creating a movie it really is unreal.

DC might be able to sneak in another sleeper like Harley Quinn, but I'm keeping my eyes on what's happening in the Fox/Sony and Marvel/Disney camps.

Marvel Tales 100

The Spider Man reprint title? What happened in that? [/quot

First solo Hawkeye story. I have always been able to sell nice copies. Spotlight 28 is big bucks in 9.8, but I guess that is an earlier app... Mt 100 is like Hawkeyes 6 millionth app