• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Classic D.C. WASHTONE Thread
4 4

169 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

top-ten.

mis55.jpg~original.jpeg

Adam Strange endorses this post.

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 4:49 PM, Dr. Love said:

quasi-wash

SecretHearts59fc100_zpsuzt3ulrt.jpg

I've said it before on another Silver Age thread and I'll say it again here, I really need to hang out more in the Silver Thread! This Secret Hearts #59 is a book I have never seen before, and it is such a pleasant surprise! Amazing cover - and thread!

5 minutes ago, buttock said:

The HOM looks like charcoal, which gives a similar appearance.  The WWT is wash, at least the guy in the background.  

I figured the HOM and the SD were not, but I've seen a few examples that I wouldn't have considered washtone or greytone so I wasn't sure.  How about these two?  I think the MIS could be partial...and I think someone posted the SA as a washtone, but I'm not sure now...

24657948147_3dff281410_c.jpg

45066231365_92c8050187_c.jpg

6 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I figured the HOM and the SD were not, but I've seen a few examples that I wouldn't have considered washtone or greytone so I wasn't sure.  How about these two?  I think the MIS could be partial...and I think someone posted the SA as a washtone, but I'm not sure now...

24657948147_3dff281410_c.jpg

45066231365_92c8050187_c.jpg

Both are definitely washtones. And wonderful colors on the strange adventures!

4 minutes ago, Inaflash said:

Although the HOM has a similar look and many Sea Devils are washtones, I don’t think any of these three are. I’m disputing Dan but someone has to do it. 

Well, now I guess we need "other" experts to weigh in on this...:whatthe:  what's your opinion on the G.I.Combat?

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

10 hours ago, Inaflash said:

Although the HOM has a similar look and many Sea Devils are washtones, I don’t think any of these three are. I’m disputing Dan but someone has to do it. 

Ken, grab a copy of the WWT.  I think you'll change your mind.  

18 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Are these books considered washtone covers?

21991268812_5b57ffbd98_c.jpg

22227264585_ff2dc08e91_c.jpg

31187137417_31869fd3b0_c.jpg

The House of Mystery is not a washtone in my opinion. It has some inking and coloring effects that make it appear so.

The Sea Devils has some effects that make it appear washtone-like. The greys in her wetsuit in particular. I think it slides by as a "washtone light." 

I've always considered the Weird War to be a washtone for the giant in the background. That's washtone every day of the week.