• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comiclink Winter Auction

146 posts in this topic

Surprised the Thor 1, DAUTERMAN, pages didn't go for more noting what they were and how that might play out in the future of the character.

I'm surprised they went for so much considering they are a digital print

Bingo....it's just a print. The only ink on it was put there by Epson.

It's not marked OA, or as the artwork used for the book, because it's not and it was produced after the fact to be sold as a representation of the artwork. It says 1/1 artist's proof but that's really not the same as the real thing to almost all collectors.

The price made sense once t3quila pointed out it was a digital print. With art going digital I wonder if that is the wave of the future (1 of 1 prints of important/historic pages)? Also, I doubt they printed anything for the production. It was more than likely all digital from files.

Makes me wonder how easy it might be to create forgeries of "1/1 prints of important/historic pages" in the future.

Wow... I probably way overpaid for the Cerebus page from Jaka's Story, but it's the first page I've ever seen for sale from my favorite part of my favorite comic. Debt notwithstanding, I couldn't be happier!

(thumbs u

Cerebus is awesome

Surprised the Thor 1, DAUTERMAN, pages didn't go for more noting what they were and how that might play out in the future of the character.

How much did they go for?

The Wagner Trinity Cover was right at market. Really nice example of his work.

It's such a well-known image that I'm surprised it went so low. My friend bought the cover at a NJ show a while back and I thought he got a steal (I would have bought it that day if he hadn't) - I don't remember exactly what he paid for it, but he won't have made much on it, if at all. Surprising to me.

yes..... asm 583 and asm 600 were John's last penciled and inked ASM covers.... I think I sold this cover art for 5k back in 2009....whats cool about that cover and story is..... it has the Barrack Obama election / spider-man story in the back of the book and it was a very sought after comic at the time.

I threw out some bids but came away empty. Nothing really caught my attention where I would feel a need to bid aggressively.

Some surprises for me .......

Oliffe SpiderGirl cover at $1800+ Lots of last second bids primarily because Spidey was also on the cover.

My perception is AH! prices are cooling off. I thought the Catwoman cover would readily break $10K considering some have sold for $15K privately. Clayface as Batman doesn't make a difference as it's all about AH!'s ability to draw women.

I would not be surprised if both Golden covers (ComicLink and Heritage) ended up with a specific dealer. His output during his prime period is minimal.

Buscema/Adams Tarzan cover went cheap. It shows that collectorswill pay a premium for heroes wearing spandex. Less so for loin cloth.

I think with both auction houses ending their sales a week apart, it took some steam out of the budgets of the average collector.

Cheers!

N.

At the end of the day, I think the deal breaker for most collectors was that it was and is simply a printout that's claimed to be 1 of 1 but for an "Original Art" collector has nothing original about it.

I know I'd have loved it if it were original pencils and ink, or even blueline pencils with original inks over it and I think the price would have been easily 10x to maybe 20x more, but because Dauterman renders his illustrations digitally and no original art exists, there's a limited marketplace for that type of work.

I'm actually surprised in part that those command anything at or above $300 simply because of the format of what they are.

Bingo....it's just a print. The only ink on it was put there by Epson.

It's not marked OA, or as the artwork used for the book, because it's not and it was produced after the fact to be sold as a representation of the artwork. It says 1/1 artist's proof but that's really not the same as the real thing to almost all collectors.

...and if a person loved the piece, the could probably just "right click" the image and print out their own 11 x 17 of that piece, frame it up and it's virtually the same, except the cost is only pennies, ink and paper.

This was a great auction for me, actually the best Clink auction from the perspective of FMV to realized sales, and I picked up a few cool pieces well below my max bid.

Much happier with the clink results over my Heritage results!

Thanks to everyone who bid on my consignment pieces, and thanks to those who didn't bid up my wins. After a long dry spell full of resounding indifference to this hobby, I can now say that I've taken a step towards being back in the hunt!

I was again a bridesmaid on the Tales of Suspense #52 1st Appearance of Black Widow.

This PG 12 went for about $5k in the Feb 2016 auction

http://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids.asp%3Fpg%3D3%26x%3D0%26y%3D0&id=1103807

In the December 2015 auction, this PG 4 went for about $15k

http://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids.asp%3Fpg%3D6&id=1080610

The main problem I had in not bidding enough to win was that Page 4 was at least 3x better aesthetically than Page 12, which was nearly the perfect page (thus the high price tag). I also think since I saw pg 4 first then now pg 12 comes up for sale, when comparing, it became an issue of bidding on pg 12 for the sake of just wanting something, where with pg 4, bidding was born out of really wanting it (but obviously not enough to go over the final price). I'd speculate pg 12 would have gone higher and is probably the same buyer of pg 4, and it would have taken more than $5k to win it had I dug deeper into my pockets in that pursuit 'tho.

I hope that book is being broken up and single pages are being leaked out slowly for consignment sale on auction.

While contemplating whether or not to bid $900 on the Eastman/Laird TMNT #7 page after it sat at $850 for days, it shot up to over $2k in the last few seconds. lol

Another one I liked was the Broderick Spidey What If page, which ended at a decent $310. Caught that one too late. Many of the others were out of my league. I was very much :popcorn: but didn't place any bids. Some amazing art all around, congrats to all winners/sellers.

I was again a bridesmaid on the Tales of Suspense #52 1st Appearance of Black Widow.

This PG 12 went for about $5k in the Feb 2016 auction

http://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids.asp%3Fpg%3D3%26x%3D0%26y%3D0&id=1103807

In the December 2015 auction, this PG 4 went for about $15k

http://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids.asp%3Fpg%3D6&id=1080610

The main problem I had in not bidding enough to win was that Page 4 was at least 3x better aesthetically than Page 12, which was nearly the perfect page (thus the high price tag). I also think since I saw pg 4 first then now pg 12 comes up for sale, when comparing, it became an issue of bidding on pg 12 for the sake of just wanting something, where with pg 4, bidding was born out of really wanting it (but obviously not enough to go over the final price). I'd speculate pg 12 would have gone higher and is probably the same buyer of pg 4, and it would have taken more than $5k to win it had I dug deeper into my pockets in that pursuit 'tho.

I hope that book is being broken up and single pages are being leaked out slowly for consignment sale on auction.

I owned the entire TOS 52 Story and I split it up 10-15 years ago.