• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comiclink Winter Auction

146 posts in this topic

Should be interesting to see what solutions become available to collectors of modern digital pages in the future.

The tacit assumption being that there are future collectors of modern digital pages. Hardly a given.

Probably poor analogies, but looking to prior large technological production shifts and how collectors embraced (or didn't) the new technology vs. the old already collectible technology:

1. Typewriters vs. word processors. The former never stopped being collectible, but I think probably less so as time goes by (caveat: I am no expert in that hobby!). The latter: uncollectible by the same crowd and just about everyone except the "early" pc/Apple crowd. Very limited appeal. And not (to my knowledge) for the 'word processing' functionality!

2. Horses vs. combustion engines. Well-bred horses, always prized (and kinda-sorta collectible). Cars/motorcycle, etc also collectible but by different folks for very different reasons.

3. Telephones vs. mobile phones. Old phones, and older telegraph machines definitely have their base, always have and appear to going forward. Probably shrinking over time like the typewriter crowd though...most 'nice' common clean pieces will eventually end up being decor accessories for interior designers (methinks!) Anybody...is there a mobile phone collecting base? Not that I'm aware of, and I'm certain -if there is- not the same collectors!

Those are all "con" cases; tried hard to come up with a "pro" case. Couldn't*. Maybe somebody else can? And maybe...it's moot anyway. It may be similar to the early computer crowd, there will be new collectors for the new tech, they will define the space and prices...bearing little relationship, if any, to the old-tech typewriter hobby?

*Well we could look to "fine" digital and video art, even performance art (as vastly alternative art mediums vs. traditional)...but I think that's a big ol' OT discussion, which almost nobody here would care to read much more engage in :)

Well, how about pulps and comic books? A little off point in some ways but also very on point in other ways.

Wanted to make a run at that one...

At that number you're better off making a run away from that one.

There are so many more memorable pages from those early story parts that would be worth throwing serious coin at.

I haven't seen anything better for sale... :(

In due time, everything shows up eventurally. This one's already kicked out of the back of the endzone.

Yeah. I happily surprised it didn't go up anymore and hoping that it shakes some pieces loose.

Should be interesting to see what solutions become available to collectors of modern digital pages in the future.

The tacit assumption being that there are future collectors of modern digital pages. Hardly a given.

Probably poor analogies, but looking to prior large technological production shifts and how collectors embraced (or didn't) the new technology vs. the old already collectible technology:

1. Typewriters vs. word processors. The former never stopped being collectible, but I think probably less so as time goes by (caveat: I am no expert in that hobby!). The latter: uncollectible by the same crowd and just about everyone except the "early" pc/Apple crowd. Very limited appeal. And not (to my knowledge) for the 'word processing' functionality!

2. Horses vs. combustion engines. Well-bred horses, always prized (and kinda-sorta collectible). Cars/motorcycle, etc also collectible but by different folks for very different reasons.

3. Telephones vs. mobile phones. Old phones, and older telegraph machines definitely have their base, always have and appear to going forward. Probably shrinking over time like the typewriter crowd though...most 'nice' common clean pieces will eventually end up being decor accessories for interior designers (methinks!) Anybody...is there a mobile phone collecting base? Not that I'm aware of, and I'm certain -if there is- not the same collectors!

Those are all "con" cases; tried hard to come up with a "pro" case. Couldn't*. Maybe somebody else can? And maybe...it's moot anyway. It may be similar to the early computer crowd, there will be new collectors for the new tech, they will define the space and prices...bearing little relationship, if any, to the old-tech typewriter hobby?

*Well we could look to "fine" digital and video art, even performance art (as vastly alternative art mediums vs. traditional)...but I think that's a big ol' OT discussion, which almost nobody here would care to read much more engage in :)

Well, how about pulps and comic books? A little off point in some ways but also very on point in other ways.

How so? Do you mean people collecting digital comics. Seems the same as digital books to me. Collectors for old, physical stuff. No collectors of, no after-market for the digital media.

How off base am I, bet you meant something totally different!

Buscema Silver Surfer #11 half splash = 11K
good price, bad price ...?

Good price, Bad Price...there never is one without the other. For two people are always involved.

Thus endeth the lesson...

Good price, Bad Price...there never is one without the other. For two people are always involved.

That assumes both sides have perfect (or the same) information.

both buyer and seller could think they got a good price, but have different expectations or different understanding of the market.

Malvin

Yoram,

I can't see it, but that may because I'm in my phone in an airplane. Assuming that others can't see it, here are some instructions.

Posting images is actually very easy. There are two approaches depending on your desires.

Best,

Alex

-------

There are two ways to post an image:

1) Load the graphic in the post or

2) Link to an image

-------------------------

To load the image in the post::

1) Click on "Switch to Full Reply Screen"

2) Enter the text of the post

3) Click on the "File Manager" button

4) A dialog box opens

5) Enter the caption of the image

6) Click "Choose File" to pick the image that you want to show

7) Click "Done adding files"

--------------------------

To link to the CAF or other image source

If you want to show an image in your thread and you are already hosting it somewhere, e.g., Facebook, Flickr, Tumblr, Photobucket, and the CAF site, you can use the appropriate BBC codes. It's really pretty easy.

Once you have the pictures hosted, it's pretty simple:

• Go to the picture source, e.g., the CAF or your website
  • Right click on the image
  • Choose the "Copy Image URL"
  • In your CGC OA board post, choose "Switch to Full Reply Screen"
  • Choose the third icon from the left and follow the dialog box.

If you use the CAF thumbnails, you get smaller images that are easier on the reader.

See! It's easy if you have the image posted somewhere, e.g., like I said above: their own websites, CAF, Flickr, Photobucket, etc.

------

Once you do this, you'll see that you are embedding codes into your text message. The codes have a syntax like [] [/]. These are UBB codes and they are a simplified HTML tag.

You don't have to use the limited capabilities of the dialog box, you can type them in directly. Here's a link to a page on UBB codes: http://www.freebok.net/help/ubbcode.html

One of my favorite things to do is to not only show the image that I want, url, but also make it pickable, using '>, so that it goes to my site.

I've done this to this image of Superman below. If you click on it, it will take you to it in the CAF. Try it.

SupermanBySwan.jpg

Here's the syntax required:

[/b]]b]

In this case,

=http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=222850

=http://cdn.comicartfans.com/Images/Category_10225/subcat_34812/SupermanBySwan.jpg

OK, I think I've finally figured out how to post an image here, so I'd like to post one of my Clink wins from yesterday. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will display properly.

RAD8EECD2016223_857.jpg

So you were the one who won that, I took a shot at it but glad to see it got a good home.

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fallsub%2Easp%3FFocused%3D1%26id%3D1398%26Artist%3DDON%2520HECK%23Item%5F1103807&id=1103807

TOS 52, 5357.00..... Does anyone have an image of the page from the same issue that sold in the last auction? I'm pretty sure it sold for 3x this price.

Found the last one, page 4, $15,438

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?id=1080610

Big price difference, any thoughts?

yes..... asm 583 and asm 600 were John's last penciled and inked ASM covers.... I think I sold this cover art for 5k back in 2009....whats cool about that cover and story is..... it has the Barrack Obama election / spider-man story in the back of the book and it was a very sought after comic at the time.

Interesting Mike.. Was ASM 600 a variant? Because I don't see Romita listed as the cover artist..I see Alex Ross listed as the cover artist for that issue..

if you listed this on your website today for 5 k I would have bought it in a heartbeat... :headbang:

yes..... asm 583 and asm 600 were John's last penciled and inked ASM covers.... I think I sold this cover art for 5k back in 2009....whats cool about that cover and story is..... it has the Barrack Obama election / spider-man story in the back of the book and it was a very sought after comic at the time.

Interesting Mike.. Was ASM 600 a variant? Because I don't see Romita listed as the cover artist..I see Alex Ross listed as the cover artist for that issue..

if you listed this on your website today for 5 k I would have bought it in a heartbeat... :headbang:

ASM 600 was a variant if you want to call it that....and an amazing anniversary 600th issue cover...I sold it privately as soon as i got it in from john years ago...I personally don't see how it affects value (A Variant) other than maybe less people know the image.. If a cover is published its published in my book...... PLUS with the computer age now .(unlike the Newsstand days) it seems EVERY cover gets seen online now regardless if it was 1 out of 25 copies or 50 or whatever they do now to try to sell more books..... I haven't bought a new comic book since i sold my store back in 1997.

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fallsub%2Easp%3FFocused%3D1%26id%3D1398%26Artist%3DDON%2520HECK%23Item%5F1103807&id=1103807

TOS 52, 5357.00..... Does anyone have an image of the page from the same issue that sold in the last auction? I'm pretty sure it sold for 3x this price.

Personally, I think Page #4 is at least 3x better than Page #12, so the price difference is based on aesthetics, and in part maybe influenced by the fresh and first to market, where if Pg 12 was the 1st to be auctioned off, without anyone knowing of Pg 4's existence or intention to go up for sale, Pg 12 would have gone for a lot higher since it's perceived as the only option to get a page from the 1st appearance of Black Widow. I think I was the runner up for both offerings, and would probably have gone up to $8-10k for page #12 had I not been jaded by the fact that page #4, which I was a contender if not runner up on, went for $15k, and was a much better page, dampening my enthusiasm towards page 12.

I saw this when the X-Men #1 book was broken up and sold auction after auction via Heritage years ago, where it almost became predictable that if a bidder lost one auction, they'd feel another page was going to be up for sale the next round, so bidding might have been less aggressive. To me, that's the danger of competition (and competing against yourself) as a seller or in the marketplace. Too many options dilutes the attention and focus.

I think if the book was broken up and multiple paged are held by a single consignor, they'd be wise to take a break and revisit selling subsequent pages to let the interest build up again, unless it's a spectacular splash page or sequence.

Is this the cover you're talking about?

detail.jpg

Because if so, as you can see, it is listed as a variant cover on the Marvel website.

Is this the cover you're talking about?

detail.jpg

Because if so, as you can see, it is listed as a variant cover on the Marvel website.

Yeah that looks like the one.. It's definitely a variant.. Don't think Mike is saying otherwise. I think he is just saying it's irrelevant this day in age. It's more important to know whether or not the cover is published or not..

To me personally, I would still prefer owning an original non variant cover.

Personally, I think Page #4 is at least 3x better than Page #12, so the price difference is based on aesthetics, and in part maybe influenced by the fresh and first to market, where if Pg 12 was the 1st to be auctioned off, without anyone knowing of Pg 4's existence or intention to go up for sale, Pg 12 would have gone for a lot higher since it's perceived as the only option to get a page from the 1st appearance of Black Widow. I think I was the runner up for both offerings, and would probably have gone up to $8-10k for page #12 had I not been jaded by the fact that page #4, which I was a contender if not runner up on, went for $15k, and was a much better page, dampening my enthusiasm towards page 12.

I saw this when the X-Men #1 book was broken up and sold auction after auction via Heritage years ago, where it almost became predictable that if a bidder lost one auction, they'd feel another page was going to be up for sale the next round, so bidding might have been less aggressive. To me, that's the danger of competition (and competing against yourself) as a seller or in the marketplace. Too many options dilutes the attention and focus.

I think if the book was broken up and multiple paged are held by a single consignor, they'd be wise to take a break and revisit selling subsequent pages to let the interest build up again, unless it's a spectacular splash page or sequence.

Understandable, I would have thought the 15k precedence would have put this page around 9 or 10, not quite as good and later in the book, but with iron man in costume.

Understandable, I would have thought the 15k precedence would have put this page around 9 or 10, not quite as good and later in the book, but with iron man in costume.

I think you're right on target, and would speculate the winner of Page #4 is the same winner of Page #12, and who knows how high he (or she) would have gone beyond the winning bid. That we'll never know unless we knew who won it and they disclosed how high they'd have been willing to bid.

I think you're right in that Page #12 could have gone up to $10k (had I never seen page #4, I'd have bid up to $8k for this page #12, but just knowing what page #4 sold for and liking that sequence a lot better had me temper my valuation and cap my bidding).

I hit my ceilings (and even for Page #4 went beyond my comfort zone), but had I had deeper pockets and convicted passions, who knows where either Page #4 or even Page #12 have gone, had there been a bidding war (and I'd speculate one which I'd lose nonetheless).

It'll be interesting to see if another page from Tales of Suspense #52 emerges on consignment in the near horizon.