• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Celebrate Dell'Otto!
15 15

4,993 posts in this topic

44 minutes ago, Subby1938 said:

I just think it's  just terrible they take same cover re use it for another variant. Dell'otto shouldn't let his art be used like that . This variant thing is getting way out of hand. 

I'm not saying your wrong, but what about the original being out of some people's price range?

Can there be room for two?

See I agree that it shouldn't get reused but now I wonder if somehow it will prop up the original pricing or kill it.....

I've said this before, they did the same with BA 12 kind of...

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

6 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'm not saying your wrong, but what about the original being out of some people's price range?

Can there be room for two?

See I agree that it shouldn't get reused but now I wonder if somehow it will prop up the original pricing or kill it.....

I've said this before, they did the same with BA 12 kind of...

No need to bring up a non Dell’Otto this has been done twice with ASM 667 and x23 is his second most valuable cover so it was only a matter of time

Edited by Polirer

2 minutes ago, Polirer said:

No need to bring up a non Dell’Otto this has been done twice with ASM 667 and x23 is his second most valuable cover so it was only a matter of time

See that makes sense. I agree to those powers that be, it is doable. I guess what I want to know is the outcome of the new secondary market affecting the original. It sounds though like I want the future to be told. :blush:

I didn't want to pick on Dell Otto or his providers because it's not only them that are doing it is all I'm saying :foryou:

Speaking of, I just got my X-23 1 grade back. It's the one that I had signed by Craig Kyle and Dell'Otto. It was a 9.6 with pressable defects. I wasn't lucky in this case. I had Marjorie Liu sign it and had it pressed. No change in grade. Oh well.

IMO, I am not happy with the reuse of the cover. Had they altered it somehow and made it significantly different, I don't think I would have had as big a problem with it. I think its just too close to the original right now. For example, if you have to double take to determine if its the original or a variant, then I think its wrong to do it. I don't know a lot about the Turner Supergirl cover (Batman/Superman #4 German), but I believe the reissue that caused a bit of a stir was the Aspen SDCC one right? Well, that one to me was different enough to not be as big of a deal.

But, in the long run, I do think people will want the original and the price will not be affected. Short term it might be though.

2 hours ago, kevhtx said:

I don't know a lot about the Turner Supergirl cover (Batman/Superman #4 German), but I believe the reissue that caused a bit of a stir was the Aspen SDCC one right? Well, that one to me was different enough to not be as big of a deal.

B/S 4 was a Euro cover that reprinted a page in an existing comic though. The SDCC variant wasn't all that scandalous for those reasons.

12 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

I just think it's  just terrible they take same cover re use it for another variant. Dell'otto shouldn't let his art be used like that . This variant thing is getting way out of hand. 

Dell Otto himself has let Marvel print his convention sketches. Only one thing matters $$$$

5 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

Those I consider knock off garbage never meant for our market . Like everyone else the buyers target North America to try sell these .  

IDW has also used the identical image to Danger Girl 2 (1998) once or twice for original content comics that were released in North America.  

There are other examples but that is the most high profile variant where that was done that I can think of off the top of my head, and that has also remained one of Campbell's most expensive and highly sought after variants.

-J.