• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Celebrate Dell'Otto!
15 15

4,993 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, GaSouthernGrad said:

I usually don't like to brag but I think I got this for a steal.  

Venom Inc Alpha #1 - 1:50 Gabrielle Dell'Otto  for $70

https://outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed.com/ybfphpxq

I wouldn't brag until you get it and see the condition. It says VF condition and up. So, if you get one in VF condition, I don't think thats a very good deal. Good luck and if its NM/MT, you did great. ;) 

I’m ok with reprints. Allows for affordability without losing the great art on the cover.

Regarding the concerns, wouldn’t the dollar reprints (true believers, image firsts, etc) then too have a negative effect on the originals? Haven’t seen anything bad happens with the originals of these though.

JSC actually sells the La Mole versions at his booth. They are very close to the originals. Since they are mexican versions, I never thought of them as a threat to the originals, but I guess they could be. If these turn out to be similar, then I guess it won't be a big deal.

For the image firsts and true believers, those are not about the covers and are about first appearances, first issues or something else usually. So, those wouldn't affect the value of an original I wouldnt think. They aren't a replacement for an original at all.

A very large difference here is that newly released X-23 cover is a virgin variant. Most other instances of reusing popular cover art involves books with lots of trade dress, and either retailer or convention logos. All of that stuff cheapens the look of the final product and it obscures the art. That is kind of a big deal since people usually only buy these variants because of the art, as what happens on the interior pages is usually of no significance. While the new book featuring the X-23 #1 cover presents an overall cleaner version of the work, the original cover art wasn't really obscured to begin with (as the title, issue number, and barcode were all placed in the corners) and the print run of the original work remains unchanged. However, with X-23 #1 not being a key issue and the market now being supplied with a substitute (that some may say looks better) the heat on the original book won't be what it could have been. Judging by the success of this endeavor expect retailers to reuse every hot variant cover that is available to them over the coming months.  

4 hours ago, darkstar said:

A very large difference here is that newly released X-23 cover is a virgin variant. Most other instances of reusing popular cover art involves books with lots of trade dress, and either retailer or convention logos. All of that stuff cheapens the look of the final product and it obscures the art. That is kind of a big deal since people usually only buy these variants because of the art, as what happens on the interior pages is usually of no significance. While the new book featuring the X-23 #1 cover presents an overall cleaner version of the work, the original cover art wasn't really obscured to begin with (as the title, issue number, and barcode were all placed in the corners) and the print run of the original work remains unchanged. However, with X-23 #1 not being a key issue and the market now being supplied with a substitute (that some may say looks better) the heat on the original book won't be what it could have been. Judging by the success of this endeavor expect retailers to reuse every hot variant cover that is available to them over the coming months.  

Got it. This makes sense. Well hopefully this new Reprint cover has a positive affect versus a negative. Otherwise owning the original may not be outright worth it if you can get something potentially better. 

:wishluck:  I’m still going to like both and the original just because it is the original not a replica. Authentic!

1 hour ago, rogue14 said:

Got it. This makes sense. Well hopefully this new Reprint cover has a positive affect versus a negative. Otherwise owning the original may not be outright worth it if you can get something potentially better. 

:wishluck:  I’m still going to like both and the original just because it is the original not a replica. Authentic!

Doesn't seem to be hurting it.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/X-23-1-25-Variant-issue-1-Gabriele-DellOtto/253383851728?hash=item3afedabed0:g:-hgAAOSw4DJaZiCQ

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

Exactly.  The fact that the image has become iconic enough to warrant a fairly prestigious reprint, only puts a greater sheen on the original. 

-J.

2 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Exactly.  The fact that the image has become iconic enough to warrant a fairly prestigious reprint, only puts a greater sheen on the original. 

-J.

How is this a "prestigious" reprint? Hasn't everyone agreed it's a money grab?

Panini may reprint covers, but they do it right. Glossy and cardstock.

5 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

Total cash grab. I taked to few dealers in my area who happen to be overstreet advisors they agree this variant thing is worst place to park your money.

i mentioned the ASM 667 cgc 9.8 Dell'otto that sold for 9K or whatever he laughed explained that nobody can claim numbers under 200 for that book or any because they at that time would not have destroyed the books. Minimum prints back then 500-1000 they did them it's just finding them. Long term he said it was bad investment . Reprints are even worse

I'd take what "Overstreet advisors" have to say about modern variants with a grain of salt.

I've seen the Diamond shipment invoice for the ASM 667.  It was indeed a one case pack of around 225 copies shipped (half of which were rumoured damaged).

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

I'd take what "Overstreet advisors" have to say about modern variants with a grain of salt.

OK

I've seen the Diamond shipment invoice for the ASM 667.  It was indeed a one case pack of 225 copies shipped (half of which were rumoured damaged).

-J.

vlcsnap-2017-03-01-16h47m03s78_148840845

I've seen the Diamond shipment invoice for the ASM 667.  It was indeed a one case pack of 225 copies shipped (half of which were rumoured damaged).

-J.

And it was 1:100 ratio incentive so What was printed needed to meet the criteria. So subby double check the facts bud.

2 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

Yeah, no you didn't. And that damage rumor came from yourself.

9 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Objection, hearsay.

Is that supposed to be some form of "proof?" Unless I missed something, it's 6 pages of people on the internet speculating about the possibility that there were only 100 copies printed. Not 250 as you claim. Please elaborate.

Oh wait, that's the evidence that the damage rumor didn't come from you, but rather an eBay listing from 2013? Color me convinced. :eyeroll: