• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bill Sienkiewicz's stolen artwork

76 posts in this topic

Terrible news. Recently, someone started a thread asking if comic art heists have ever happened. I don't know what criteria has to be met before something is called a heist, but about 2 or 3 Decembers ago, Denys Cowan had a lot of art stolen during its transit to a museum for an exhibit. I'm not sure if any of it was recovered. It's also sad to see that many of the major art dealers have a "stolen art" page on their sites. All this doesn't even include those artists who have had artwork stolen from their portfolios at cons. It's too bad that once the art is handed over to a courier that you are most vulnerable.

From the comment stream, it appears that FedEx was the delivery company, and one of the questions was whether the thief/thieves recognized the artists name. I have remarked in the past (when buying) that the seller use my real name, as my PayPal account uses "comicwiz" - just makes it less ackward when you're at the post office trying to prove the package belongs to you when your drives license and ID use your real name.

However, reading about this situation now, I wonder if it's gotten to a point where artists with worldwide recognition need to consider using and alias instead of their real name when shipping their artwork.

From the comment stream, it appears that FedEx was the delivery company, and one of the questions was whether the thief/thieves recognized the artists name. I have remarked in the past (when buying) that the seller use my real name, as my PayPal account uses "comicwiz" - just makes it less ackward when you're at the post office trying to prove the package belongs to you when your drives license and ID use your real name.

However, reading about this situation now, I wonder if it's gotten to a point where artists with worldwide recognition need to consider using and alias instead of their real name when shipping their artwork.

Its possible check out Joe Mads twitter he just had around 100+k go missing from... you guessed it Fed Ex.

Not artwork, but I had one of my packages with cgc comics in it mysteriously be opened at a FedEx facility, it wasn't until I lodged a complaint and escalated it, did the contents mysteriously appear. Their statement was that the package wasn't taped properly, the funny thing was the side that was opened was not the taped side and would have required a box cutter to open. Luckily cgc comics have id #'s making it harder to sell unless cracked open.

Within the US, USPS registered mail requires signatures on all handoffs during the delivery process at a pretty reasonable price considering the level of security. Mike Burkey requested registered mail when I sold him a piece once, and then I used it for two pieces I sent Heritage last fall. It's a little slower, but secure.

International shipping, I don't have any experience with that. David

With all this stolen artwork out there, I have this distant fear (though unlikely to happen) that I get a great deal on a piece of art at a flea market or rinky-dink local con that ends up being a stolen work without my knowing. I then post it on CAF then get pegged as a thief.

I'm a regular buyer on Heritage and I really appreciate they don't put the company name on the mailing label anymore. I may start using the 'Signature Required' option someone else mentioned in this thread.

It's nice that Heritage doesn't send art with "Heritage Auctions" on the return address.