• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just a little ebay/paypal rant

51 posts in this topic

Have you emailed the buyer since this happened to let him know that because of how he handled it you are now out the money and the book?

I'd tell him to go down to customs and get your book back

Oh yes. I've e-mailed him several times. Very politely.

We make every effort to make sure your mail arrives safely, so we'll keep it for 18 days. After this, items will be returned to the sender's address on the external cover of the envelope or packet. Contact the sender of the item to see if it has been returned.

Dale,

If you haven't actually talked to someone at Paypal, I would do so immediately, and explain the situation.

Unlike eBay, which can be a nightmare to get anything done, if you do enough business through Paypal, they will normally look after their good customers.

Dale,

If you haven't actually talked to someone at Paypal, I would do so immediately, and explain the situation.

Unlike eBay, which can be a nightmare to get anything done, if you do enough business through Paypal, they will normally look after their good customers.

Might try that

This thread is kind of interesting. I don't know the mail service level or timeline used for sending this overseas but this thread has some strange feedback.

To what extent do people presume Paypal assumes an active role with a foreign carrier for refused items? I mean do people think of Paypal's service as a payment facilitator with some guarantees to protect against BS fraud and rip off artists (my assumption) OR do they consider Paypal to be a problem fixer when things don't work as they should who will then compensate you if they fail to file claims etc..on your behalf?

There are some links to help senders file a claim with Royal Mail and/or claim an item being held, even a link to forms

In general, if it helps - any outbound process (ie-held/returns) to cancel an entry document is the totality of the "Customs" process and that will take place within a Royal Mail facility with in-house officers.

Hope it's not too old & some of this helps. :foryou:

Another reason not to sell overseas on ebay. You can use the Global Shipping program but then the buyer gets screwed. I will sell overseas on the boards because this is a very small world that is well policed but not on the bay...

By the way, I wouldn't count on getting your book back. I recently had a problem with a book from a "no returns" seller who did a lousy job of describing a book. I contacted the seller and he stated again that "he did not take returns" so I filed on him. With a couple good photos and a good case, they returned my money and told me to keep the item. I didn't want it and would have been more than happy to return it but the guy was such a tool, I didn't feel so bad in the end.

You can opt out of eBay's Global Shipping Program.

There is absolutely no point to the GSP, it just makes international buyers have to pay about 200% of what you charge them for shipping, making them less likely to buy your book.

I sell to overseas buyers and so the buyers don't get screwed by eBay's GSP, I opted out as soon as I learned that ebay reams overseas buyers with excessive shipping surcharges.

Personally, I am glad that so many eBay sellers do NOT ship overseas.

That means the sellers that do, can get better prices....case in point:

Last 2 copies of NM 98 I had were both around VG/FN, raw.

I sold each book for $199.99 + 1st USPS class international airmail with e-con delivery confirmation......within less than a week of posting them via BIN.

Had a few US ebayers offer me $100-$150 or so on each listing, despite not having a BO option available.

Both of the buyers who bought and quickly paid for their books, lived in Belgium, and both paid the $199.99 + about $20-$25 for shipping for their raw mid grade copies.

I do always opt out of global shipping as well as check all the boxes for countries I don't ship to. I get your point about shipping out of the US. I guess you haven't been burned yet. I have 3 times and I'm done chancing it. Last time I lost $500. And never got the book back. I feel bad for out of country collectors. The greatest majority are honest. But the crappy few ruin it for everybody. If I can't track it, I won't ship it. And yeah, I know it can be tracked overseas but few buyers want to pay for it. I don't worry about board members much because we are a small community and police our selves real well.

While I'm not exactly a FAN -- eBay does charge buyers a huge mark-up -- I've used the GSP with good results.

I had a FF #1 Golden Records reprint ship via GSP to Canada. Buyer paid about $250 for the book, plus whatever eBay charged them for shipping. Then Canada Post LOST THE BOOK.

I was sweating bullets. I had flashbacks to the time several months before when I naively sold an iPhone for a couple hundred to a buyer in Estonia, shipped it myself, then had to eat the $200 when the buyer "never got" his item and he demanded a refund via eBay.

Fortunately, this time, eBay told the buyer to file a claim with Canada Post. I got to keep my money, because I'd shipped through GSP.

My general rule when eBay selling is GSP on items greater than about $50. I do lose some overseas buyers, but I don't lose any money. (Yes, "opportunity cost." You're right...)

I've had a book returned to me, I sent it express to somewhere in Europe. Long time ago and I don't remember where. They were unable to deliver the package, I ended up refunding the buyer voluntarily as I was in the process of filing a lost article insurance claim. They would not pay me my claim as not enough time had passed. Return shipping is surface by boat, even though I sent it express ??? . It took several months with no tracking but a real beat up box eventually showed up at my house.

So I sell a Batman #232 CGC 8.5 to a guy in the UK. Use paypal shipping, so they have the customs number and form. The book is shipped in 2 days. When it gets there, the buyer,( a guy name Ron Fenton) is in the hospital, and can't pick up the book. After a couple of weeks, the book is sent back to customs. This guy opens a paypal complaint and even though I use paypal shipping and forwarded them the guys e-mail to me, stating that they did in fact try to deliver the book to him, and he was not able to pick it up, and today paypal rules against me. So I neither have the book or the money. :frustrated:

Had the same problem with a friend of CAK ...

He oppened a case against me because the d bag wasn't able to pick up the mail... anyway ebay system is and the users who are abusive using it against us should be blocked from our lists

While I'm not exactly a FAN -- eBay does charge buyers a huge mark-up -- I've used the GSP with good results.

I had a FF #1 Golden Records reprint ship via GSP to Canada. Buyer paid about $250 for the book, plus whatever eBay charged them for shipping. Then Canada Post LOST THE BOOK.

I was sweating bullets. I had flashbacks to the time several months before when I naively sold an iPhone for a couple hundred to a buyer in Estonia, shipped it myself, then had to eat the $200 when the buyer "never got" his item and he demanded a refund via eBay.

Fortunately, this time, eBay told the buyer to file a claim with Canada Post. I got to keep my money, because I'd shipped through GSP.

My general rule when eBay selling is GSP on items greater than about $50. I do lose some overseas buyers, but I don't lose any money. (Yes, "opportunity cost." You're right...)

An iPhone to Estonia? Your phone probably got seized

ENHANCED PROLIFERATION CONTROL INITIATIVE (EPCI)

:eek:

BINGO!

That's the terms of GSP, e-bay/Pitney Bowes is the shipper to Canada, seller is off the hook when it's verified at Kentucky.

So for that hefty fee plus whatever percentage they skim off the top of the GSP fees from PitneyBowes - e-bay not only fleeced your buyer but they also compel them to file a claim for something their partner failed to deliver properly.

The true bingo is that e-bay suppresses negative feedback coming to you when this customer they've chased away tries to neg you for the aggravation their service creates.

2c

BINGO!

That's the terms of GSP, e-bay/Pitney Bowes is the shipper to Canada, seller is off the hook when it's verified at Kentucky.

So for that hefty fee plus whatever percentage they skim off the top of the GSP fees from PitneyBowes - e-bay not only fleeced your buyer but they also compel them to file a claim for something their partner failed to deliver properly.

The true bingo is that e-bay suppresses negative feedback coming to you when this customer they've chased away tries to neg you for the aggravation their service creates.

2c

The fleecing is pretty much the by country you chose to call home. Ebay is only complying with each country's duty. Ebay isn't profiting/fleecing, but rather upholding each country's fleecing of it's citizens. Pretty much more like that.

An iPhone to Estonia? Your phone probably got seized

ENHANCED PROLIFERATION CONTROL INITIATIVE (EPCI)

:eek:

Maybe so.

The research I did at the time led me to believe I was simply scammed. Gullible seller lists a high-ticket in-demand item Buy It Now and ships with no delivery confirmation. Slippery Former Soviet Bloc buyer pounces, then files an "I never got it" claim with eBay two weeks later.

Either way, live and learn. Thanks for the Apple link, though. I had no idea

As an overseas buyer, I won't touch the GSP listings.

It seems Americans feel the same, as I opt out of GSP (I actually don't know if its even running at full capacity in Australia), and I seem to get more customers from the USA, even with the exchange rate skewed in your favour.

I have no idea why the idea of sending a parcel to the UK/Australia/Europe is viewed as the kiss of death. Very insular.

This thread is kind of interesting. I don't know the mail service level or timeline used for sending this overseas but this thread has some strange feedback.

To what extent do people presume Paypal assumes an active role with a foreign carrier for refused items? I mean do people think of Paypal's service as a payment facilitator with some guarantees to protect against BS fraud and rip off artists (my assumption) OR do they consider Paypal to be a problem fixer when things don't work as they should who will then compensate you if they fail to file claims etc..on your behalf?

There are some links to help senders file a claim with Royal Mail and/or claim an item being held, even a link to forms

In general, if it helps - any outbound process (ie-held/returns) to cancel an entry document is the totality of the "Customs" process and that will take place within a Royal Mail facility with in-house officers.

Hope it's not too old & some of this helps. :foryou:

Thanks, I used this link and sent them all the info. Hopefully I will at least get the book.

Dale,

Might try that

You didn't call Paypal first?

Macho man is now confused!

So far every single UK, China, Japan, Germany, Singapore, and Canadian transaction has been flawless. So hopefully Dale can get this squared away with getting his book returned.

I am actually opening up my business shipping policy to ship to more international countries.