• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

All Time Favorite Comic Story

70 posts in this topic

My all-time favorite:

Avengers Annual #7/Marvel Two-in-One Annual #2-Starlin's epic tale pitting the Avengers, Captain Marvel, Warlock, Gamora, Pip, Thing, and Spider-Man against the Mad god, Thanos. It doesn't get better than this.

Followed closely by X-Men #125-#137, the Dark Phoenix Saga; and Daredevil #181, the death of Elektra.

Amazing Spider-Man 31 - 33 (Silver age) It just doesn't get much better than this.

Honorable mention: Donald Duck in the Andes (The square egg story)

If I have to pick one story arc, I'd go with. Jim Starlin's run on Strange Tales 178 to 181 and Warlock 9 to 11.

The prison story arc from the walking dead issues 41 to 48 (I think?) is also very good.

In the bronze age, I enjoyed

-X-Men 94-110

-Captain America 180-181 (Nomad)

-ASM 90-99 and ASM 121-122

Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD 10 - one of the best Christmas issues

In the modern era, my picks are:

Civil War 1-6

Captain America Vol. 5 Winter Soldier story line

and my lone DC pick - DC The New Frontier

Dark Knight Returns

Jim Starlin's Captain Marvel

Panther's Rage is an overlooked gem from Black Panther's run in Jungle Action in the mid 1970s

New World Order in JLA 1-4

Alan Moore's Swamp Thing

Bernie Wrightson's Swamp Thing 1-10

Neal Adams and Denny O'Neil's run on Green Lantern

Sandman's Season of the Mists

All Star Superman is an incredible story by Morrison on a character that can easily be written off as being irrelevant in print for decades. There were other decent stories like by Johns and Frank, but All-Star feels like an all time great book, and with art by a master.

I really like King City. I read it when comics seemed pretty up their own and felt every writer was more interested in proving they were writers rather than crafting the best stories. This is fun, imaginative, comics, and there's something to me about the one creator comic. A lot of time indie guys go a bit too far off what I find fun in comics, but this is perfect for me, and I'd throw in his Multiple Warheads too.

Speaking of which... Dave Sim reportedly has issues but the guy is a legit savant in this medium. Pick your favorite arc. Same with, and some have mentioned, certain arcs of Gaiman's Sandman. I dig me some Warren Ellis too, with Planetary being my favorite - along with Stormwatch.

I LOVE The Maxx, and I'm not sure Kieth has ever put it together like he did here. It's a beautiful, unique book - just so odd.

I know not many people are going come with me on this, not even his best to most, but I LOVE Ennis Hitman.

That said, the best story for me is oddly probably the most popular ongoing one. One Piece is just perfect comics to me. It feel underproduced yet epic, it feels spontaneous, it's just CRAZY and it totally shouldn't be this 100s of million dollar phenomenon but it is. It's just so much fun and one of the only things I make time for weekly in entertainment.

I loved reading many comics but the romance comic that was Mark Waid's The Flash caught me by surprise and is one of my favorite arcs ever. (Was it Waid and Augustyn?)

Stories I've read and re-read many times over the years -

Swamp Thing Annual no.2 "Down Amongst the Dead Men" Alan Moore

Sandman - Neil Gaiman - entire run

Miracleman - Moore / Gaiman

Judge Dredd - Apocalypse War / Necropolis - John Wagner & Carlos Ezquerra

My all-time favorite:

Avengers Annual #7/Marvel Two-in-One Annual #2-Starlin's epic tale pitting the Avengers, Captain Marvel, Warlock, Gamora, Pip, Thing, and Spider-Man against the Mad god, Thanos. It doesn't get better than this.

Followed closely by X-Men #125-#137, the Dark Phoenix Saga; and Daredevil #181, the death of Elektra.

Dark phoenix saga is near the top for me too. What an amazing job they did turning mastermind into a diabolical villain finally worthy of the title of master of illusion compared to the silly use of his powers back in the silver age. Great display of how much damage a foe can do when given the power to tamper with your soul. Perfect fate for him too when he gets his comeuppance at the hand of his one time puppet.

137 was just a little too dreary a conclucion to be my all time favorite although i admit if Claremont had gotten his way and phoenix lived the story wouldn't hit hard the way it does.

Single Issue:

What If? #24 Wolverine was Lord of the Vampires.

Story Arc:

Daredevil: Born Again

Mini Series:

The Crow

Monthly:

Strangers in Paradise

YTLM

Crossover Event:

Infinity Gauntlet

[font:Book Antiqua]

For me

as a long time Batman fan and comic book reader

Is Batman # 416.

You will never read a more human and touching story.

Usually fans praise Jim Starlin as an artist

but often they forgot how a great writer he used to be.

Bruce Wayne and Grayson best interaction...

[/font]

:cloud9::luhv::cloud9::luhv::cloud9::luhv:

Batman_416_zpsxtoxe6wq.jpg

As someone who hasn't been in the game for probably a tenth of the years most of you all have been. I'd have to say Matt Fraction's Hawkeye Series was my favorite, it was amazing, it set itself apart from all other current story lines.

Also I have to say the previous Deadpool (2012) series was what got me hooked into comics and is what I always wanted out of comics, even before I was into them. And the issue were Wade found out he had a daughter, legitimately brought me to tears.

This thread is also helping me increase my need to read list so thank you for that.

Just thought I would share that.

Single Issue:

What If? #24 Wolverine was Lord of the Vampires.

Story Arc:

Daredevil: Born Again

Mini Series:

The Crow

Monthly:

Strangers in Paradise

YTLM

Crossover Event:

Infinity Gauntlet

I think I've said this before (or maybe I just recognized it one day), but we have similar tastes.

Most of those are ones that I really enjoy. So many good choices from everyone, really!

I'm saying that my personal favorite, though, is Dark Phoenix Saga. I picked that one up EARLY in my collecting days, and it's not only a great story, but has sentimental value for me, being at the store and digging those out of the back issue boxes and being super excited about it (along with #129). Reading those books (which my mom found recently and brought to me here in Texas), and remembering the newsprint smell, and all of that. Just a cool experience for me.

Judge Dredd: America. I read it when I was 13, and it was the first time reading a comic book I realised they could be powerful literature.

original.jpg

That, and Akira. Absolute epic.