• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collusion in the OA Market - Right or Wrong?

290 posts in this topic

I bet this thread has the direct effect of reducing the number of "art I have at auction" threads in the marketplace.

not for me, I am continuing my 4 of 5 weekly 1c NR auctions. although I will not be listing next week, but that is to avoid the Easter weekend.

Malvin

In honor of this thread and my newfound knowledge about auction fairness and nefarious wrong-doing activity, I am going to bump my Hulk wanted thread for issue 227. As this issue clearly means the most to me, I would expect that all of my fellow collectors will sell their pages at my definition of FMV.

Looks like you've drawn me into a bumping war.

Per the new definition of "fair" I deem this post as very wrong and unfair. You should be ashamed!

The rule is: There are no friends in auctions.

Have you been reading this thead...lol we are just one big happy family....

I've never realised that there were so many philanthropists in this hobby, operating with the best intentions of others at heart. Brings a tear to my eye, I tell ya.

I'm gonna reach out to Keif Fromm and let him have that Ditko cover of mine that he wants at whatever price he considers FMV . . .

. . . and on a serious note, how do others here feel about buyers asking eBay sellers to pull the items and do a deal?

I remember some years ago, on comicart-l, a member there was quite proud of himself for acquiring art in this way (as long as he got what he wanted, it didn't matter a damn how he got it).

If I felt uncomfortable with the idea being suggested in this thread (not vehemently against it, just not for me as I prefer auctions to run naturally), I certainly abhor the practice of asking eBay sellers to pull their items for a straight cash sale . . .

Always thought that was a mixed bag Terry. I don't think people should be "stopped" from doing it (whatever that means) but I don't personally do it. There are complications.

One is the aspect of an auction where the seller doesn't know what they have (aka don't know it's worth). Bidders that do know will wait until the end to snipe, and the seller will be rather surprised by the late result (never knowing how much he really missed out on). Try to buy him out early and all you've done is given up your competitive price advantage. I think we've all seen sucker sellers suddenly "get educated" and then they shut it down and relist for 10x FMV. And the piece sits forever (heh!!)

With that in mind, I only see the value in it being either two knowledgeable parties finding a way to strike a "fair" price deal outside the eBay fee structure (with maybe some discount sharing being done as part of the deal) or the opportunity to SUPERsnipe the piece with a much higher than FMV offer that gets you the piece guaranteed, rather than waiting until the end to snipe and maybe forget to bid, have an internet outage, etc.

All that seems like a lotta work for little reward imo, I just bid my bid and win when I do. So much art out there, I lose, it's just on to the next piece!

Problem I have is that, unless a BIN is affixed, I'd expect the seller to stick to the rules and let the auction progress the way it's supposed to.

How many, here, get pi**ed when they see something they were pursuing on eBay get pulled prematurely due to background shenanigans?

Problem I have is that, unless a BIN is affixed, I'd expect the seller to stick to the rules and let the auction progress the way it's supposed to.

Expectations? In others? That you don't know? You must get disappointed. A lot ;)

Expectations? In others? That you don't know? You must get disappointed. A lot ;)

Not really, there's little out there that surprises me any more. I try to act honourably, but not everyone does the same.

There's a Wally Wood quote that goes:

"Paranoia is an understanding of peoples' true motives."

I think he may have hit upon something there.

So, let's say my dad's grail cover comes up for auction.

I want to get it for him as an Xmas gift, but he calls me and says "d00d!, did you see MLP:FIM #1 cover just came to auction! you think i have enough in my stash to get it?"

if I step aside and don't fight him for the cover is that market manipulation?

Not really, there's little out there that surprises me any more. I try to act honourably, but not everyone does the same.

lol maybe, but I am not sure Wally Wood is the guy I am getting my mental health advice from....depending on the date of that quote.

I want to get it for him as an Xmas gift, but he calls me and says "d00d!, did you see MLP:FIM #1 cover just came to auction! you think i have enough in my stash to get it?"

If your dad ever, for any reason, uses the word "d00d!" in a non-derogatory or sarcastic way you should punishment bid him up into the next tax bracket.

If your dad ever, for any reason, uses the word "d00d!" in a non-derogatory or sarcastic way you should punishment bid him up into the next tax bracket.

I agree.

But, alas, I find the odds of that happening pretty low. Last year I had to explain to him why using all caps on Facebook all the time was a bad thing. Plus he's too busy fwd'ding me chain letters.....

lol maybe, but I am not sure Wally Wood is the guy I am getting my mental health advice from....depending on the date of that quote.

Can you overdose on alcohol? That would be my preferred exit.