• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Venom Movie
3 3

1,187 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, paperheart said:

Nostradamus says 38 RT

I'll take the over on that bet:devil:.

15 hours ago, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

Pre-movie verdict: I'll not pay to see this in the theatre. I'll catch it online one day for much cheaper.

If the RT score is 80 or higher go plot down your money in the theatre:sumo:.

12 hours ago, Oddball said:

...I had to play back that last scene a few times to understand everything he was saying to the thug.

I had no problems understand what he said in my first viewing.  Upgrade your speakerslol.

12 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

When did Venom start eating people?

People keep saying he bites the guys head off?  We never see him eating or biting anybody in the trailer:idea:

5 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

I never thought it was possible to do a Venom film that more than half of people would enjoy.  Everything that has made the character popular with comic fans absolutely, positively would never appeal to a mass audience.  The trailers appeal to me as a fan of the character, but they confirm my suspicions that most people were never going to like a movie about Venom.

I slapped my forehead so hard I knocked myself out:facepalm:lol.

4 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

Without spidey or that universe...it's just another alien movie.

Pick up the Lethal Protector books (Spider-Man isn't part of it).  Honestly, great story(thumbsu.

1 hour ago, Straw-Man said:

venom came way after my days of reading new comics were over, and thus i know about him only vaguely, apart from the spidey 3 treatment.

The Spidey 3 treatment of Venom is equivalent to the X-Men treatment of Deadpool:sick:.

***Slow day at work:cry:

I guess I'm the only one who isn't overly impressed with Tom Hardy's work. He's good, but definitely not as great as you guys make him out to be lol

Anyways, being someone who was a fan of Lethal Protector, I am happy with the elements they present in the trailer, however, making Carnage the "villain" in this is a terrible terrible mistake. If you are going to make a stand alone Venom film, (most likely filmS) you cannot crack Carnage out of the box like this. The Eddie Brock backstory is what made Venom, Venom. Having read that the movie is the combination of Lethal Protector and Planet of the Symbiotes, you have to use Carnage. I suppose I would be more supportive of a R rated Venom and Carnage, ala Logan, then something like this.

Then again, seeing how the Xmen and FF stories were butchered, I shouldn't be surprised. We definitely don't need another Peter Parker origin story, and fitting Venom into the new Spiderman would be challenging.

1 hour ago, ExNihilo said:

My bad.  I meant to say he wasn't an important part of the story.  If Spider-man wasn't in the story it wouldn't have changed the outcome.  People are making too much of a deal that Spider-man isn't in the movie.

Furthermore, the whole Eddie seemingly sounding slow witted in the the trailer.  I think it is a slow transformation.  In some of the scenes he sounds intelligent.  So I'm assuming as the symbiote starts taking over is when his dialogue and personality changes.

18 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

My bad.  I meant to say he wasn't an important part of the story.  If Spider-man wasn't in the story it wouldn't have changed the outcome.  People are making too much of a deal that Spider-man isn't in the movie.

Furthermore, the whole Eddie seemingly sounding slow witted in the the trailer.  I think it is a slow transformation.  In some of the scenes he sounds intelligent.  So I'm assuming as the symbiote starts taking over is when his dialogue and personality changes.

Hope you do understand why people are upset Spiderman isn't in it. I personally think, that going with Lethal Protector and Planet of the Symbiotes, that Spiderman has no part to play at all. He was in Lethal Protector more as a supporting act to make sure copies sold.

My logic comes to the conclusion that this will be a one off, like ones in the past, like Punisher.

2 hours ago, IkewithMike said:

Hope you do understand why people are upset Spiderman isn't in it. I personally think, that going with Lethal Protector and Planet of the Symbiotes, that Spiderman has no part to play at all. He was in Lethal Protector more as a supporting act to make sure copies sold.

My logic comes to the conclusion that this will be a one off, like ones in the past, like Punisher.

Your logic fails you:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro.co.uk/2018/07/21/venom-director-confirms-plan-expanded-mcu-style-universe-tom-hardy-reveals-touching-reason-signed-film-7744146/amp/

-J.

11 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

I wish I was a millionaire, but it doesn't make it so.

Here's hoping it's done well enough and will put out some good storylines, and a backstory to the McFarlane era.

I don't know what the Rotten Tomatoes score will be,but this movie will make bank. Venom is very very popular with Millennials.

Let's not understimate that, as they are the majority of the buying box office crowd now.

Myself, I liked the new trailer, and it is a must see now!

(thumbsu

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

On 7/31/2018 at 1:31 PM, fantastic_four said:

Looks good, but it also doesn't look mainstream.  As a fan of the character I'm looking forward to it, but I know he's too bizarre and violent for most people.  I guess that's fine as long as they didn't spend too much on the budget.

To me they are aiming this at the Halloween, Friday the 13th, and Alien crowd more than the super hero crowd.

The Venom trailer has a Toxic Avenger vibe going to it.

23 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I don't know what the Rotten Tomatoes score will be,but this movie will make bank. Venom is very very popular with Millennials.

Gen X too since he was introduced in 1988.  When I began to like him around 1990 I found that older collectors thought he was dumb.  I've seen similar attitudes among older collectors in this forum.  I get it since he's such an extreme character, he's definitely not for everyone.

15 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

To me they are aiming this at the Halloween, Friday the 13th, and Alien crowd more than the super hero crowd.

The Venom trailer has a Toxic Avenger vibe going to it.

yep, that trailer looks like it could've been produced by Troma (for $87.50 not accounting for inflation)

7 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Gen X too since he was introduced in 1988.  When I began to like him around 1990 I found that older collectors thought he was dumb.  I've seen similar attitudes among older collectors in this forum.  I get it since he's such an extreme character, he's definitely not for everyone.

Deadpool got that similar kind of resistance, until I guess he made bank at the box office.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

16 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:
23 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Deadpool got that similar kind of resistance, until I guess he made bank at the box office.

Yea, definitely.

But I'm not sure Venom translates as well as Deadpool does.  His sense of humor is universally appealing, but the symbiote behavior and Venom's nasty attitude and violent tendencies don't have nearly as wide an appeal.  I love all of it, but I know most people don't, particularly women.

3 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Yea, definitely.

But I'm not sure Venom translates as well as Deadpool does.  His sense of humor is universally appealing, but the symbiote behavior and Venom's nasty attitude and violent tendencies don't have nearly as wide an appeal.  I love all of it, but I know most people don't, particularly women.

Oh please.  This movie is going to open at an easy #1 and probably do $125-$150MM opening weekend worldwide on its ~$70MM budget.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules