• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bad Business? UPDATE: I'm making the purchase

114 posts in this topic

It sounds like you agreed to the deal and now you're trying to back out.

In some responses, you appeared to be specifically vague about a few things (dodging the shipping question the first time it was asked, for instance).

Honor your end of the bargain and uphold your reputation here. Apologize to the seller for any confusion and admit you made a mistake in attempting to back out. All will be good.

My 2c

Everything should be fine *******. Give me until tomorrow please. I have some bills to pay first and I may have the book shipped elsewhere (still in US)

This, but it seems he was trying to leave a back door, just in case. Pay the man and be done with it before this gets any worse.

I think stanley1883 should get credit for putting it out there and asking but I laughed out loud when I read the first post because I knew some people would immediately hold it against him. This type of post can be chum in the water here.

But I agree a few dollars is not worth the hassle. I also think the seller could have thought you were excited to buy multiple copies, "I also have someone ELSE offering to sell one". It is a bit of a non sequitur.

Pay the man and be done with it. Don't wreck a reputation and future dealings on here over a lousy ten or fifteen bucks. You'll never hear the end of it. (thumbs u

this

I don't think this is far along in the process yet to even think about that. Lets see how this unfolds first. Hopefully it gets resolved before we have any discussion towards that.

In a nutshell:

Me:

I'd like to be a buyer at around $125.

Seller:

125 sounds reasonable so we have a deal. I recently sent one slab to a collector and I think the postage cost around $15. That included signature confirmation. How about we split the postage.

Me:

Everything should be fine *******. Give me until tomorrow please.

This is a deal struck

Personally I wouldn't have gone about it like the buyer did, but there is enough in that back and forth where I wouldn't think this was probation list worthy.

This. There's nothing to apologize for except maybe a misunderstanding. Personally, I would pay for the book, make a note of the seller, and remember to be very specific next time. Lesson learned.

Close the deal with the boardie, please. Most would see this as a deal being agreed upon. I personally do think this is a probation worthy offense but no need for it to go down that rabbit hole.

There was a bit of ambiguity on your part throwing in the statement that someone else was offering you the book but as far as I can tell you agreed to his price prior to that. You should not have taken it that far with him if you were still "shopping"

OP told the seller he might be buying another book and seller did not hit the roof.

Then he hit the roof when OP said he was buying the other book.

If I were the seller, I would have thought we made a deal. Maybe if your response was a little clearer by stating, "I have another person willing to sell. I'll let you know if I want to purchase your book by tomorrow," it would have been different. But after offering $125, the seller accepting the offer, and then you tell him to wait until you pay bills (which makes it sound like you're definitely buying after you pay them), I think a deal was made.

Looks like you agreed to a deal, the purchase price, the 1/2 postage.

Seller agreed to wait till tomorrow. You also let seller know you were buying more than one copy, at least 1 more from someone else, so it is fine you may need some time to get money together.

I think you should absolutely follow thru with agreement. You did not word this as if you were merely shopping for a best price at all, and you needed time to think.

OP told the seller he might be buying another book and seller did not hit the roof.

Then he hit the roof when OP said he was buying the other book.

He did not say our deal is contingent on me not buying this other comic he just said he might be buying another of the same comic.

I get what his intention might have been but he was not clear in stating them to the seller,

I wouldn't go into my LCS and offer $125 for a $150 wall book, have the owner accept, and then say "well let me think about it." If I am offering to pay a price, and they accept, that's the deal. Just my 2c of course.

I wouldn't go into my LCS and offer $125 for a $150 wall book, have the owner accept, and then say "well let me think about it." If I am offering to pay a price, and they accept, that's the deal. Just my 2c of course.

+1 end of argument.

For myself if i offer $$$ to seller and he says deal then that is like a virtual handshake - done deal-

Afterward another seller is mentioned. To me this is wrong if you are now going to deal with another seller as well then buy both books if you like them.

This is a grey area I think. PM's are a private and informal way to work things out so I think people approach deals different ways. The seller obviously had an issue with how you handled it and I believe more than one seller would while I have never had an issue with my approach. In the selling forum going back on a deal would be a definite issue.

My advice is to live and learn. Don't make an offer on these boards in any capacity that you aren't willing to stand behind 100%.