• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bad Business? UPDATE: I'm making the purchase

114 posts in this topic

Ok folks, I need some help here. A prospective seller and myself were having a conversation, I will post the back and forth here. I want to know if I am in the wrong as the seller claims.

I have dealt with a number f you previously and to my knowledge, there was never any incidents. Please let me know what you think, did I indeed do something that could damage my reputation?

Me:

Fair enough, the prices are a bit sporadic on eBay, looking at sold and completed items. I'd like to be a buyer at around $125. Thoughts? Keep in mind the price more than likely moved one direction or another since you purchased your copy and will continue to do so.

-Greg

Seller:

Greg,

125 sounds reasonable so we have a deal. I recently sent one slab to a collector and I think the postage cost around $15. That included signature confirmation. How about we split the postage.

One more thing where are you located? I only want to do this if you live in the United States. I live in southern California.

Me:

I'm in Seattle, are you planning on going to any Comic Cons this year?

-Greg

Seller:

No. I'm a collector not a dealer. The only time I sell comics is when I sell it to a collector who put an add on the wanted to buy forum.

I have only went to one comic convention in the last 10 years.

So are you ok with paying half the postage. Once you send the money via pay pal I will send the comic within 24 hours.

Thanks

Me:

Everything should be fine *******. Give me until tomorrow please. I have some bills to pay first and I may have the book shipped elsewhere (still in US)

Me:

I also have someone else offering to sell one.

Seller:

No problem get back with me tomorrow.

Seller:

Greg,

Hope things are going good. When do you think you will be sending the money? I just bought a WD #71 in CGC 9.8 and I told the guy I would be sending the money in a day or two.

Thanks,

Me:

Hey ******, it looks like the other seller is offering me a better deal. I mentioned I my have another seller,its the 3rd message above third one. It's not quite final yet however it looks promising so if you have another buyer for the ToT, by all means, feel free to sell it.

Seller:

Your joking correct. You told me you were paying 125. I agreed and then asked you about the postage. You said you would get back with me tomorrow.

So are you saying after we agreed on a price you found it cheaper and now want to cancel our deal? If you want to do this then go ahead and do it but it will hurt your reputation on the boards. Do you know how many times I have agreed on a price and then was offered a cheaper price from another board member. It happens a lot but I never once backed out of a deal.

I think you should think about what your doing. Discuss it with someone who you respect and let me know tomorrow what you want to do. Hopefully you will do the right thing.

-Greg

So whats the consensus? I never officially agreed to complete the deal but I'll let you all decide.

I think when you said

Me:

Everything should be fine *******. Give me until tomorrow please. I have some bills to pay first and I may have the book shipped elsewhere (still in US)

that to me sounds like I'm good give me until tomorrow to pay.

If you were on the fence you should have said.

Me:

Everything should be fine *******. Give me until tomorrow please to decide. I have some bills to pay first and I may have the book shipped elsewhere (still in US) if I purchase the comic.

Just because you had someone else wanting to sell you one means nothing with the way you stated "give me until tomorrow" maybe you are buying multiples.

Eh, whatever.

This would be cordial on Ebay. It's not like this was Craigslist and you stood him up while he was waiting in a dark parking lot after work.

... but you just let everyone know that you might do this again in the future.

Well allow me to play Devils Advicate for a moment please.

I guess it's just strange to me considering i did let it be known that there was another seller involved and I stated that I needed a day. None of those comments/disclosures carry any weight?

Only the fact that I said "should" is being taken into consideration and I was under the impression that should isn't definitive.

So then assuming the opinion does shift and I do go with the "other" offer, am

I landing on the list? Is this a probationary offense?

Pay the man and be done with it. Don't wreck a reputation and future dealings on here over a lousy ten or fifteen bucks. You'll never hear the end of it. (thumbs u

Eh, whatever.

This would be cordial on Ebay. It's not like this was Craigslist and you stood him up while he was waiting in a dark parking lot after work.

... but you just let everyone know that you might do this again in the future.

I've dealt with enough people that I would assume my past provides me with some sort of....."cushion."

Who knows, I guess all it takes is one time.

Well allow me to play Devils Advicate for a moment please.

I guess it's just strange to me considering i did let it be known that there was another seller involved and I stated that I needed a day. None of those comments/disclosures carry any weight?

Only the fact that I said "should" is being taken into consideration and I was under the impression that should isn't definitive.

So then assuming the opinion does shift and I do go with the "other" offer, am

I landing on the list? Is this a probationary offense?

seeing as the posts have been unanimous in favor of you agreeing to the deal it stands to reason that you did not communicate your intentions effectively and appeared to agree to the deal

To me this makes it murky:

Me:

Seller:

If the seller really thought a deal was finalized the mention of another possible seller should have elicited a response other than what was given.

Me:

Seller:

If the seller really thought a deal was finalized the mention of another possible seller should have elicited a response other than what was given.

With the back to back posts, the seller could have been saying "no problem" to the "give me until tomorrow" portion.

Me:

Me:

Seller:

Whoever the buyer is seems to clearly be in the wrong here.

Me:

Seller:

Just an interpretation, but I think the seller is responding the part just above (he has other bills to pay "so give me until tomorrow please" - to which the seller allowed for,.