• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Showcase #4 9.8 on Comic Connect - sold for 15k

417 posts in this topic

seeing a lot out of ultra high grade keys with extensive resto being churned out by the company- anyone have an idea who has been working on them? They seem to be doing decent work for what it is. Just curious I learned a long time ago resto is not for me.

CBCS giving out 9.8's to extensively restored copies really makes me wonder about them. IMO, it does not help their image. It has that 'we'll give anything a high grade' feel to it.

But in all fairness, it looks flawless, so therefore wouldn't a 9.8 restored grade be appropriate?

CBCS giving out 9.8's to extensively restored copies really makes me wonder about them. IMO, it does not help their image. It has that 'we'll give anything a high grade' feel to it.

But in all fairness, it looks flawless, so therefore wouldn't a 9.8 restored grade be appropriate?

The grade is probably appropriate.

Its the restoration detection that is difficult to do, so you may not really know how much and what was done from what I understand.

Some nice work is being done. Would think that a 9.8 restored is not going to be a rare thing. There is a hulk 9.8 #1 in next comic connect auction , probably the same restoring company. I mean come on these books are like reprints. Obviously whoever is doing it is getting good results from other grading company. I think it does go to credibility , it should be a manufactured reprint using original pieces category. Any one paying huge money for these has cash to burn...

The grade is probably appropriate.

Its the restoration detection that is difficult to do, so you may not really know how much and what was done from what I understand.

Apparently enough is detectable for it to reside in a restored slab....... Not my cup of tea, but I would certainly love to witness the transformation first hand .... it's not the sort of thing that just anyone could do. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

.... it doesn't have a 9.8 grade either..... it is an "apparent" 9.8.....

that sort of extensive restoration tho - it all adds up to a giant pair of DDs on a thai lady boy!!! No Thanks!!! (Not for me at least )

you had me up until thai lady boy :sick:

+1

Yup. And the company that does the restoration is called igb. CGC refused to call their work "professional" so they took their books to CBCS, who are basically the "Mikey" of the slabbing companies.

If I'm not mistaken there were a few books like these in the last c-link auction that basically flopped.

-J.

Read up on IGB in Gold. All the 9.6 or 9.8 restored CBCS books (SA and GA) popping up everywhere are their handiwork. From SC4 9.8 to AF15 9.6 to Batman1 9.6. The market is being flooded with their recreated mess.

There are 2 threads on them: who is eBay seller IGB and there's a restored Tec 33 burning up on ebay