• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Showcase #4 9.8 on Comic Connect - sold for 15k

417 posts in this topic

I'm still sticking with 85k...

Hate to say it but not a chance. The Blue 7.5 is only at 30k currently and will likely not hit 85k.

85k for sure not but closer to 65-70k

I think that would still be a good price for that book. But bidders have spoken, CBCS never goes for what it's CGC equivalent would go for. To be honest, I'd be more excited about a CGC 9.8 resto than this...

So far the camps seem to be in the CBCS 9.8 = 9.0-9.2 unrestored value vs. CBCS 9.8 = CGC VGish value.

Hate to say it but not a chance. The Blue 7.5 is only at 30k currently and will likely not hit 85k.

I think that would still be a good price for that book. But bidders have spoken, CBCS never goes for what it's CGC equivalent would go for. To be honest, I'd be more excited about a CGC 9.8 resto than this...

So far the camps seem to be in the CBCS 9.8 = 9.0-9.2 unrestored value vs. CBCS 9.8 = CGC VGish value.

That is talking about the CGC 7.5 blue label. There is no chance the restored 9.8 goes for 65-70k.

Though not always true. The opening bids tell a good story:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookSearch.php?title=showcase&issue=4

currently:

Showcase 4 Restored 9.8 @ 6.6k

Showcase 4 Universal 7.5 @ 33.3k

Showcase 4 Universal 5.0 @ 10.1k

Since the Universal 5.0 will likely end at 18-23k (based on semi recent past sales). I would hazard a strong guess the 9.8 restored doesn't even pass the 5.0 blue at this point.

currently:

Since the Universal will likely end at 18-23k (based on semi recent past sales). I would hazard a strong guess the 9.8 restored doesn't even pass the 5.0 blue at this point.

I'm with you Iceman. I have no earthly idea why anyone would pay that kind of money for a restored book. If you can afford 80k or whatever some of the estimates are, why not just buy a midgrade blue label instead? I have a hard time believing someone would sink that kind of scratch into something with that kind of volatility, value wise.

currently:

Since the Universal will likely end at 18-23k (based on semi recent past sales). I would hazard a strong guess the 9.8 restored doesn't even pass the 5.0 blue at this point.

.... it might approach the 5.0..... but there's been a lot of negative chatter. I agree with those who wish more pre-resto information was available....... if it was a 5.0 that became a 9.8 rather than a 1.5 that became a 9.8, it really would make a world of difference.... and it should. The "Extensive" could apply to either scenario..... and this is just my opinion, but having only 3 tiers to distinguish the amount of work is just not enough. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

currently:

.... it might approach the 5.0..... but there's been a lot of negative chatter. I agree with those who wish more pre-resto information was available....... if it was a 5.0 that became a 9.8 rather than a 1.5 that became a 9.8, it really would make a world of difference.... and it should. The "Extensive" could apply to either scenario..... and this is just my opinion, but having only 3 tiers to distinguish the amount of work is just not enough. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

At this point I don't see it beating the 5.0 but who knows lol

I agree resto needs to make another change and include 2 grades, pre and post work.

Are you basing this on any actual data? And if so, can you tell me where you got that data? I've been trying to find a site that tracks CBCS sales in order to do this comparison but have had no luck.

That's not true what was said above about CBCS books not selling for the same as CGC. It depends on the book.

I've seen dealers pricing CGC and CBCS books with the same grade...the same price. And, I've seen keys sell on other sites that are in-line with or above CGC sales.

A lot of CBCS non keys seem to go for less than CGC values for some reason.

I don't think a CBCS graded Showcase 4 (blue label unrestored) would be any less than a CGC blue label.

OCD. If you have a run of ASM and issue 695 comes up in a 9.8 you will want to complete it in a case that matches the rest. Keys on the other hand don't matter as much

That's not true what was said above about CBCS books not selling for the same as CGC. It depends on the book.

I've seen dealers pricing CGC and CBCS books with the same grade...the same price. And, I've seen keys sell on other sites that are in-line with or above CGC sales.

I don't think a CBCS graded Showcase 4 (blue label unrestored) would be any less than a CGC blue label.

+1

The price of a book has so many factors as we've discussed ad nauseum.

It will be nice once someone publishes some data so we can draw real conclusions instead of the endless speculation, emotionally-charged banter, and anecdotal assertions.

Someone has done an analysis and found that CBCS underperforms CGC 10-25%.

That's consistent with other anecdotal reports as well as my own observations.

-J.

Someone has done an analysis and found that CBCS underperforms CGC 10-25%.

That's consistent with other anecdotal reports as well as my own observations.

-J.

What book is #2 in the silver age currently?