• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

guess the grade; Fantastic Four #1

68 posts in this topic

Notes, tears, and all other things aside.

Of course you all realize this will come back with an 8.5 on the label dont ya?

Ze-

At least I hope this fine looking book does.

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Something does not look quite right about the book.

Restored?

Possibly cleaned and pressed.

27_laughing.gif It's one of Harry's original owner books that he bought from Sid's Luncheonette. It's not cleaned and pressed. NICE TRY THOUGH. makepoint.gif

What you are seeing is more likely just some slight color fading from UV exposure over the years.

No grade counsellor 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Restored?

27_laughing.gif It's one of Harry's original owner books that he bought from Sid's Luncheonette. It's not cleaned and pressed. NICE TRY THOUGH. makepoint.gif

What you are seeing is more likely just some slight color fading from UV exposure over the years.

I already know the grade so I don't want to ruin it for the rest of you. Blame Harry. yay.gif

Restored?

I already know the grade so I don't want to ruin it for the rest of you. Blame Harry. yay.gif

I knew that was why you were "silent" 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

the results of this little exercise remind me (in a fashion) of the very first book in the March Madness grading contest.

if you'll recall that one, Nikos X-men book had 6 guys nail it and all of the remaining 58 guesses (mine included) were LOWER than the actual grade. i found that to be a statistical anomaly of a sort...........in my mind there should be guesses both lower and higher than the actual grade.

here we have an example where no one guessed lower than the actual grade of 6.0. 17 guesses with an average of 6.9 but everyone was either correct or higher.

congrats to Tomega, Inconceivable and davidpg for nailing it and to Diva and peter for almost nailing it with their hedge guesses.

to say i was disappointed with this one is an understatement. the defects in the graders notes are all things that are hard to even see. the "Stains" are all but invisible and the "creases" are fairly light. the book is tight, with mostly nice corners and very pretty in person. IF i ever sell it someone is gonna be one happy camper with this book for a 6.0 price............ frown.gif

next up JIM #83..................

Another beautiful book from the Sid's Luncheonette pedigree.

I suspect, though, that CGC killed it over the front cover corner crease. I'll guess 6.5.

YOUR POST BEAT ME TO IT! What page quality did you get, Harry?

Absolutely a beautiful book.

thumbsup2.gif

For me what would have kept the grade below FN/VF is because of the vertical crease that's in the monsters hand about an inch into the the book. I still believe that NORMAL WEAR around the SPINE, CORNERS and OVERHANG is graded less harshly then creases / tears that appear in the middle of the book.

congrats to Tomega, Inconceivable and davidpg for nailing it and to Diva and peter for almost nailing it with their hedge guesses.

Harry,

Not only did I nail it, but I was the first one with the cajones to (offend you) sumo.gif

flowerred.gifhi.gif

Notes, tears, and all other things aside.

Of course you all realize this will come back with an 8.5 on the label dont ya?

Ze-

At least I hope this fine looking book does.

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Harry.. I hope you realize my 8.5 guess was just wishful thinking.. I really was hoping you got a generous, Nikos type of grade.

In my heart I knew it was around a 6.0/6.5.. hence why I said fine looking book.

I think we all either own, or can point to 7.0 slabbed books that have similar.. or worse flaws then your F.F. #1 displays.

Structurally your book sure does look the part of at least a 7.0

Do you think it was the abraded ULC?, the stain?, or the crease that brought the grade down the most?

Or was this more a case of the book just had too many minor flaws to ignore.. no matter how nicely it might present itself?

As you said.. the book sure does have great eye appeal.

And those who deal in Major Key books alot.. out of all the slabbed keys you have seen, are they graded on a gentler curve then a normal SA book might be? For some reason I always thought they were. Personally I could see how it would be hard to NOT overlook a few flaws , considering what it is you are holding, looking at.

But then again.. I still get a kik outa looking at these key books.. and am not numb to it yet. As I imagine those who see them everyday might become immune to the WOW factor.

I still say.. your 6.0 was a tuff/low grade though.. flowerred.gif

Ze-

Another beautiful book from the Sid's Luncheonette pedigree.

I suspect, though, that CGC killed it over the front cover corner crease. I'll guess 6.5.

YOUR POST BEAT ME TO IT! What page quality did you get, Harry?

PQ is off-white...........

Should I replace the 2 n's in my name, with 2 r's?

And no this is NOT politcal post.

( I really was just poking fun at everyone for guessing 6.5.. after seeing all the books Nikos gets back... and the generous grades he seems to regularly get.. I really was hoping we would all have to eat crow when Harry posted an 8.5)

Ze-

Harry,

Not only did I nail it, but I was the first one with the cajones to (offend you) sumo.gif

flowerred.gifhi.gif

David - "6.0 Fn or perhaps a 6.5", is not exactly nailing it.........very close to nailing it but that little hedge keeps you out of the winners circle. try the next one............ devil.gif

Should I replace the 2 n's in my name, with 2 r's?

And no this is NOT politcal post.

( I really was just poking fun at everyone for guessing 6.5.. after seeing all the books Nikos gets back... and the generous grades he seems to regularly get.. I really was hoping we would all have to eat crow when Harry posted an 8.5)

Ze-

It's a pretty book, regardless of the grade. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Restored?

Hey, it is not out of the realm of possibilities. That is why I had a question make next to it. I knew it was faded a bit but the coloring through me a bit. The colors were relatively strong but still off and it looked very flat ( if you can really even articulate that from 2 dimensional scan.) Like a I said, something did not look quite right.

Regardless, I still got the grade correct. grin.gif

Hey, it is not out of the realm of possibilities. That is why I had a question make next to it. I knew it was faded a bit but the coloring through me a bit. The colors were relatively strong but still off and it looked very flat ( if you can really even articulate that from 2 dimensional scan.) Like a I said, something did not look quite right.

Regardless, I still got the grade correct.

Harry scans do have a "FLAT" look to them. Obviously, it's his scanner, unless it's because the books have a lot of color but very little gloss left (which I don't think is the case).