• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MAN OF STEEL appreciation thread
2 2

398 posts in this topic

...Batman V Superman is way too cold and cynical to be considered a comic book movie. It had plenty of wonder, but I figured out what it was missing... a sense of humor. Why so serious? ...

Nice one giggle.gif

But I have to say, that's why I liked it. I enjoyed the dark tone to the movie. Then again, I'm just a grumpy old bas.....

I like dark-toned funnybook movies mind you.

The Crow

Batman Returns

The Dark Night

My thing was Synder didn't know how to balance the themes so well in any version of this, like a more gifted filmmaker could and not worry about merchandise and Happy Meals sales.

Which is odd because he remade one of the best horror sequels of all time into his own vision that almost can be considered an equal in some regards.

I'm sure down the road, we will here about the studio pressure and how he caved in to it, denouncing his efforts on it.

That will be quite the "suckerpunch" to fans on here who gave the theatrical cut an 8 out of 10 in a poll a while back.

I recently watched BvsS on tv. I had seen it in the theater, and I was not horrified, but it was too dark for me. I did buy the BluRay but never opened it.

I have to say it was much better the 2nd time. I think they threw so much stuff in at once, that unless you watch it a 2nd time, you miss things, lots of things.

As for Suicide Squad, I saw that on a plane. If I weren't strapped in, I would have left.

The last Avengers movie and the last Captain America movie were the same as the above for me. I LOVED the 1st and 2nd Iron Man and the 1st Avengers movie, and the 1st Captain America movie, but they all got too busy after that, and too disjointed.

The last Avengers movie and the last Captain America movie were the same as the above for me. I LOVED the 1st and 2nd Iron Man and the 1st Avengers movie, and the 1st Captain America movie, but they all got too busy after that, and too disjointed.

Superhero movies are for boys. :sumo: Ultra-cool fight scenes are lost on girls. :slapfight:

The second half of Man of Steel featured the kinds of Superman fights I dreamed of as a kid but never got to see until Man of Steel. :cloud9: Unless you count the Neo vs. Smith fights in Matrix: Revolutions...those were pretty much Superman fights. But the ones in Man of Steel were better.

I recently watched BvsS on tv. I had seen it in the theater, and I was not horrified, but it was too dark for me. I did buy the BluRay but never opened it.

I have to say it was much better the 2nd time. I think they threw so much stuff in at once, that unless you watch it a 2nd time, you miss things, lots of things.

As for Suicide Squad, I saw that on a plane. If I weren't strapped in, I would have left.

I think too many heroes might be the reason. That`s why I always prefer Superman alone in his own Metropolis universe. I was reading those golden age Superman omnibus, and watching

the Superman: The Fleischer Cartoons and George Reeves Superman TV show and Superman just seems to work better when he is alone in his own universe than when he is in team-up or battle of the month club.

It`s is becoming apparent now DC should have went for Man of Steel 2 before BvS.

Really DC has to hit a homerun with JLA both critically and at the box office.

If JLA comes in under 500 million world-wide it would be considered a disaster after Suicide Squad did better than that.

...Batman V Superman is way too cold and cynical to be considered a comic book movie. It had plenty of wonder, but I figured out what it was missing... a sense of humor. Why so serious? ...

Nice one giggle.gif

But I have to say, that's why I liked it. I enjoyed the dark tone to the movie. Then again, I'm just a grumpy old bas.....

The Crow

Batman Returns

The Dark Night

My thing was Synder didn't know how to balance the themes so well in any version of this, like a more gifted filmmaker could and not worry about merchandise and Happy Meals sales.

Which is odd because he remade one of the best horror sequels of all time into his own vision that almost can be considered an equal in some regards.

I'm sure down the road, we will here about the studio pressure and how he caved in to it, denouncing his efforts on it.

That will be quite the "suckerpunch" to fans on here who gave the theatrical cut an 8 out of 10 in a poll a while back.

Two of those dark-toned funnybook movies were made by the master Christopher Nolan.

The guy is a genius, and anybody who tries to copy his style will look second rate.

It kind of reminds me of when Alan Moore and Frank Miller brought their genius style to superhero comic books then we ended getting hundreds of hundreds inferior copycats of their work throughout the 1990`s. I see this happening sort of now with some of the superhero movies with some of these directors trying to copy the Nolan Batman Trilogy style and it`s failing.

Nice one giggle.gif

The Crow

Batman Returns

The Dark Night

Or, they may chalk it up to what they liked you didn't appreciate. So why would that be a 'suckerpunch' - because you don't think like they do?

What is odd are folks that feel like it is crazy someone can appreciate the DCEU movies. That seems to be more the trend here, rather than people saying you can't dislike these movies. For some, these are going to work. For others, not.

Superhero movies are for boys. :sumo: Ultra-cool fight scenes are lost on girls. :slapfight:

The second half of Man of Steel featured the kinds of Superman fights I dreamed of as a kid but never got to see until Man of Steel. :cloud9: Unless you count the Neo vs. Smith fights in Matrix: Revolutions...those were pretty much Superman fights. But the ones in Man of Steel were better.

That was my feeling with this movie. Even though Brandon Routh seemed like a solid successor to Christopher Reeve, 'Superman Returns' ended up being a bar fight between Lex and his minions with Clark. No super-powered baddie where it would have made it so much more interesting. 'Man of Steel' made up for that. Between his fight with Faora, then the fight with Faora and Non, and finally with General Zod - this movie is packed with super-character fights.

That was my feeling with this movie. Even though Brandon Routh seemed like a solid successor to Christopher Reeve, 'Superman Returns' ended up being a bar fight between Lex and his minions with Clark. No super-powered baddie where it would have made it so much more interesting. 'Man of Steel' made up for that. Between his fight with Faora, then the fight with Faora and Non, and finally with General Zod - this movie is packed with super-character fights.

Superman: Returns wasn't as fun as Man of Steel, but it was a better film. Critic reviews agree. Why the studio and fans have been pooping so much on that film starting two years after it was released is beyond me. (shrug) I personally like Man of Steel better and find it far more rewatchable due to the fantastic action sequences, but I enjoyed Returns when I saw it. I assume it's the whole idea of Superman being a deadbeat dad, which doesn't actually apply since he didn't know about the kid.

I still love re-watching the entire crashing plane scene from Returns starting from when it first got into trouble all the way through the standing ovation in the baseball park. Extremely well done. :applause:

Nice one giggle.gif

The Crow

Batman Returns

The Dark Night

Or, they may chalk it up to what they liked you didn't appreciate. So why would that be a 'suckerpunch' - because you don't think like they do?

What is odd are folks that feel like it is crazy someone can appreciate the DCEU movies. That seems to be more the trend here, rather than people saying you can't dislike these movies. For some, these are going to work. For others, not.

I like both movie universes, and apparently the public does as well because BvS and Suicide Squad did big box office numbers and were in the top ten highest grossing movies of the year.They both beat Doctor Strange at the box office which nobody likes to bring up for some reason.

I am trying to figure out why these DC movies keep getting knocked like they do?

I saw BvS,Suicide Squad and Doctor Strange. I like them all equally,but if I go online you would think Doctor Strange is an Oscar winner,and BvS, and Suicide Squad get nominated for razzies.

I don`t get why some people are not liking BvS ,Man of Steel and Suicide Squad like I did.

They like Doctor Strange and Captain America Civil War like I did, but for some reason these same people do a 180 with DC Movies. I like to know why, and I am pretty sure the DC and Warner executives would like to know why?

I think too many heroes might be the reason. That`s why I always prefer Superman alone in his own Metropolis universe. I was reading those golden age Superman omnibus, and watching

the Superman: The Fleischer Cartoons and George Reeves Superman TV show and Superman just seems to work better when he is alone in his own universe than when he is in team-up or battle of the month club.

It`s is becoming apparent now DC should have went for Man of Steel 2 before BvS.

Really DC has to hit a homerun with JLA both critically and at the box office.

If JLA comes in under 500 million world-wide it would be considered a disaster after Suicide Squad did better than that.

Exactly, too many heroes...I mean, did they REALLY need Spidey in the last Captain America? It was distracting.

:makepoint:Where is greggy when I need him....?

and you'd better not be teaching your daughter that, I hope that child has access to some nice non doll toys, lol.

Superman: Returns wasn't as fun as Man of Steel, but it was a better film. Critic reviews agree. Why the studio and fans have been pooping so much on that film starting two years after it was released is beyond me. (shrug) I personally like Man of Steel better and find it far more rewatchable due to the fantastic action sequences, but I enjoyed Returns when I saw it. I assume it's the whole idea of Superman being a deadbeat dad, which doesn't actually apply since he didn't know about the kid.

I still love re-watching the entire crashing plane scene from Returns starting from when it first got into trouble all the way through the standing ovation in the baseball park. Extremely well done. :applause:

The more I watch Superman Returns the more I like it. I think a lot that went wrong with the buzz with Superman Returns was a year earlier Christopher Reeve had died, so it was kind of hard to watch a new Superman without thinking about Christopher Reeve.

Nice one giggle.gif

The Crow

Batman Returns

The Dark Night

Umm...

That doesn't work.

My personal favorite funnybook movie is The Dark Knight, really closely followed by Superman: The Movie & II (Theatrical Cut) and Batman Begins.

I liked The Dark Knight Rises better than The Avengers and Iron Man (which I liked.) Batman, Batman Returns, Supergirl, iZombie are good company efforts too.

The only trend I can see is Warner/DC starting to produce middling movies during this current time frame like they used to (Steel, Batman & Robin, Catwoman.)

I'm just driving at a certain bar has been set with the Nolan and Marvel movies.

Heck, even Marvel went past it with Guardians of the Galaxy.

I'm not going to settle with some over-stuffed blockbuster wannabe.

...I'm hoping Affleck's solo Batman movie is 'da bomb, like Phantoms or all is going to be lost to this moviegoer (and probably many more.)

I'm not interested in any others anymore other than Gadot's WW and that one. :(

I don't think they have the "talent" to pull off team movies yet.

Nice one giggle.gif

The Crow

Batman Returns

The Dark Night

I like both movie universes, and apparently the public does as well because BvS and Suicide Squad did big box office numbers and were in the top ten highest grossing movies of the year.They both beat Doctor Strange at the box office which nobody likes to bring up for some reason.

I am trying to figure out why these DC movies keep getting knocked like they do?

I saw BvS,Suicide Squad and Doctor Strange. I like them all equally,but if I go online you would think Doctor Strange is an Oscar winner,and BvS, and Suicide Squad get nominated for razzies.

I don`t get why some people are not liking BvS ,Man of Steel and Suicide Squad like I did.

They like Doctor Strange and Captain America Civil War like I did, but for some reason these same people do a 180 with DC Movies. I like to know why, and I am pretty sure the DC and Warner executives would like to know why?

I loved, Dr Strange, my husband didn't. I think you had to have an idea of what was going on to appreciate it.

The more I watch Superman Returns the more I like it. I think a lot that went wrong with the buzz with Superman Returns was a year earlier Christopher Reeve had died, so it was kind of hard to watch a new Superman without thinking about Christopher Reeve.

I like to watch it now and then too.

Other than Kate Bosworth and Parker Posey being horrifically miscast, it holds up very well.

I really miss Christopher Reeve in the role too.

He had a presence, no other actor could touch or were too afraid to.

Nice one giggle.gif

The Crow

Batman Returns

The Dark Night

What is odd are folks that feel like it is crazy someone can appreciate the DCEU movies. That seems to be more the trend here, rather than people saying you can't disli

ke these movies. For some, these are going to work. For others, not.

Folks find it crazy that someone goes through this length to stick up fora mediocre film and try to treat this film like it is some kind of masterpiece that deserved Best Picture.

Cool special effects and fight sequences don't make a great film. A film needs a superb plot, fantastic acting, and a music score that drives it everything else else falls beneath this. Man of Steel had a good score off the areas that count. The only other thing Man of Steel had going for it was Snyder's unique cinematography style that is always pleasing to see in the big screen, but that does not make this a good film. The Toxic Avenger is a masterpiece compared to this film

Nice one giggle.gif

The Crow

Batman Returns

The Dark Night

I loved, Dr Strange, my husband didn't. I think you had to have an idea of what was going on to appreciate it.

Ah Dr Strange suffers from a lot of stuff. The two biggest the story advances too fast with him becoming too powerful so soon and a terrible looking Dormomu. Other issues that stood out they had fantastic actors they did not bring best out of and if the Capr of Levitation steals the show there is something wrong.

Nice one giggle.gif

The Crow

Batman Returns

The Dark Night

What is odd are folks that feel like it is crazy someone can appreciate the DCEU movies. That seems to be more the trend here, rather than people saying you can't disli

Folks find it crazy that someone goes through this length to stick up fora mediocre film and try to treat this film like it is some kind of masterpiece that deserved Best Picture.

Cool special effects and fight sequences don't make a great film. A film needs a superb plot, fantastic acting, and a music score that drives it everything else else falls beneath this. Man of Steel had a good score off the areas that count. The only other thing Man of Steel had going for it was Snyder's unique cinematography style that is always pleasing to see in the big screen, but that does not make this a good film. The Toxic Avenger is a masterpiece compared to this film

Speaking of Toxic Avenger it`s on my Amazon Prime on demand for free. Should I watch it? I never seen any of these Toxic Avenger movies. Someone told me I should at least watch the first two? hm

Civil War unlike other comic films felt like a chore to watch. I think that is the film when I look back I can say I reached my burnout point with comic films. Every comic film I saw after that just seemed like . B VS S didn't give me this feeling at all. I really think the average American is now at their burnout point with these films and Disney is smart enough to know this to get out by 2020 unlike Warner

Nice one giggle.gif

The Crow

Batman Returns

The Dark Night

Speaking of Toxic Avenger it`s on my Amazon Prime on demand for free. Should I watch it? I never seen any of these Toxic Avenger movies. Someone told me I should at least watch the first two? hm

watch Toxic Avenger, Citizen Toxie: Toxic Avenger IV the middle two are terrible when they were under a big corporate umbrella essentially making adult films marketed towards kids