• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MAN OF STEEL appreciation thread
2 2

398 posts in this topic

I'm a mindless zombie because I don't dislike a movie like you? That's a pretty close-minded statement. If someone doesn't like the movie, that is their choice and taste. And if someone enjoyed it, that is their choice and taste.

You really believe if others don't dislike movies like you, they must be mindless zombies?

Nope, but there are some films that you can use as a measuring stick as to whether or not you would want to take movie advice from that person. Man of Steel is a film that I can appreciate some elements, but to say the film is good or you really enjoyed says a person's standards is low. I would not want to get advice on the next film to see if you liked Man of Steel. Man of Steel is a perfect example of a film made by Hollywood in which they just did not care because you were going to go see it no matter what like a mindless zombie.

If you want to support Hollywood to continue making bad films than do so. Otherwise show your support towards a film that is great, but may not have gotten the love the film deserved because it was an independent or foreign film.

Nope, but there are some films that you can use as a measuring stick as to whether or not you would want to take movie advice from that person. Man of Steel is a film that I can appreciate some elements, but to say the film is good or you really enjoyed says a person's standards is low. I would not want to get advice on the next film to see if you liked Man of Steel. Man of Steel is a perfect example of a film made by Hollywood in which they just did not care because you were going to go see it no matter what like a mindless zombie.

If you want to support Hollywood to continue making bad films than do so. Otherwise show your support towards a film that is great, but may not have gotten the love the film deserved because it was an independent or foreign film.

Interesting stance. There was another board member who was a critic that saw things the very same way (dgarthwaite). Unless you met his movie high standards, then your standards were questionable.

There are quite a few folks that appreciated this film more than you did. And that's okay either way.

RawStsc.png

Interesting stance. There was another board member who was a critic that saw things the very same way (dgarthwaite). Unless you met his movie high standards, then your standards were questionable.

There are quite a few folks that appreciated this film more than you did. And that's okay either way.

RawStsc.png

HaHaHa a poll done on a comic book forum. You are getting the opinions of people who love comics on a comic film of course the numbers are skewed in your favor. That is like asking fans of Metallica to rate their new album. The point here is you are getting mad at anybody who comes in this thread and gives legitimate reasons why this film is not good in many ways, with your only excuse being this is an appreciation thread or there are a lot of people who disagree with you. Man of Steel is a film that gets worse with each DC Universe film that comes out that is bad tarnishing this film even more. The only redeeming things about this film are Snyder's unique cinematography and the music score.

HaHaHa a poll done on a comic book forum. You are getting the opinions of people who love comics on a comic film of course the numbers are skewed in your favor. That is like asking fans of Metallica to rate their new album. The point here is you are getting mad at anybody who comes in this thread and gives legitimate reasons why this film is not good in many ways, with your only excuse being this is an appreciation thread or there are a lot of people who disagree with you. Man of Steel is a film that gets worse with each DC Universe film that comes out that is bad tarnishing this film even more. The only redeeming things about this film are Snyder's unique cinematography and the music score.

Getting mad? No.

But when you see people repeatedly post the same counter statements whenever positive comments are noted about DCEU or even CW DC productions, it comes across as a pattern. It's like a sport for folks that if anything comes up about modern DC productions, the default can come across like they are meant to be bashed. And I am far from the only person that has noted this. I'm just one of the few that will come back on those statements. And again - I am not alone on that.

So you shouldn't get bothered that people see the pleasing parts of these DCEU productions. There are going to be more than a few that like what they are seeing. Just like there are those that will flock to any Marvel production - even if mediocre or good enough, but not great.

RawStsc.png

Just because I don't want to read 17 pages of argument - why is Man of Steel so bad (i.e., what specific issues does the movie have that make it so terrible (and by specific I am hoping we can get actual criticisms as opposed to broad sweeping generalities))?

My main issue with it was the Johnathan Kent death scene was stupid and unrealistic. But that doesn't ruin the movie for me - just my main gripe.

Indeed - the only thing fundamentally wrong with MOS is that Johnathan Kent death scene; everything else is people just being disappointed because it wasn't the second coming of Superman the Movie - for which I was eternally grateful.

...everything else is people just being disappointed because it wasn't the second coming of Superman the Movie - for which I was eternally grateful.

Bryan Singer's homage to that film was extremely soporific.

...everything else is people just being disappointed because it wasn't the second coming of Superman the Movie - for which I was eternally grateful.

No kidding, with a complete miscast across the board and only one really decent set piece (the airline scene at the start).

The film is a forgettable snooze fest.

No kidding, with a complete miscast across the board and only one really decent set piece (the airline scene at the start).

But...but...he had the outside undies.

cvgJtIt.png

I liked Parker Posey in the movie and Cyclops

Edited by Revat

Getting mad? No.

But when you see people repeatedly post the same counter statements whenever positive comments are noted about DCEU or even CW DC productions, it comes across as a pattern. It's like a sport for folks that if anything comes up about modern DC productions, the default can come across like they are meant to be bashed. And I am far from the only person that has noted this. I'm just one of the few that will come back on those statements. And again - I am not alone on that.

So you shouldn't get bothered that people see the pleasing parts of these DCEU productions. There are going to be more than a few that like what they are seeing. Just like there are those that will flock to any Marvel production - even if mediocre or good enough, but not great.

I absolutely LOVED the movie. :)

I thought Man of Steel was a great movie too. I agree with Comicopolis that the Jonathan Kent death scene was the one real low point of the movie. I also think the "alien invasion" element was shoehorned in because it was popular at the time. However, all in all, a very entertaining, modern Superman movie.

I enjoyed both Man of Steel and the Batman vs Superman : Dawn of Justice Ultimate Edition, even though it seems that many around here will classify me as lacking any taste whatsoever for admitting this.

I enjoyed both Man of Steel and the Batman vs Superman : Dawn of Justice Ultimate Edition, even though it seems that many around here will classify me as lacking any taste whatsoever for admitting this.

I think you have great taste Ken. I enjoyed both films too. They had a great mood and BvS had one of the greatest, most moving soundtracks of any superhero film I've seen. In fact, I thought BvS had an epic feel to it and was very cleverly plotted. Imagine how difficult it must be to create a believable real world setting in which both Superman and Batman exist, let alone go up against each other. If I had made that film I would be so proud and would be expecting both critical and fan praise. The response baffled me and, I bet, it baffled all who were involved in its making. Unfortunately in life you sometimes just have to accept that you know that what you have done is brilliant......

I think you have great taste Ken. I enjoyed both films too. They had a great mood and BvS had one of the greatest, most moving soundtracks of any superhero film I've seen. In fact, I thought BvS had an epic feel to it and was very cleverly plotted. Imagine how difficult it must be to create a believable real world setting in which both Superman and Batman exist, let alone go up against each other. If I had made that film I would be so proud and would be expecting both critical and fan praise. The response baffled me and, I bet, it baffled all who were involved in its making. Unfortunately in life you sometimes just have to accept that you know that what you have done is brilliant......

+1

It would appear there are more than a few that truly appreciate this movie, even with its shortcomings.

:cloud9:

Pa Kent should have been handled differently. But the Kryptonian invasion made for a very interesting tie-in between this movie and BvS: The Ultimate Cut. And a humongous challenge for Superman in tackling the World Engine to save Earth.

:whee:

It would appear there are more than a few that truly appreciate this movie, even with its shortcomings.

:cloud9:

Pa Kent should have been handled differently. But the Kryptonian invasion made for a very interesting tie-in between this movie and BvS: The Ultimate Cut. And a humongous challenge for Superman in tackling the World Engine to save Earth.

:whee:

I think I'm the only one who found the Pa Kent death scene quite moving. What I felt was that Jonathan knew that if Clark saved him - which I accept he could have done so in a blink - that he would likely have then tried to save others and, in doing so, reveal his powers. It was more important to Pa that his son's anonymity was preserved. I was touched by Costner's acting - when he raised his hand and shook his head it brought a lump to my throat. I did like it and thought it fit in with the overall mood of the film.