• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MAN OF STEEL appreciation thread
2 2

398 posts in this topic

...Batman V Superman is way too cold and cynical to be considered a comic book movie. It had plenty of wonder, but I figured out what it was missing... a sense of humor. Why so serious? ...

Nice one giggle.gif

But I have to say, that's why I liked it. I enjoyed the dark tone to the movie. Then again, I'm just a grumpy old bas.....

I like dark-toned funnybook movies mind you.

The Crow

Batman Returns

The Dark Night

My thing was Synder didn't know how to balance the themes so well in any version of this, like a more gifted filmmaker could and not worry about merchandise and Happy Meals sales.

Which is odd because he remade one of the best horror sequels of all time into his own vision that almost can be considered an equal in some regards.

I'm sure down the road, we will here about the studio pressure and how he caved in to it, denouncing his efforts on it.

That will be quite the "suckerpunch" to fans on here who gave the theatrical cut an 8 out of 10 in a poll a while back.

Or, they may chalk it up to what they liked you didn't appreciate. So why would that be a 'suckerpunch' - because you don't think like they do?

What is odd are folks that feel like it is crazy someone can appreciate the DCEU movies. That seems to be more the trend here, rather than people saying you can't dislike these movies. For some, these are going to work. For others, not.

Umm...

That doesn't work.

My personal favorite funnybook movie is The Dark Knight, really closely followed by Superman: The Movie & II (Theatrical Cut) and Batman Begins.

I liked The Dark Knight Rises better than The Avengers and Iron Man (which I liked.) Batman, Batman Returns, Supergirl, iZombie are good company efforts too.

The only trend I can see is Warner/DC starting to produce middling movies during this current time frame like they used to (Steel, Batman & Robin, Catwoman.)

I'm just driving at a certain bar has been set with the Nolan and Marvel movies.

Heck, even Marvel went past it with Guardians of the Galaxy.

I'm not going to settle with some over-stuffed blockbuster wannabe.

...I'm hoping Affleck's solo Batman movie is 'da bomb, like Phantoms or all is going to be lost to this moviegoer (and probably many more.)

I'm not interested in any others anymore other than Gadot's WW and that one. :(

I don't think they have the "talent" to pull off team movies yet.

Ummm...

What doesn't work? That other people may like Man of Steel, and you didn't like it? Ummm... I think that is what your points have been attempting to note - you saw it one time, and never wanted to see it again because it was too dark.

Ummm...maybe next time take a moment to read before attempting to post a smart-aleck comment.

...Batman V Superman is way too cold and cynical to be considered a comic book movie. It had plenty of wonder, but I figured out what it was missing... a sense of humor. Why so serious? ...

Nice one giggle.gif

But I have to say, that's why I liked it. I enjoyed the dark tone to the movie. Then again, I'm just a grumpy old bas.....

The Crow

Batman Returns

The Dark Night

My thing was Synder didn't know how to balance the themes so well in any version of this, like a more gifted filmmaker could and not worry about merchandise and Happy Meals sales.

Which is odd because he remade one of the best horror sequels of all time into his own vision that almost can be considered an equal in some regards.

I'm sure down the road, we will here about the studio pressure and how he caved in to it, denouncing his efforts on it.

That will be quite the "suckerpunch" to fans on here who gave the theatrical cut an 8 out of 10 in a poll a while back.

Or, they may chalk it up to what they liked you didn't appreciate. So why would that be a 'suckerpunch' - because you don't think like they do?

What is odd are folks that feel like it is crazy someone can appreciate the DCEU movies. That seems to be more the trend here, rather than people saying you can't disli

ke these movies. For some, these are going to work. For others, not.

Folks find it crazy that someone goes through this length to stick up fora mediocre film and try to treat this film like it is some kind of masterpiece that deserved Best Picture.

Cool special effects and fight sequences don't make a great film. A film needs a superb plot, fantastic acting, and a music score that drives it everything else else falls beneath this. Man of Steel had a good score off the areas that count. The only other thing Man of Steel had going for it was Snyder's unique cinematography style that is always pleasing to see in the big screen, but that does not make this a good film. The Toxic Avenger is a masterpiece compared to this film

Speaking of Toxic Avenger it`s on my Amazon Prime on demand for free. Should I watch it? I never seen any of these Toxic Avenger movies. Someone told me I should at least watch the first two? hm

watch Toxic Avenger, Citizen Toxie: Toxic Avenger IV the middle two are terrible when they were under a big corporate umbrella essentially making adult films marketed towards kids

Thanks I will check them out over the weekend.

Nice one giggle.gif

The Crow

Batman Returns

The Dark Night

What is odd are folks that feel like it is crazy someone can appreciate the DCEU movies. That seems to be more the trend here, rather than people saying you can't disli

Folks find it crazy that someone goes through this length to stick up fora mediocre film and try to treat this film like it is some kind of masterpiece that deserved Best Picture.

Cool special effects and fight sequences don't make a great film. A film needs a superb plot, fantastic acting, and a music score that drives it everything else else falls beneath this. Man of Steel had a good score off the areas that count. The only other thing Man of Steel had going for it was Snyder's unique cinematography style that is always pleasing to see in the big screen, but that does not make this a good film. The Toxic Avenger is a masterpiece compared to this film

So Heaven forbid if someone started an appreciation thread for a movie they - and others from the many posts - enjoyed. You are going to make them realize the errors in their thinking by posting otherwise in that appreciation thread?

Sorry. I didn't think that was your approach. So if I misread that, then maybe clarify.

I recently watched BvsS on tv. I had seen it in the theater, and I was not horrified, but it was too dark for me. I did buy the BluRay but never opened it.

I have to say it was much better the 2nd time. I think they threw so much stuff in at once, that unless you watch it a 2nd time, you miss things, lots of things.

As for Suicide Squad, I saw that on a plane. If I weren't strapped in, I would have left.

The last Avengers movie and the last Captain America movie were the same as the above for me. I LOVED the 1st and 2nd Iron Man and the 1st Avengers movie, and the 1st Captain America movie, but they all got too busy after that, and too disjointed.

I think too many heroes might be the reason. That`s why I always prefer Superman alone in his own Metropolis universe. I was reading those golden age Superman omnibus, and watching

the Superman: The Fleischer Cartoons and George Reeves Superman TV show and Superman just seems to work better when he is alone in his own universe than when he is in team-up or battle of the month club.

It`s is becoming apparent now DC should have went for Man of Steel 2 before BvS.

Really DC has to hit a homerun with JLA both critically and at the box office.

If JLA comes in under 500 million world-wide it would be considered a disaster after Suicide Squad did better than that.

Exactly, too many heroes...I mean, did they REALLY need Spidey in the last Captain America? It was distracting.

That whole sequence was out of place in the movie. Dark, dark, light fluffy airport fight, dark, dark. It was like a second movie was thrown into the middle of this other movie.

The last Avengers movie and the last Captain America movie were the same as the above for me. I LOVED the 1st and 2nd Iron Man and the 1st Avengers movie, and the 1st Captain America movie, but they all got too busy after that, and too disjointed.

Superhero movies are for boys. :sumo: Ultra-cool fight scenes are lost on girls. :slapfight:

:makepoint:Where is greggy when I need him....?

and you'd better not be teaching your daughter that, I hope that child has access to some nice non doll toys, lol.

She's got a twin brother, so she'll be exposed to all the boy's stuff and fraternal bullying she can handle. :ohnoez:

Nice one giggle.gif

The Crow

Batman Returns

The Dark Night

What is odd are folks that feel like it is crazy someone can appreciate the DCEU movies. That seems to be more the trend here, rather than people saying you can't dislike these movies. For some, these are going to work. For others, not.

Umm...

That doesn't work.

My personal favorite funnybook movie is The Dark Knight, really closely followed by Superman: The Movie & II (Theatrical Cut) and Batman Begins.

I liked The Dark Knight Rises better than The Avengers and Iron Man (which I liked.) Batman, Batman Returns, Supergirl, iZombie are good company efforts too.

The only trend I can see is Warner/DC starting to produce middling movies during this current time frame like they used to (Steel, Batman & Robin, Catwoman.)

I'm just driving at a certain bar has been set with the Nolan and Marvel movies.

...I'm hoping Affleck's solo Batman movie is 'da bomb, like Phantoms or all is going to be lost to this moviegoer (and probably many more.)

Same. I'm a Marvel guy, but my top three superhero films are Dark Knight, Spider-Man 2, and Batman Begins. DC just hasn't figured it out outside of Nolan. And I'm hoping for the exact opposite and for Geoff Johns to right the ship. :wishluck:

Exactly, too many heroes...I mean, did they REALLY need Spidey in the last Captain America? It was distracting.

That whole sequence was out of place in the movie. Dark, dark, light fluffy airport fight, dark, dark. It was like a second movie was thrown into the middle of this other movie.

When did you two become allergic to fun? :eek:

That airport scene in Civil War - which was great - was thrown in for the fanboys.

Just like the utter, utter mess that was Doomsday in BvS.

Giant Man swinging an airplane wing and kicking a bus at opponents are not scenes I thought I would experience. Although personally I didn't feel it was the greatest superhero movie ever filmed, there were plenty of fun scenes throughout.

Batman v Superman cramming together Injustice: Gods Among Us, Death In the Family, Death of Superman and Dark Knight Returns was a lot for the average viewer to take in and enjoy. But when you see the Ultimate Cut, it sure helps.

What was up with the two guys kissing though when Clark climbs on the ferry to Gotham? Was that hinting at The Ray - Ray Terrill (1:05)? Or just two guys kissing?

ray-art-95752.jpg

There is so much hidden throughout the movie, it's hard to tell sometimes. Even the underground MMA scene with the KGBeast where Bruce leans in to whisper a suggestion to the fighter - which leads to him winning - later was hinted this is Luke Fox (Batwing). And now we know even the smallest odd scene was done purposely.

Zack Snyder Confirms Obscure Batman V Superman Easter Egg

2jKBJVQ.png

That airport scene in Civil War - which was great - was thrown in for the fanboys.

Doomsday was a necessity considering the alternative...

jesse_eisenberg_lex_luthor_armor_suit_by_bryanzap-d96zpn7.png

Nice one giggle.gif

The Crow

Batman Returns

The Dark Night

Umm...

That doesn't work.

Ummm...

What doesn't work? That other people may like Man of Steel, and you didn't like it? Ummm... I think that is what your points have been attempting to note - you saw it one time, and never wanted to see it again because it was too dark.

Ummm...maybe next time take a moment to read before attempting to post a smart-aleck comment.

:o

I was dissed and dismissed.

Or do you say, I got served. hm

Yeah, I regretted putting that "Ummm..." in right after I left this morning.

So I apologize.

Nice one giggle.gif

The Crow

Batman Returns

The Dark Night

Speaking of Toxic Avenger it`s on my Amazon Prime on demand for free. Should I watch it? I never seen any of these Toxic Avenger movies. Someone told me I should at least watch the first two? hm

watch Toxic Avenger, Citizen Toxie: Toxic Avenger IV the middle two are terrible when they were under a big corporate umbrella essentially making adult films marketed towards kids

Thanks I will check them out over the weekend.

I concur it was a very entertaining for what it was.

Nice one giggle.gif

The Crow

Batman Returns

The Dark Night

That doesn't work.

Same. I'm a Marvel guy, but my top three superhero films are Dark Knight, Spider-Man 2, and Batman Begins. DC just hasn't figured it out outside of Nolan. And I'm hoping for the exact opposite and for Geoff Johns to right the ship. :wishluck:

I forgot about how great Spidey 2 was. (worship)

Nice one giggle.gif

The Crow

Batman Returns

The Dark Night

Umm...

That doesn't work.

Ummm...

:o

I was dissed and dismissed.

Or do you say, I got served. hm

Yeah, I regretted putting that "Ummm..." in right after I left this morning.

So I apologize.

Thanks!

:foryou:

Edited by Bosco685

Doomsday was a necessity considering the alternative...

jesse_eisenberg_lex_luthor_armor_suit_by_bryanzap-d96zpn7.png

You take Doomsday & Luthor out of the movie and it improves by 75%.

Nice one giggle.gif

The Crow

Batman Returns

The Dark Night

So Heaven forbid if someone started an appreciation thread for a movie they - and others from the many posts - enjoyed. You are going to make them realize the errors in their thinking by posting otherwise in that appreciation thread?

Sorry. I didn't think that was your approach. So if I misread that, then maybe clarify.

Appreciation of a film falls on different levels. I'm showing how much I appreciated the film by letting people know how bad this film is and that there is more to film then flashy sequences and action. If a person gives the movie a 1/10 in this thread then they have shown their appreciation of the film. Appreciation is not always positive your showing it her by attacking me. If I was to rate Man of Steel it would be around a 5.5 right around to where the metacritic rating is. There are too many flaws holding this film back to jumping up and down like you are to act like this is some type of masterpiece. There are too many good films going by unnoticed that deserve more credit than this steamy pile of dog . As long as we continue to treat these films like they are the only ones that come out in the theater then we will continue to get movies for mindless zombies in which if I read you right you are now

Nice one giggle.gif

The Crow

Batman Returns

The Dark Night

Appreciation of a film falls on different levels. I'm showing how much I appreciated the film by letting people know how bad this film is and that there is more to film then flashy sequences and action. If a person gives the movie a 1/10 in this thread then they have shown their appreciation of the film. Appreciation is not always positive your showing it her by attacking me. If I was to rate Man of Steel it would be around a 5.5 right around to where the metacritic rating is. There are too many flaws holding this film back to jumping up and down like you are to act like this is some type of masterpiece. There are too many good films going by unnoticed that deserve more credit than this steamy pile of dog . As long as we continue to treat these films like they are the only ones that come out in the theater then we will continue to get movies for mindless zombies in which if I read you right you are now

I'm a mindless zombie because I don't dislike a movie like you? That's a pretty close-minded statement. If someone doesn't like the movie, that is their choice and taste. And if someone enjoyed it, that is their choice and taste.

You really believe if others don't dislike movies like you, they must be mindless zombies?