• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I usually admired his artworks but....

133 posts in this topic

Last Friday, I was at C2E2 and had Neal Adams signing my two books. I didn't see the sign for his signature price. His wife asked for $30 per signature.

Stunned by his increased prices! Neal Adams or his wife didn't even thank me. Last year, his signature fee was $20. Two or three years ago, it was only $10.

Neal Adams was friendly five years ago and he is not at this time. I don't know why I was annoyed by that. I have plenty copies for him but I can't keep up with his hefty price anymore. Two signed copies. That is it for me.

All blank variant copies were drawn. $3000 for the half figure. $5000 for the 3/4 figures. All different superheroes. I was shocked at his outrageous prices.

I understood Frank Miller is ailment and is probably facing the hefty medical cost. He has increased his price to pay his bills but Neal Adams isn't.

What is your thought?

He was in Grand Rapids last fall and I had a similar experience (although I don't think the price was quite as high as you experienced). My Adam's books went home unsigned, and I honestly haven't thought about it until your thread. Not my place to judge...I'm content with simply walking by and going to the next table. I have a much more nostalgic relationship with my wallet than I do with Mr. Adams.

What is your thought?

[font:Book Antiqua]EBay is your friend.

Eventually most CGC SS books end there,

no lines, no waiting for CGC to return the book, no expensive fees,

you know the grade, the signature placement;

most times its cheaper to buy books there that do the same books yourself...

[/font]

2c

I walked by him on my way to see Jeremy Bastian last year at a con. It was right at the start of the show, and no one had lined up for him yet. He asked me where I was going. I told him and he had some choice words for me for passing him by. I'll NEVER give him my commerce.

Dan

How many of you would do a job for someone for $15 an hour when someone else is willing to pay you $30. Neal is a pretty good businessman and I'm sure he knows he will make as much money, but for less work with his price structure. Its the American Way.

He charges what he think s the market will bear.

I walked by him on my way to see Jeremy Bastian last year at a con. It was right at the start of the show, and no one had lined up for him yet. He asked me where I was going. I told him and he had some choice words for me for passing him by. I'll NEVER give him my commerce.

Dan

I love his work, but I dislike hearing things like this. So let me get this straight - he berated you simply because you wanted to see Jeremy Bastian instead of him?

Last Friday, I was at C2E2 and had Neal Adams signing my two books. I didn't see the sign for his signature price. His wife asked for $30 per signature.

Stunned by his increased prices! Neal Adams or his wife didn't even thank me. Last year, his signature fee was $20. Two or three years ago, it was only $10.

Neal Adams was friendly five years ago and he is not at this time. I don't know why I was annoyed by that. I have plenty copies for him but I can't keep up with his hefty price anymore. Two signed copies. That is it for me.

Maybe he was having a bad day. Does his wife often accompany him? That might have had an affect on his mood :whistle:

I ask because I don't attend shows much and he was alone at Sacramento Wizard World last year. At least not while I spoke with him for 15 minutes or so.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong but didn't he want $50 for a signature at Big Apple Comic Con? I smiled and walked on. I got my Adams signature on a Bats 227 a few years ago and he asked $10 for the signature.

His prices keep me from even approaching his table.

yeah utter success and honors in your field and admiration from millions will jade some people.

I've never understood why.

He was signing for $2 per comic at the Con I was at 3 years ago. He drew a profile of Batman for me on a 11x17 print I had. His charge was $75, but I thought it was pretty fair for a nice piece of original artwork. It was a dream come true for me! We chatted for awhile and he was patient and joked around too. If he's got a bad side I haven't seen it yet, although I wouldn't be shocked. In many articles/videos I've seen of him he can certainly be a bit arrogant. He's earned his place in the comic world, but still ...

Why the sudden increase in prices for sigs? I think he's seeing people making a killing off his sigs and he just wants his fair share. For example. You know all those Neal Adams covers variants that have come out in the past few weeks ... and still for sale for about $2.99-3.99? We'll you can already see the CGG SS of them on eBay for between $300 to $600!!! Wow. I'm stunned at what I'm seeing in the comic industry now that I've come back to it after more than a couple of decades. It's all about the $, and nothing else. Kinda makes me sad.

So who's the greedy one here? I think Neal is seeing this and figures he's due a bigger piece of the pie - and I agree. As always, market greed/speculation drives up the prices for the rest of us :(

Love his art but I'll never waste another minute talking with him. Much like Sean Penn, I dig most of his movies growing up and think he's a great actor today but can't stand watching ten seconds of him in a personal interview.

Excellent comparison.

Between people on this forum, fellow collectors in my area, vendors at other cons, and a couple local shop owners, I have literally never heard of someone having a friendly encounter with Neal Adams in the last few years.

He sounds like a very jaded man.

I had a very positive experience meeting him just over s year ago. Neal was one creator I looked forward to meeting for a very long time and he was as pleasant as can be. He took the time to talk with me and entertain every question I wanted to ask him about certain characters and story lines. As excited as I was he came off as passionate as I was to be answering the questions I was asking.

I know many others have said he's often unpleasant so I do feel lucky to have had such a great experience. In regards to what he charges, that's his right and it doesn't phase me one bit. If some noob creator with five years experience in the hobby charges $10 then Neal is more than justified IMO to charge more.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong but didn't he want $50 for a signature at Big Apple Comic Con? I smiled and walked on. I got my Adams signature on a Bats 227 a few years ago and he asked $10 for the signature.

His prices keep me from even approaching his table.

Wow! Just wow. Sadly, I used to see the long lines for Neal Adams few years. Every year, the line shrinks. I guessed he asked for it.