• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BA #12 on Comic Book Men

40 posts in this topic

On the latest episode of Comic Book Men a guy brings in a Batman Adventures #12. He wants to buy an exotic cat for his significant other and asks $1,000 for the book.

The book looks nice but the camera shows numerous times a lot of spine tics on the book. It appears to me to be VF at best.

Walt eventually goes up to $700 and the dude refuses to budge and leaves with the book. I couldn't believe the dude didn't take the cash.

I wish I could get $700 for my graded 8.5. (shrug)

This seems to be a constant issue across the hobby altogether...either people are deleted into thinking their comic is worth more than it is or they are constantly looking for a sucker.

I visited a comic shop recently while on vacation that had a Hulk #271 for sell at $125 but given the condition, I wouldn't have valued it higher than $90 (given comparable condition values off eBay).

The guy who owns the store, I would assume, knows comics and knows how to price them to maximize profit. Plus he is fully capable of pulling up eBay or Google or any other website to accurately guess its value. So why price it so high?

This guy with the BA #12 is fully capable of checking the value of that issue in its current condition. If Walt offered $700, that would be a stupid offer since there is no way Walt will make that money back. He'd be extremely lucky to break even at that price.

Dude was a shill. A plant.

The show is all scripted anyway. Someone on the show must have a BA12 they're going to sell soon and are using the show to drive up nationwide expectations of value - now everyone who watches CBM won't be surprised when they see the $700 pricetag for a raw VF BA12. They'll think "Yep, even Walt on CBM was willing to pay that much for that, so it's GOTTA be worth even more!"

It's a con.

It seems to all be more or less fake. Without giving any details, I have a friend who was involved with an episode and the interactions are planned in advance, rehearsed and coordinated to make it the most entertaining it can be.

And that's what it's supposed to be - entertainment! But I really would not recommend taking anything on that show too seriously.

Almost all shows like this are scripted and this one doesn't even really try to hide it. I think I gave up when I figured out every episode has a third act that has them doing something inane or something related to nostalgia of their age (see: old) that doesn't interest me. I just don't care about monsters, Megos, or Roy Rogers but I accept maybe some are, and here's a show for them, and I don't have a Kevin Smith beef that some seem to, some of the things he does is interesting.

I think Hollywood Treasures and Toy Hunter are much more interesting.

Almost all shows like this are scripted and this one doesn't even really try to hide it. I think I gave up when I figured out every episode has a third act that has them doing something inane or something related to nostalgia of their age (see: old) that doesn't interest me. I just don't care about monsters, Megos, or Roy Rogers but I accept maybe some are, and here's a show for them, and I don't have a Kevin Smith beef that some seem to, some of the things he does is interesting.

I think Hollywood Treasures and Toy Hunter are much more interesting.

Toy Hunter is a much better show (although some of the prices seem high). I wish there was a show for comic books more like Toy Hunter or American Pickers.

Side note and maybe it's just me. But I would think that her first appearance in continuity would be more valuable. The Batman Adventures was based on the cartoon so it's odd that that's the book of value.

Walt eventually goes up to $700 and the dude refuses to budge and leaves with the book. I couldn't believe the dude didn't take the cash.

Bring them your raggedy BA 12 today and there is a 0% chance Walt will offer you anywhere close to $700. It was beyond obviously staged.

Bring them your raggedly BA 12 today and there is a 0% chance Walt will offer you anywhere close to $700. It was beyond obviously staged.

Yep, what person would sell his Batman Adventures 12 to buy an exotic cat??? :screwy:

C'mon peeps it's entertainment. At worst the show must be bringing new people into the hobby we love.

I'm not like super bully on this, I do think the show is harmless for the most part, but it could do EXACTLY what you say it might be doing while also not propping up absolutely unrealistic prices.

I seem to recall a sketch they got that they treated like it was monetarily priceless, which is kind of silly in a hobby where almost nothing is priceless or remotely near it. I think it was a Batman sketch, and maybe I'm way off base so someone can tell me, were we talking 6 figure piece?

Bring them your raggedly BA 12 today and there is a 0% chance Walt will offer you anywhere close to $700. It was beyond obviously staged.

Yep, what person would sell his Batman Adventures 12 to buy an exotic cat??? :screwy:

This makes us looking smarter.

Side note and maybe it's just me. But I would think that her first appearance in continuity would be more valuable. The Batman Adventures was based on the cartoon so it's odd that that's the book of value.

There was a time that the first appearance in continuity was a strong case for value, but I'd say that the constant reboots of even the longest-standing characters makes almost every first appearance book "out of continuity" in some way or another. Even Action #1 wasn't about a man who could fly. He could jump.

Eventually, you have to downgrade continuity (which keeps changing) and just ask what is the first appearance of a recognizable character in a story.