• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel comics for 8-9 year old

20 posts in this topic

I need a good suggestion to introduce my nephew to comics, preferable something Marvel. My first idea was Ultimate Spider-man (Bendis 2000), but as much as I personally loved the whole series, I'm not entirely sure if it's age appropriate. I'm nto sure if 8, going on 9, is the right age to expose a kid to the themes like the death of loved ones and highschool girlfriend relationships or not. That said I can't think of anything else that would be more age appropriate.

Thoughts?

Insane Norman Osborn and head squishing Kingpin are about the worst of it.

I can't judge, I love the series and have already given the Venom TPB to my niece with a 6 year old who was a fanatic for the character he called 'black goo'

:cool:

I'd recommend the Essential line of Marvel reprints. You get hundreds upon hundreds of pages of classic stories, in black and white, and you can usually pick them up for $15 or less new and even less for nice used copies. A big chunk of classic Amazing Spider-man is hard to beat!

marvel tales 137 starts a reprint run @amazing fantasy 15 and prints spidey #1 and up for some time. They are color comic books and should be able to pick them up on ebay in the nm range for very little $$$. Early spideys + a 9 year old= can't go wrong (thumbs u

Actually of course AF15 does touch on the theme of death with uncle ben but I still think its handled in such a way and spidey' heroic response to it makes it age apprppriate for a 9 year old.

I've been reading the 60s X-men to my 5-year-old daughter on my Ipad through Marvel Unlimited. I've never read them before so it has been kinda fun. She is a big fan.

They've got pretty much all of the 60s Marvels on Marvel Unlimited.

Looking at older Spider-Man material, if I remember correctly, Spectacular Spider-Man was originally launched as a book featuring stories which Marvel intended to be read by kids. I don't know at what issue it transitioned into a regular title, though.

I need a good suggestion to introduce my nephew to comics, preferable something Marvel. My first idea was Ultimate Spider-man (Bendis 2000), but as much as I personally loved the whole series, I'm not entirely sure if it's age appropriate. I'm nto sure if 8, going on 9, is the right age to expose a kid to the themes like the death of loved ones and highschool girlfriend relationships or not. That said I can't think of anything else that would be more age appropriate.

Thoughts?

Avoid the modern and look for Silver age through copper age

Thoughts?

Well, I was nine when I started reading Marvels and I believe it’s not a matter of which themes you incorporate in the narration, rather on the writer.

For the aforementioned reason, I would not choose Bendis, some ASMs in the #160-200 range are just great: dramatic storylines, but well told and thus suitable for everyone, especially kids. :)

A few people beat me to it, but why not the Masterworks of the classics? ASM and FF?

Those were aimed at kids, so they are on the lighter side. I became a comic nerd from reading SA FF reprints.

Any of the Marvel Universe titles are appropriate for that age level: Avengers Assemble

6e9b8006-b721-47f1-bbeb-551cc5e1c64c.jpg

+1 Avengers Assemble

Because there is also the cartoon

Bitterly ironic that in time Marvel has had to produce comics "aimed at kids", while Marvel comics have always been for everyone.