• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
33 33

4,171 posts in this topic

I won an auction tonight for a nice little run of later issues of Tomb of Dracula, but now it is as if the auction never happened? I didn't even get an email from ebay saying I had won and the usual yadda yadda. Is this possible? Can a seller, if possibly unhappy with the hammer price, somehow cancel/delete an auction AFTER it has ended and someone has won it? I didn't think this was possible.

There were at least two other lots as well that I didn't bid on but are now no longer showing up in the seller's sold history. what gives  :sumo:

Edited by speedcake

17 minutes ago, speedcake said:

I won an auction tonight for a nice little run of later issues of Tomb of Dracula, but now it is as if the auction never happened? I didn't even get an email from ebay saying I had won and the usual yadda yadda. Is this possible? Can a seller, if possibly unhappy with the hammer price, somehow cancel/delete an auction AFTER it has ended and someone has won it? I didn't think this was possible.

There were at least two other lots as well that I didn't bid on but are now no longer showing up in the seller's sold history. what gives  :sumo:

Yes, It's possible. that's why if you get a deal it's important to pay right away.. Recently I purchased a bargain but the seller (who I bought from before) canceled because the price was too low

2 minutes ago, littledoom said:

Yes, It's possible. that's why if you get a deal it's important to pay right away.. Recently I purchased a bargain but the seller (who I bought from before) canceled because the price was too low

I would have, but never got an invoice or an email from ebay at all. I didn't think it was possible to do something that would cause the auction winner to never even get an email. Thats instantaneous usually. The more I think about it, the worse my mood gets. I've won a few auctions from this seller recently and I haven't noticed something like this before on any of the other lots. 

I have had this happen a few times. Some are like others have said , and the seller cancelled the transaction.  Although usually when this happens you will not only receive notification from ebay that the seller cancelled , but the reason as well.  It will also still show the item in purchase history as cancelled.

I will add that the seller can also ask ebay to remove the listing ( and claim due to error, damage, etc) these can either show up as cancelled or be completely removed.  ( just gone like they were never there)  

There is also ways items will be put in limbo by ebay. Seller has had account hacked recently,  or when ebay suspects fraud/issues , and used to be the most common seller hasn't paid their fees and ebay temporarily removes sales/listings/feedback/etc until their account has been brought back to good standings.  

If the items you are referring to still show in your purchase history , but do not show cancelled and when you visit the sellers page they still have listings, I would consider trying to contact both seller and ebay and ask what is going on.  

This may all be an issue related to the recent enforcement of managed payments and the seller may just be going through transitioning pains. 

I completely empathize with you on this as it happens too often now. My most recent experience was 4 separate books a seller listed for $15 each buy it now. I bought them all and immediately paid. He listed a few more I went to buy those as well and when I went to complete the purchase the system  kicked back and said item had ended. When I backed all the way out to ebay home I had 4 messages that my previous items were all cancelled ( seller said "out of stock or damaged") when really someone else must have messaged him and made a way bigger offer. Which I messaged him asking what happened and if someone had made an offer at least give me a chance to counter. I never received any reply. Which really sucks as I had been chasing a few of those for a while. 

Hope you get this resolved and Good luck! 

6 hours ago, speedcake said:

I guess I won't be bidding on any more of that seller's stuff. Too bad as I was really  happy with all the lots I won from them in the recent past.

is he even doing auctions any longer?  It appears that he must have gotten tired losing his shirt on stuff and cancelled a bunch of finished auctions.  Not the right way to go about it but hopefully he has learned his lesson and he will avoid low starting price auctions.

6 hours ago, littledoom said:

I do get a kick out of people rushing to pay for books they see as a steal but books that went a tad high they wait to pay and eventually just ask to cancel the purchase (after making up some dumb reason).  I like to occasionally use my auctions to bring in new eye balls but auctions are just the pits.

2 hours ago, 1Cool said:

is he even doing auctions any longer?  It appears that he must have gotten tired losing his shirt on stuff and cancelled a bunch of finished auctions.  

I hope it was just a weird glitch as everything seems fine now. I hope he keeps listing . No idea why the bids have been so low on his stuff, I’ve been pleased with everything I’ve gotten. Especially for the prices I’ve paid 

14 minutes ago, speedcake said:

I hope it was just a weird glitch as everything seems fine now. I hope he keeps listing . No idea why the bids have been so low on his stuff, I’ve been pleased with everything I’ve gotten. Especially for the prices I’ve paid 

Glad to hear it worked out.  He does look to have some nice Bronze Age stuff but they are not key so they sit (or go cheap).  Is your set the one with a 30 cent #44 in it?

34 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Glad to hear it worked out.  He does look to have some nice Bronze Age stuff but they are not key so they sit (or go cheap).  Is your set the one with a 30 cent #44 in it?

Nope , that one got out of my price range. I won the eight issue lot with 54 through 60

10 minutes ago, speedcake said:

Nope , that one got out of my price range. I won the eight issue lot with 54 through 60

$2.50 a piece for nice high grade TOD is pretty cheap.  Nice pick up.

2 hours ago, speedcake said:

2 hours ago, speedcake said:

Well I must have jumped the gun because it appears everything is back and I’ve now paid for the books. Seller said something happened on his end too, that all the recently ended auctions disappeared but they are back now. 

Glad this worked out for you. I have noticed a few (more) glitches recently from ebay. I believe this has a lot to do with the migration over to managed payments. 

I started getting weird payment errors too.  There's an error 99 code when you try to complete checkout.  I had to call multiple times to get it fixed, one customer service guy said the problem is trying to pay for your auction wins via cart.  He said you can't do that instead go into your messages or email and click pay now on the invoice instead.  That did actually fix the problem for me.  

This past year there must have been a change but when I sell an item, the item still remains up and I have to go into my account and actively click end and "item is not available anymore".  People can't purchase it, but the item still shows up. 

Is there a way to automate this process like before, so once the item sales, it just disappears from my selling page?