• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
34 34

4,234 posts in this topic

On 6/6/2024 at 10:45 AM, B2D327 said:

Sales tax is tacked on depending on the state you buy the item from (ie: a purchase from a seller in California will have California sales tax added to the final charges, etc)

What you're saying makes sense but this has not been my experience.

A few years ago, ebay started charging me tax on every purchase, **regardless of the seller's state.** I'm not sure if it's "a New York thing" (like ebay has an office here or something), or if this has happened to everyone across the board, or if it literally has only happened to me (jeez). 

I went back into my Purchase History just now. As examples, here are screenshots of Order Details from purchases I made in December and February. I live in New York... the first seller is in FL, the second is in PA...

Screenshot2024-06-06at11_59_24AM.png.46bfa4e25bf081be0ad6049f17323df4.png 

Screenshot2024-06-06at12_02_19PM.png.9ce7cad9e860ced2388513eaf76de27f.png

So regardless of what state they're located in, I was getting charged tax.

Sometime in April... with no explanation or fanfare... this just stopped happening, and it's been a surprising and substantial savings for me. No tax of any kind on the ebay purchases I've made since then.

@rjpb, you're still a hardcore ebayer, yes? Any idea on this?

EBAY collects sales tax based on destination not origin of sale, so you are being charged your combined state and local sales tax rate. Unless you have a resale certificate on file with ebay from your state of residence (as many dealers do) I'm not sure why they would have stopped collecting sales tax. They also only do this for sellers with managed payments (which is nearly everyone on ebay). If you are paying a seller via some other method then ebay won't collect sales tax. Over the years I've had a couple buyers contact me to be paid directly, perhaps in order to dodge sales tax. Ebay still charges me the the final value fee on the sale, but does not collect sales tax in such situations.

On 6/6/2024 at 6:19 AM, Neo "The One" said:

I'm in NY - they charge me NY sales tax... Which I might add is SIGNIFICANT! :sick:

On 6/6/2024 at 6:21 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

@Neo "The One" by and by...

How much is New York Sales tax specifically? I know you probably have others to where it all adds up.... but just "sales tax?"

Texas is still sizeable 8.25%

so don't feel I'm being insincere! :shy: 

Wait till you come to CA, 10.25% tax on ebay purchases

On 6/6/2024 at 12:34 PM, rjpb said:

EBAY collects sales tax based on destination not origin of sale, so you are being charged your combined state and local sales tax rate. Unless you have a resale certificate on file with ebay from your state of residence (as many dealers do) I'm not sure why they would have stopped collecting sales tax. They also only do this for sellers with managed payments (which is nearly everyone on ebay). If you are paying a seller via some other method then ebay won't collect sales tax. Over the years I've had a couple buyers contact me to be paid directly, perhaps in order to dodge sales tax. Ebay still charges me the the final value fee on the sale, but does not collect sales tax in such situations.

Cool, thanks for weighing in. No, I certainly don't have a resale certificate, and I pay through ebay the same way I've done for years (decades!). I guess for now it will stay a mystery.

Posted (edited)
On 6/7/2024 at 3:48 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Looking at their other listings, they seem to indicate alleged print runs as a selling point  Wonder where they get the numbers from... 

Edit: Reading the descriptions, looks like they're under the impression that the incentive ratio is a ratio of the total print run for the regular variant...:eyeroll: 

Edited by flchris

On 6/7/2024 at 7:51 AM, flchris said:

Looking at their other listings, they seem to indicate alleged print runs as a selling point  Wonder where they get the numbers from... 

Edit: Reading the descriptions, looks like they're under the impression that the incentive ratio is a ratio of the total print run for the regular variant...:eyeroll: 

:applause:

image.png.6e9793691259ea58d997aeb03308bff4.png

:screwy:

It's All Lies | HuffPost UK

Made-up Synonyms and Made-up Antonyms. Similar and opposite words for ...

"Source?" / "I Made It Up" | Source? I Made It Up | Know Your Meme

Because you viewed this item, here’s a special offer.
A few other interested buyers also received this offer – it won’t last long. Hurry and take advantage right away!
Offer: $1,455.00

Message from [redacted]
Best offer being sent. No counters accepted. Do not DM asking “what’s the best you can do”. This is it.

What a heartwarming message. Can't wait to accept this bargain instead of $1500! 9_9

I was looking through picclick.com the other day and one of the nice features it has is showing how long a book has been listed on ebay. I stumbled across several different books that had been listed for 10 years. (Sorry, don't recall which ones). I'm not familiar with listing fees, but doesn't that get a little expensive after a decade?

And if your book hasn't sold in ten years, wouldn't you think it might be time to drop the price?

On 6/10/2024 at 10:35 AM, evilskip said:

I was looking through picclick.com the other day and one of the nice features it has is showing how long a book has been listed on ebay. I stumbled across several different books that had been listed for 10 years. (Sorry, don't recall which ones). I'm not familiar with listing fees, but doesn't that get a little expensive after a decade?

And if your book hasn't sold in ten years, wouldn't you think it might be time to drop the price?

Interesting thought.  It cost me $22 to have a store with 1,000 listings and 250 auctions each month (they have been giving a ton of extra listing each month but that could go away).  So even using just the BINs it's about 2 cents per month to list a book so listing a book for 10 years would cost $2.40 at the current rates.  I believe E-Bay had a different structure in terms of how it charged for listing back in 2014 but you can see how cheap it is to just let books collect dust on e-bay even for a decade.