• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
33 33

4,172 posts in this topic

On 4/9/2024 at 7:29 PM, littledoom said:

Can you please explain this, I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around this concept

Promoted Listings are basically SEO advertisements on eBay. Ad blockers are flagging those as ads.

On 4/20/2024 at 1:00 PM, Tnexus said:

Promoted Listings are basically SEO advertisements on eBay. Ad blockers are flagging those as ads.

That was a huge problem a few years ago, but not so much anymore like it used to be. I hate promoted listings, but you need the stupid things to sell on the platform these days. Don't even get me started with PLA and their Offsite Ads shenanigans. 

On 4/20/2024 at 9:03 PM, captainzombie said:

I hate promoted listings, but you need the stupid things to sell on the platform these days.

No, you don't. Why do you think you need them? I don't use them at ALL and I average nearly 10 items sold per day.

Edited by Chip Cataldo

On 4/20/2024 at 9:03 PM, captainzombie said:

That was a huge problem a few years ago, but not so much anymore like it used to be. I hate promoted listings, but you need the stupid things to sell on the platform these days. Don't even get me started with PLA and their Offsite Ads shenanigans. 

I never use promoted listings and I just shut down my Ebay listings for the year after hitting all of my selling targets. 

On 4/21/2024 at 9:30 AM, Stefan_W said:

I never use promoted listings and I just shut down my Ebay listings for the year after hitting all of my selling targets. 

So the problem is that we have several eBay accounts and our main account is selling used auto parts, which has started to become a more saturated market on eBay with eBay Motors. For this category you do need to promote or you will sell peanuts. We run this as a business with an LLC, so there is no shutting down for us. I know a lot of the guys do so to dodge paying the stupid taxes that I even feel like we are being double taxes on at times and that is understandable, but we can't do that or the good old IRS will come knocking on our door.

As for my comics/collectibles account, I use promoted listings, but at a much lower percentage. Considering how sales have been of late, every little thing helps.

Care to share your eBay username with me, would be interested to see your listings.

Edited by captainzombie

On 4/21/2024 at 2:45 PM, captainzombie said:

Care to share your eBay username with me, would be interested to see your listings.

I don't have any listings right now - I shut down selling on Ebay until next year. I have a set amount that I am willing to sell there each year, and after that I refuse to give that site more of my money. I use it mostly to offload smaller comics (100-250 price range). 

Here is my account: https://www.ebay.ca/str/thecomicdoghouse  

On 4/21/2024 at 3:09 PM, Stefan_W said:

I don't have any listings right now - I shut down selling on Ebay until next year. I have a set amount that I am willing to sell there each year, and after that I refuse to give that site more of my money. I use it mostly to offload smaller comics (100-250 price range). 

Here is my account: https://www.ebay.ca/str/thecomicdoghouse  

I don't blame you. eBay does irritate me too and by a lot as we do run our business on there, their rules do suck. I can write a novel about them, but won't. LOL!

Too bad another really good site that is similar has not come along.

How has Shortboxed been for you guys, have you tried them at all?

On 4/20/2024 at 7:49 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

No, you don't. Why do you think you need them? I don't use them at ALL and I average nearly 10 items sold per day.

Wow "average nearly 10 items sold per day." Tell me your secrets

On 4/21/2024 at 7:30 AM, Stefan_W said:

What a great place to be in.. Ebay has been miserable for me lately

On 4/20/2024 at 11:00 AM, Tnexus said:

I still see others promoted listings despite having an ad blocker on my end as a seller. So how does an ad blocker prevent buyers from seeing my promoted listings if the blocker is on my device not theirs?

On 4/20/2024 at 10:49 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

What's your e-bay store, Chip?  I'd love to see how your store is set up since I've been stuck selling about 2 or 3 items a day for the last year or so.  I'd of course be able to get up to 10 items a day if I was willing to take 50% discounts on everything but that would delete the reason for having a store.  But I'm glad things are selling for you.

On 4/21/2024 at 11:31 PM, littledoom said:

Wow "average nearly 10 items sold per day." Tell me your secrets

Diversification. I sell comics, toys, video games, sports cards, non-sports cards, antiques, statues, misc items...whatever I think I can make money on. If I don't know about a category and am presented with an opportunity, I learn about it and move forward if I can do it. I also price right. I do a search for "lowest price" on the particular item I'm selling and price mine so it comes up first when someone does that same search (which most collectors do). Then I take offers or make offers within a certain percentage of that to move the item. Cash flow is how I run it. I try not to sit on something for long unless I got it for dirt cheap and can afford to sit on it, like that Ali Bop Bag I acquired via auction.

Edit : I just checked my account. I'm down a bit this year but it's sitting at 7.76 items per day so far in 2024.

Edited by Chip Cataldo

On 4/22/2024 at 8:31 AM, 1Cool said:

What's your e-bay store, Chip?  I'd love to see how your store is set up since I've been stuck selling about 2 or 3 items a day for the last year or so.  I'd of course be able to get up to 10 items a day if I was willing to take 50% discounts on everything but that would delete the reason for having a store.  But I'm glad things are selling for you.

I'll PM you. Some people get antsy about me possibly promoting my sales here on the forum. I don't take large discounts, ever...even if it's old stock and definitely not if it's part of a collection I'm already in the black on. I can afford for it to sit forever since it costs me nothing to store my stuff. At most I'll take 20% or so off and even so I'd have to not like the item personally and want it gone, like a Boston Red Sox or Dallas Cowboys item. Lol.

On 4/22/2024 at 10:37 AM, Chip Cataldo said:

I'll PM you. Some people get antsy about me possibly promoting my sales here on the forum. I don't take large discounts, ever...even if it's old stock and definitely not if it's part of a collection I'm already in the black on. I can afford for it to sit forever since it costs me nothing to store my stuff. At most I'll take 20% or so off and even so I'd have to not like the item personally and want it gone, like a Boston Red Sox or Dallas Cowboys item. Lol.

Nice batch of books up for sale and a very large assortment of items in a large store is definitely a receipt for nice sales.  With almost 5x the number of items that I've got up for sale I can see why you can generate 10 items a day in sales!  

On 4/22/2024 at 7:32 AM, Chip Cataldo said:

Diversification. I sell comics, toys, video games, sports cards, non-sports cards, antiques, statues, misc items...whatever I think I can make money on. If I don't know about a category and am presented with an opportunity, I learn about it and move forward if I can do it. I also price right. I do a search for "lowest price" on the particular item I'm selling and price mine so it comes up first when someone does that same search (which most collectors do). Then I take offers or make offers within a certain percentage of that to move the item. Cash flow is how I run it. I try not to sit on something for long unless I got it for dirt cheap and can afford to sit on it, like that Ali Bop Bag I acquired via auction.

Edit : I just checked my account. I'm down a bit this year but it's sitting at 7.76 items per day so far in 2024.

Sounds like the most important part of online sales is sales!

Forgive me if this has been covered already but I'm trying to understand the logic behind one particular eBay seller's selling strategy.  The seller in question is called The Comic Miner.  Every single day he/she relists practically their entire inventory.  The prices stay the same.  Furthermore, how would ever know what if anything was new?

On 4/23/2024 at 3:02 PM, workingdog said:

Forgive me if this has been covered already but I'm trying to understand the logic behind one particular eBay seller's selling strategy.  The seller in question is called The Comic Miner.  Every single day he/she relists practically their entire inventory.  The prices stay the same.  Furthermore, how would ever know what if anything was new?

There is a lot of e-bay buyers who only look at the starting items each day to see if there are deals coming available so they are playing the game that renewing the items each day will get a ton of views for the books.  E-Bay gives so many free listings each month that smaller sellers can use this practice and have very little cost.  People who buy books frequently catch on and avoid those books but there is enough newbies that come around that it makes sense to them.  If I don't have the time to post new books or run auctions then I will close and relist 50 books every now and then throughout the month since it does generate increased views and sales.  E-Bay has become a sea on books so it's tough to not get lost especially if your books are not search worthy.

Edited by 1Cool