• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Black Panther #1 of new series sells 300,000 copies???

153 posts in this topic

Anyone actually read it yet?

.......it's not very good. :(

I read it, I don't think it's bad. I like what he had to say on the letter page, it was refreshing. The art was at times interesting, and at other times, woeful. The action scenes were incredibly static - perhaps there were limited panels to work with due to the amount of ground they wanted to cover and the exposition layered on relatively thickly.

My personal opinion... I don't think the story I see the beginnings of in this first issue has much chance of keeping a Marvel book selling where it needs to. Of course, if he's committed to staying and continuing on regardless, Marvel may keep it going no matter the numbers because of who he is, because Black Panther can and should be able to grow an audience, and because of the films, so time will tell.

They'll keep him on if he's willing to get paid like someone writing on a comic that sells 23,000 copies a month. Because the TPBs will sell forever, so it's worth getting 12-24 issues out of him.

curious...

where ARE the 300,000 Black Panther books?

Ebay seems light on em....

I am wondering the same thing all covers seem to be scarce for 300k print book my lcs didnt have many wendsday night any chance some are being held for some sort of civil war promotion?

I haven't made it to my lcs yet anyone witness these flying off the walls or covering them?

My LCS was evidently expecting a sellout. They were preordering at $5. When I went by yesterday there were stacks of them. Guy at the counter even asked if I was interested in the new Black Panther.

curious...

Whats your take how hard did you order?

I posted earlier...

Was lukewarm to the book.

Marvel offered a nice ordering bonus ( price )

Ordered moderate ( 250 )

have done really well, considering "supposed 300k"

That's double a Marvel event book numbers.

They should be spilling off shelves everywhere & polluting Ebay.

They are not.

curious...

Whats your take how hard did you order?

I posted earlier...

Was lukewarm to the book.

Marvel offered a nice ordering bonus ( price )

Ordered moderate ( 250 )

have done really well, considering "supposed 300k"

That's double a Marvel event book numbers.

They should be spilling off shelves everywhere & polluting Ebay.

They are not.

Good for you!

Thanks for the info.

For the most part, beautiful art by Stelfreeze, but the jury is still out on Coates. It was a typical #1 issue, lots of set-up, very little pay-off.

Sadly, I have to agree. I'm giving it a few issues, though. Coates is obviously still trying to find his "comics voice" in the first issue, and I found it a little hard to follow exactly what was going on without a panel re-read here and there. Or maybe I'm just slow :insane:

Isn't part of the 300K a loot crate variant in time for Civil War? Isn't Marvel putting one in their Collector Corps Box too?

I keep hearing this loot crate and marvel box thing but haven't seen any proof this is happening (i admit i haven't looked very hard but idk where this information originated) if someone has a link to some info it would be appreciated. i would think dropping a civil war 2 book in the next collectors corps box would be ideal but i think the first road to civil war 2 book drops in June(can be wrong) so missed opportunity for that 1 i guess time will tell.

Got my shipping notice today from jtc but recived my del otto bp #1's today!!!

Let me preface this by saying I am not a collector, investor, or speculator... but really I suppose now I am all three (and a bad one, at that).

Coates's Black Panther #1 was the first comic I bought. I'm a fan of Coates's work in the Atlantic, though I am yet to read Between the World and Me. He has won the National Book Award and a MacArthur Genius grant. He is probably the leading popular intellectual on race at this time.

I'm a fan of comic book movies and TV shows, but largely have stayed away from actually buying comics because I have OCD tendencies.

When I say I have OCD tendencies, well... I've already purchased 21 different covers of the new Black Panther #1. I don't expect to get my money back (especially since I paid $80 for one (though I did get $20 off for spending over $100 at the store) and $60 each for two more of them, one of which I don't even like the art). Do I hope one day I'll be able to turn them around for a profit? Of course. But I also don't love the chances.

It is getting a lot of promotion due to the author, and also probably the appearance in Civil War, and also because of the standalone movie in 2018 (now being directed by the guy who directed Creed).

I guess what I'm saying is.. it's bringing new people in. And while it may not look like a traditional good buy, there's at least some appeal to outsiders.

Let me preface this by saying I am not a collector, investor, or speculator... but really I suppose now I am all three (and a bad one, at that).

Coates's Black Panther #1 was the first comic I bought. I'm a fan of Coates's work in the Atlantic, though I am yet to read Between the World and Me. He has won the National Book Award and a MacArthur Genius grant. He is probably the leading popular intellectual on race at this time.

I'm a fan of comic book movies and TV shows, but largely have stayed away from actually buying comics because I have OCD tendencies.

When I say I have OCD tendencies, well... I've already purchased 21 different covers of the new Black Panther #1. I don't expect to get my money back (especially since I paid $80 for one (though I did get $20 off for spending over $100 at the store) and $60 each for two more of them, one of which I don't even like the art). Do I hope one day I'll be able to turn them around for a profit? Of course. But I also don't love the chances.

It is getting a lot of promotion due to the author, and also probably the appearance in Civil War, and also because of the standalone movie in 2018 (now being directed by the guy who directed Creed).

I guess what I'm saying is.. it's bringing new people in. And while it may not look like a traditional good buy, there's at least some appeal to outsiders.

Welcome, and glad to have you onboard!

has anyone received their JTC Black Panther copies yet

Received USPS tracking today.

got mine today

This is one cover i think looks 10x's better in hand!!!! Both my copies and my poe seem to be pretty mint also im very happy

Welcome coatesguy i am also in for about 6 variants and I wouldn't worry about getting money back on these, just enjoy them. If this was your jump in point and you begin to love the book or comics in general it will be really hard to part with your first buys for any price i have purchased plenty of books for the art or story and tell myself if they double or triple in price I would sell and i still have them even at 5 times the value lol