• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE FLASH starring Ezra Miller 2022
10 10

2,182 posts in this topic

On 5/30/2023 at 3:21 AM, Bosco685 said:

"They" are probably even happier since it exceeded $800M though multiple countries banned the movie due to an Israeli lead actress and underperforming in patriarchal countries (Russia, India, China).

Screenshot_20230530-0418422.png.808e68061c8ebf1af835b3242a91632e.png

Yes, WW 1 was about $818M worldwide.  And it had a fair shake...it was released everywhere.  $89M in China.

Normally I don't trust China.  But for US superhero movies...I'd trust them more than I'd trust the USA media.

WW 1984 was $38.5M in China and $169.6M worldwide.  It would look too overly ridiculous if the US media said it was a blockbuster here.

Aquaman was $335M US (at least, probably much more)...$298M China...and $1.15B worldwide.

On 6/13/2023 at 7:22 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

IIRC, the creators of Batman and Superman were credited in the opening of BvS, too. (thumbsu

Marvel then Disney also pays the creators an amount less than that which in most towns costs to park in a meter spot for 1 hour .

Edited by MAR1979

On 6/13/2023 at 7:38 PM, ChillMan said:

Yes, WW 1 was about $818M worldwide.  And it had a fair shake...it was released everywhere.  $89M in China.

It was banned in 14 countries due to Gadot's Israeli military service and underperformed in male-dominated countries (China, India, Russia). Russian critics even wrote how ridiculous it was have a massively strong female lead.

Other than that - it had a fair shot.

:shiftyeyes:

On 6/13/2023 at 8:18 PM, MAR1979 said:

Marvel then Disney also pays the creators an amount less than that which in most towns costs to park in a meter spot for 1 hour .

Exactly.

I'm skeptical that this film will be any good. I can only think of a couple movies where one actor plays multiple roles without having a drastic change in appearance like many great Eddie Murphy films and I don't get sick of them:

1. Multiplicity

2. Double Impact

I think Ezra overload might ruin it for me, but maybe I'm overlooking some movies that might be great despite too much of one actor.  Do any other movies come to mind for you guys?

Edited by Flanders82

from the WC

The Flash (on general release tomorrow)

Hard to know where to begin with this flick. The concepts could've worked but for the childish -----script, terrible acting across the board and the campy, gurning presence of Ezra Miller.

What was interesting is that DC tried to pull a multiverse effect here with acres of pop culture references like the recent Spider-Man animation, but it just didn't make any sense. Indeed the last 40 minutes involve the filmmakers throwing everything including the kitchen sink against the wall, with Keaton (phoning it in as you'd expect) completely wasted. It's a ludicrous mess of a movie, which is slightly more likeable than other DC projects, but then that's all moot due to the whirlwind of nothingness and half-baked characters whose appearances in the flick are never adequately explained - especially Keaton. Next time DC should play it all for laughs, rather than lame drama. There's really no point in taking any of this seriously anymore.

3/10.

Edited 4 hours ago by goldust40

On 6/13/2023 at 7:40 PM, Bosco685 said:

It was banned in 14 countries due to Gadot's Israeli military service and underperformed in male-dominated countries (China, India, Russia). Russian critics even wrote how ridiculous it was have a massively strong female lead.

Other than that - it had a fair shot.

:shiftyeyes:

LOL stop lying.  Not only wasn't WW banned anywhere...but it was given ridiculously fawning lying media backside-smooching praise.

And now, predictably, the media is saying that Aquaman 2 is terrible LOL.

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.e43c9c3988146f23753bca7c9683f7da.jpgimages(57).jpeg.e0bbc7d2e03b2908642ef6fcbb069b92.jpegScreenshot_20230613-213252.thumb.png.3a3b1b3d9858e8b47787e0d8b4ec5b22.pngScreenshot_20230613-213411.thumb.png.7cb179523386c2ba7ac1264da43d9564.png

On 6/13/2023 at 10:50 PM, ChillMan said:

LOL stop lying.  Not only wasn't WW banned anywhere...but it was given ridiculously fawning lying media backside-smooching praise.

Wonder Woman banned in Lebanon due to Israeli lead, Gal Gadot

Gal Gadot’s newest movie banned in Kuwait

FORBES: Why The Middle East Went To War With 'Wonder Woman'

Wonder Woman banned in Tunisia where 70% of the female population suffers from gender-based violence

Qatar Becomes Third Arab Country to Ban ‘Wonder Woman’ Over Lead Israeli Actress Gal Gadot

You want to apologize for implying I lied, or you want to continue playing ignorant to reality?

On 6/13/2023 at 9:45 PM, paperheart said:

from the WC

The Flash (on general release tomorrow)

Hard to know where to begin with this flick. The concepts could've worked but for the childish ------script, terrible acting across the board and the campy, gurning presence of Ezra Miller.

What was interesting is that DC tried to pull a multiverse effect here with acres of pop culture references like the recent Spider-Man animation, but it just didn't make any sense. Indeed the last 40 minutes involve the filmmakers throwing everything including the kitchen sink against the wall, with Keaton (phoning it in as you'd expect) completely wasted. It's a ludicrous mess of a movie, which is slightly more likeable than other DC projects, but then that's all moot due to the whirlwind of nothingness and half-baked characters whose appearances in the flick are never adequately explained - especially Keaton. Next time DC should play it all for laughs, rather than lame drama. There's really no point in taking any of this seriously anymore.

3/10.

Edited 4 hours ago by goldust40

he's a Spurs fan, that's all you need to know

On 6/14/2023 at 10:17 AM, jsilverjanet said:

sometimes i wonder if movie critics are the most miserable people on earth

i bet they are wonderful at parties

"the music is too loud"

"is this all the food"

"did you invite..."

"If I had planned this party what I would have done better..."

I was interested in seeing The Flash, but now see that it's 144 friggin' minutes long. WTH? I just sat through 136 minutes of the Spider-Verse last week. The first thing the studios should do to improve the genre is to start making average length movies again. Every single one does not need to be 2-1/2+ hours long. Going to a superhero movie these days is a time-consuming commitment.

On 6/14/2023 at 11:47 AM, MR. Pontoon said:

I was interested in seeing The Flash, but now see that it's 144 friggin' minutes long. WTH? I just sat through 136 minutes of the Spider-Verse last week. The first thing the studios should do to improve the genre is to start making average length movies again. Every single one does not need to be 2-1/2+ hours long. Going to a superhero movie these days is a time-consuming commitment.

Do I agree with you that the average movie is bloated for reasons seemingly unknowable to me? Yes. However, I don't think that we should impose length restrictions, as this limits creativity.

Being that this is both The Flash's first solo movie and an adaptation of Flashpoint, the runtime will likely be necessary.

On 6/13/2023 at 8:50 PM, ChillMan said:

On 6/14/2023 at 3:02 AM, Bosco685 said:

that70s-show-burn.gif

On 6/14/2023 at 4:47 PM, MR. Pontoon said:

For me, it is getting to a point where the film is so long that I know very well I can’t maintain sufficient attention for that entire run period, coupled with the expense of the ticket itself now, and it makes better common sense and cost-effectiveness to use other options to watch it.

On 6/14/2023 at 11:00 AM, Ken Aldred said:

For me, it is getting to a point where the film is so long that I know very well I can’t maintain sufficient attention for that entire run period, coupled with the expense of the ticket itself now, and it makes better common sense and cost-effectiveness to use other options to watch it.

...or read a book instead