• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE FLASH starring Ezra Miller 2022
10 10

2,177 posts in this topic

On 8/9/2022 at 2:42 PM, drotto said:

But how much desire or buzz is there for this film with casual CM fans?  The MCU has a massive fan base and lots of good will (which is starting to dwindle), and is struggling to hit $900 million now.  Add to that, when people think DC they think Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman, not the Flash.  With that a Batman movie just struggled to clear $800 million. Thor with its massive fan base and well Thor, is going to finish in the $750 range.

So given these factors, plus the Ezra liability, where does this film go? My gut says $500 to $600 million.  Given the known budget, media campaign and still possible reshoots (how do these even get done now), this movie should break even, but will struggle to truly make money.

To me Aquaman was more about Mamoa, clean optics, and a feeling at the time that the DCEU had righted itself and was going somewhere. 

This is the point I was getting at -

What's a realistic box office for this film?

It can't be $800 million+

But is $650 million worldwide a "failure?"

Not saying it won't make money. But I have severe doubts it will make "tentpole expectations" money.

Interesting.

• According to the police report, Vermont State Police were notified of a burglary complaint from a residence in Stamford at 5:55 p.m. on May 1.
  • Police located Miller on Aug. 7 at 11:23 p.m. and issued them a citation to appear in Vermont Superior Court on Sept. 26 for arraignment.
  • Where was he when they found him? Glad you asked. He has been in rehab since July, which is where the Vermont Police found him.

On 8/9/2022 at 5:27 PM, Bosco685 said:

Interesting.

• According to the police report, Vermont State Police were notified of a burglary complaint from a residence in Stamford at 5:55 p.m. on May 1.
  • Police located Miller on Aug. 7 at 11:23 p.m. and issued them a citation to appear in Vermont Superior Court on Sept. 26 for arraignment.
  • Where was he when they found him? Glad you asked. He has been in rehab since July, which is where the Vermont Police found him.

Been in rehab? That explains why there have been no recent :censored: storms involving him.

Edited by D84

On 8/9/2022 at 6:27 PM, Bosco685 said:

Interesting.

Does being magically found in rehab, where nobody knew they were, seem a little bit convenient? 

On 8/10/2022 at 5:56 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Let's make fun of him for his transgressions, but not for going to rehab where he belongs. 2c

They belong in prison for their violent transgressions. 2c

Edited by D84
Removed incorrect pronouns

On 8/9/2022 at 4:18 PM, Gatsby77 said:
On 8/9/2022 at 12:42 PM, drotto said:

But how much desire or buzz is there for this film with casual CM fans?  The MCU has a massive fan base and lots of good will (which is starting to dwindle), and is struggling to hit $900 million now.  Add to that, when people think DC they think Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman, not the Flash.  With that a Batman movie just struggled to clear $800 million. Thor with its massive fan base and well Thor, is going to finish in the $750 range.

So given these factors, plus the Ezra liability, where does this film go? My gut says $500 to $600 million.  Given the known budget, media campaign and still possible reshoots (how do these even get done now), this movie should break even, but will struggle to truly make money.

To me Aquaman was more about Mamoa, clean optics, and a feeling at the time that the DCEU had righted itself and was going somewhere. 

Expand  

This is the point I was getting at -

What's a realistic box office for this film?

It can't be $800 million+

But is $650 million worldwide a "failure?"

Not saying it won't make money. But I have severe doubts it will make "tentpole expectations" money.

I am expecting it to be more in line with Shang-Chi/Eternals to be honest, based on how The Batman performed. Hopefully it does better than that, but it is a DC film with a troubled star which is not a good starting point. Maybe Black Adam will be a $1B+ film and revive the DCEU, but the top DC property just failed to hit $800M despite the positive reviews and reaction from most of the Batman fan-base. On the flip side, Doctor Strange 2, which is viewed as a weak MCU film and with second stringers hit $954M. Right now, I think we need to lower our expectations at the box office for the DCEU, unfortunately.

With the current WBD project approval process, I would consider it a success if this movie is released.

Edited by kimik