• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hulk #1 cgc 9.0 $50K...sold!

37 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any clue as to who is buying these big-priced SA books?

Dunno, but a couple nice books disappeared from Doug's site this weekend as well...the vintage market is obviously quite strong with recent record sales of early SA books in grades from low to high (David's AF 15, the VG Spidey 1, etc.,.). We'll be curious to see what kind of response you get from the unveiling of your site, let us know! thumbsup2.gif

Sure Mark, We'll give you the names of our big ticket comic buyers so that you can sell them books also.

Don't blame you for withholding priority information.

As mostly a collector (and some times seller), the question is if these books are just being bought by other dealers, or are there really still collectors buying these to keep for many years.

My guess is there is a little of both. I do know a few collectors who bought some big time keys from Doug that rarely sell books. But I also see certain keys (AF #15 CGC 8.5 Ohio copy and JIM #83 CGC 9.0 Diamond Run) that seem to go from one dealers hand to another, and never settles into a long term collectors hand.

Just my observations.

The last three keys I've sold have been to collectors, none have been to other dealers. Certain books will always be "passed" around, probably because the person buying it doesn't like the "defect" the book exhibits. The JIM #83 Diamond run is probably being sold because of the corner crease that seems to jump out at you. If the book didn't have that crease it probably would still be in somebody's collection.

The JIM #83 Diamond run is probably being sold because of the corner crease that seems to jump out at you. If the book didn't have that crease it probably would still be in somebody's collection.

A comment you have made before that I agree with. Those books that either appear to be overgraded, or have flaws that stand out, are more likely to be flip ad infinum, while the strictly graded (or great eye appeal books) would more then likely find themselves in the hands of collectors.

Sure Mark, We'll give you the names of our big ticket comic buyers so that you can sell them books also.

Can you send me the names of your big ticket customers and I'll send you mine?

Bob, you are incorrectly presuming my post was intended for response by dealers. If I wanted to know who you or any dealer sold a book to, I would simply pick up the phone and have the decency to call you directly. I wouldn't do that, however, b/c I would not reasonably expect you to reveal the identity of the person, even if we had a long history together, for obvious reasons.

However I would be more than happy to come to terms with you or any dealer on arrangements that would try to maximize our sales potential. So, do not hesitate to contact me to discuss this further. You have my contact info.

In any event, if you read my post, I did not ask for names to be named. The intent of the post was to confirm the accuracy of these repeated and continually escalating high-level sales. It is well known that for a long time certain dealers have artificially created "sales" that never existed. Sometimes no cash is exchanged. The book was either sold or traded as part of a large group, or was part of an exchange with another dealer. Yet the dealer/seller would then "set" a price for that book to make it appear it was sold at a record-breaking amount. At times, the conduct is more nefarious and unethical than that.

Given that collectors/buyers dominate these threads, the purchaser of some of these large ticket items, if someone exists, may very well be posting and willing to reveal themselves, or they may know the person and can tell us it was a collector from Europe or a long-time US collector, etc.

And to extrapolate on PressGeek's statement in a more polite way, any collector paying $50,000 for a book is going to know what dealers offer that level of inventory and they will find us on their own or through colleagues without much difficulty. I am certainly not concerned.

Can you send me the names of your big ticket customers and I'll send you mine?

Bob, you are incorrectly presuming my post was intended for response by dealers. If I wanted to know who you or any dealer sold a book to, I would simply pick up the phone and have the decency to call you directly. I wouldn't do that, however, b/c I would not reasonably expect you to reveal the identity of the person, even if we had a long history together, for obvious reasons.

However I would be more than happy to come to terms with you or any dealer on arrangements that would try to maximize our sales potential. So, do not hesitate to contact me to discuss this further. You have my contact info.

In any event, if you read my post, I did not ask for names to be named. The intent of the post was to confirm the accuracy of these repeated and continually escalating high-level sales. It is well known that for a long time certain dealers have artificially created "sales" that never existed. Sometimes no cash is exchanged. The book was either sold or traded as part of a large group, or was part of an exchange with another dealer. Yet the dealer/seller would then "set" a price for that book to make it appear it was sold at a record-breaking amount. At times, the conduct is more nefarious and unethical than that.

Given that collectors/buyers dominate these threads, the purchaser of some of these large ticket items, if someone exists, may very well be posting and willing to reveal themselves, or they may know the person and can tell us it was a collector from Europe or a long-time US collector, etc.

And to extrapolate on PressGeek's statement in a more polite way, any collector paying $50,000 for a book is going to know what dealers offer that level of inventory and they will find us on their own or through colleagues without much difficulty. I am certainly not concerned.

Your original post was polite and on topic and I, as a collector, was interested. It was quite clear you were interested in the state of the market -- not names.

My opinion on this (I've shared it with a few people) is that there's 2-3 really high grade original owner collections out there, most likely in non-urban, Mid-West to West areas where CGC is an unknown and where there isn't much info disseminated that would enable the oo to assume he's sitting on a 100k+ investment. Over time, I guarantee that another high grade or two SA collection comes out and if proven will get the CGC pedigree blessing (but it's not an easy process).

I doubt we'll see anything approaching the PC or Curator runs (those are freaks of nature do to the meticulous storage methods utilized) but I'll bet a Green River or Northland or Massachusetts -type pwedigree will surface within 5 years. And that's when I jump in!! (only kidding). Don't be surprised if this new oo collection has a 9.2 ASM 1 or 9.0 FF 1, etc. It's just bound to happen, folks.

Doug

My opinion on this (I've shared it with a few people) is that there's 2-3 really high grade original owner collections out there, most likely in non-urban, Mid-West to West areas where CGC is an unknown and where there isn't much info disseminated that would enable the oo to assume he's sitting on a 100k+ investment. Over time, I guarantee that another high grade or two SA collection comes out and if proven will get the CGC pedigree blessing (but it's not an easy process).

I doubt we'll see anything approaching the PC or Curator runs (those are freaks of nature do to the meticulous storage methods utilized) but I'll bet a Green River or Northland or Massachusetts -type pwedigree will surface within 5 years. And that's when I jump in!! (only kidding). Don't be surprised if this new oo collection has a 9.2 ASM 1 or 9.0 FF 1, etc. It's just bound to happen, folks.

Doug

sounds about right to me. Just wish one of those collections was mine! So far on the boards, Burnt is the closest to a Pedigree find yet.

Doug

sounds about right to me. Just wish one of those collections was mine! So far on the boards, Burnt is the closest to a Pedigree find yet.

IF, as a youngster, i'd had sufficient foresight, i may have had a Pedigree collection. i've just been fortunate that many of my original purchases fared reasonably well over the past 40+ years.

i agree with the theory that there are Pedigrees out there waiting to be discovered.

the classic concept of a big stash being located in a trunk in an attic where it's been undisturbed for 40-50 years is what dreams are made of................... cloud9.gif

Doug

IF, as a youngster, i'd had sufficient foresight, i may have had a Pedigree collection. i've just been fortunate that many of my original purchases fared reasonably well over the past 40+ years.

i agree with the theory that there are Pedigrees out there waiting to be discovered.

the classic concept of a big stash being located in a trunk in an attic where it's been undisturbed for 40-50 years is what dreams are made of................... cloud9.gif

nahh, Burnt! The only thing you did wrong was you were born three years too late! Like all kids collections, your books tend to be sharper as time goes along...so starting earlier would have placed the early Marvels and DCs squarely in your 9.2 - 9.4 zone of the Green Lanterns you posted.. Go tll your parents how much dough they cost you!!