• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What did the werid comic reader or owner do their comic book?

50 posts in this topic

Found a Zap comic with seeds in between some of the pages. I left them there...

I've found roaches (not bugs :makepoint: ) in UGs before...

Did you light them up?

During the 70's some comics I got had those 16 page ad inserts in them. I used to get so mad that I would remove them. "How dare my 20 or 25 cents be used for ads" ran through my young mind... I cringe now when I think of how I wrecked those comics.

roaches :cloud9:

Coincidental that I mentioned an actual insect in the post immediately following.

I'd imagine that would be quite common?

Howard used to talk about his college days, back then.

Recently acquired first volume of Dr. Strange collection, I found #1 has two tapes over the staples. Checked if the cover was detached. No, the cover is still attached. Flipped through pages. I was so puzzled by the Marvel Stamp was taped around it then the tapes went on to the edge of the page. The MVS is fully intact and is never cut.

In the olden days of collecting it was not unheard of to apply small pieces of tape over the staples as a way of protecting the book. Have to wonder if the collector was an older person.

Just out of curiosity, Dr. Strange has a few iterations. Are you talking about the 2nd series from 1974?

PS - this habit of using scotch tape back in the day was at least part of the reason CGC does noes not consider scotch tape to be resto.

I found a collection of Cherry Poptarts had the pages glued together. Guess it was to keep the comic from creasing? (shrug)

My DCs were worse. DC at the time, iirc, had their ads stitched into the story, so that you'd HAVE to look at the ads while you read the content. (In retrospect, they were obviously training us for web sites.) But in order to do this, the ads wound up being printed on the same sheet of paper: front and back straddling the centerfold. So I would carefully loosen the staple, lift out all but the cover and first interior pages, then pull out all the sheets with the ads. I'd then put the remaining content pages back in the book, re-bend the staple in place, and voila!: a thinner, but ad-free book. (In retrospect, I should have a patent on ad-blocking.)

I think this guy got one of your books!!

I found a collection of Cherry Poptarts had the pages glued together. Guess it was to keep the comic from creasing? (shrug)

My DCs were worse. DC at the time, iirc, had their ads stitched into the story, so that you'd HAVE to look at the ads while you read the content. (In retrospect, they were obviously training us for web sites.) But in order to do this, the ads wound up being printed on the same sheet of paper: front and back straddling the centerfold. So I would carefully loosen the staple, lift out all but the cover and first interior pages, then pull out all the sheets with the ads. I'd then put the remaining content pages back in the book, re-bend the staple in place, and voila!: a thinner, but ad-free book. (In retrospect, I should have a patent on ad-blocking.)

I think this guy got one of your books!!

Not one of mine. Never collected All-Star. (I wish I had, though!)

I've told this story before, but back in the early eighties I purchased two cans of de-acidification spray. Each can was twenty bucks. (Man, I wish I had spent the 40 bucks on an early spidey instead) anyway I had an old FF 9 in good condition and I wanted to give it a good bath with that spray since the pages were already pretty tan, and I figured a good spraying would protect the paper for a good long century. So I went through the book and applied a good coat on each page and waited for it to dry. When I checked the book later it looked ok but when I touched the pages I noticed that they felt like an oily car shammy.

But on the bright side the pages smell nice! I later traded the book for an x-men 33 and 34. I remember the guy at the shop asking me why the pages felt funny.

I once opened a twenty year old comic to find a slice of pepperoni in the middle. It had stained two or three wraps.

I kept a 2 foot long pepperoni in my college dorm locker for 2 years before eating it

roaches :cloud9:

"Daves not here"

:gossip: That's the secret origin of my avatar

I have found the following in and on comics

Birthday cards

Cookie Crumbs

Shopping lists

Want lists

Money

Stickers

Bugs

Tape

Photographs

If it was a $100 or a $50 there is a remote chance it was mine -

Sadly - No I am not joking

After decades, I'll confess that I went through a brief period of mutilating my comic books.

I'm pretty sure I bled all over my copy of ASM death of Gwen issue. I recall a hangnail I ripped off or something like that.

I have found the following in and on comics

Birthday cards

Cookie Crumbs

Shopping lists

Want lists

Money

Stickers

Bugs

Tape

Photographs

I've found $1 bills twice and a ton of homework.