• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wow, everything is getting very pricey.

104 posts in this topic

A year and a half ago, the bronze comics were much more affordable, but it seems that prices have really shot up. I can understand, why people would be trying to get the most they can for New Mutants #98, but they are so abundant and don't seem to be selling at the asking prices.

There are some issues like Sabretooth's first appearance, which doesn't currently doesn't have much attention, but still pricey. Even Ras Al Ghul first appearance shot up. You can only really get lower graded 5-6 copies, when a little while back an 8-8.5 was more affordable.

Giant Size Xmen is way too steep for me now. Do you guys think this trend will continue, or is it because people are hyped up about the new Xmen movie, and Batman is on everyone's mind. I still can't explain why the Sabretooth one is pricey.

Iron Fist #14 isn't that expensive, given per GPA the last sale of a 9.8 was this month for $1.500. That's a decent drop when compared with previous sales and the 2005 high of $2,500 for the Winnipeg issue. Again, the problem is quantity: there are a total of 124 in the 9.8 grade, and by my own reckoning any more than 20 means an issue isn't scarce.

The only 2 issues that consistently defy the quantity argument are Incredible Hulk #181 (92 in 9.8) and Giant-Size X-Men #1 (125 in 9.8). Due to the first appearances, most collectors want a high-grade copy. The "prestige" factor!

Sorry for the ignorance, but I never understood why Giant Size X-Men or X-Men 94 are highly sought after. I would think X-men #1 is the holy grail of the franchise. There don't seem to be a lot of other significant key issues in X-Men.

Sorry for the ignorance, but I never understood why Giant Size X-Men or X-Men 94 are highly sought after. I would think X-men #1 is the holy grail of the franchise. There don't seem to be a lot of other significant key issues in X-Men.

Wow, you have been gone a long time. :facepalm:

Look, unless you have something helpful to add, could you stop following me around the board trolling all my posts?

I think we are in the peak of the price cycle, which makes it the absolute worst time to buy key first appearances. I personally think that prices would eventually go down - how much? Who knows!

Look, unless you have something helpful to add, could you stop following me around the board trolling all my posts?

Look buddy I'm just trying to talk to you. You don't have to be a wet *spoon*. I think I've earned a little more respect around here then what you are giving me.

WOW

Maybe try decaf?

I think we are in the peak of the price cycle, which makes it the absolute worst time to buy key first appearances. I personally think that prices would eventually go down - how much? Who knows!

It's interesting because some comics continue to appreciate no matter what, Giant Sized X-Men got a boost after the Apocalypse trailer as usually would happen with any other X-Men movie coming out. But for such a comic that does not usually lose any value, it'll be interesting to see if it comes back down again in price.

I think New Mutants 98, is definitely a case of movie hype, the comic is abundant to find, once interest weens off until the next movie, I can definitely see it coming down considerably.

It's interesting because some comics continue to appreciate no matter what, Giant Sized X-Men got a boost after the Apocalypse trailer as usually would happen with any other X-Men movie coming out. But for such a comic that does not usually lose any value, it'll be interesting to see if it comes back down again in price.

I think New Mutants 98, is definitely a case of movie hype, the comic is abundant to find, once interest weens off until the next movie, I can definitely see it coming down considerably.

GS X-M #1 will hold value as a 9.8. The NM #98 will fall off.

Yeah, I guess GSX1 just reignited the franchise and introduced only 3 new long-lasting characters (and a fourth short-lived character whose legacy would be carried on by his brother) rather than 7. Oh yeah, and added Wolverine to the team, giving him a place to grow rather than fade away. What a garbage issue.

But you're right, Uncanny X-Men is a series that is severely lacking in keys. There are probably two contributing factors to the lack of keys: the X-Men are so unpopular that it just never made sense to have anything important happen in the title, and Marvel's extreme lack of mutants meant that first appearances are quite rare.

Yeah, I guess GSX1 just reignited the franchise and introduced only 3 new long-lasting characters (and a fourth short-lived character whose legacy would be carried on by his brother) rather than 7. Oh yeah, and added Wolverine to the team, giving him a place to grow rather than fade away. What a garbage issue.

But you're right, Uncanny X-Men is a series that is severely lacking in keys. There are probably two contributing factors to the lack of keys: the X-Men are so unpopular that it just never made sense to have anything important happen in the title, and Marvel's extreme lack of mutants meant that first appearances are quite rare.

I am no expert - but I sense sarcasm here :grin:

There are several x-men keys both silver and bronze - SIlver: X-Men 3, 4, 9, 10, 12, 14, 15, 50 (to name a few), X-Men Bronze: 94, 95, 101, 109, 120, 121, 129, 134, 137, 139, 141, 142, 244, 266 (again just to name a few).

To be honest I am surprised Iron Fist 14 isn't more expensive - but as stated I guess the quantity of high grade keeps it down in price??

There are several x-men keys both silver and bronze - SIlver: X-Men 3, 4, 9, 10, 12, 14, 15, 50 (to name a few), X-Men Bronze: 94, 95, 101, 109, 120, 121, 129, 134, 137, 139, 141, 142, 244, 266 (again just to name a few).

To be honest I am surprised Iron Fist 14 isn't more expensive - but as stated I guess the quantity of high grade keeps it down in price??

Don't forget X-Men #49 (1st Polaris), #54 (1st Havok) and #64 (1st Sunfire).

Don't forget X-Men #49 (1st Polaris), #54 (1st Havok) and #64 (1st Sunfire).

I said to name a few :) But also X-Men 28 (1st Banshee), 35 (1st Spider-Man meeting), 60 (1st Sauron) - of course these are Silver Age books in a Bronze Age thread - but there are a lot more bronze age keys that I haven't listed

Look buddy I'm just trying to talk to you. You don't have to be a wet *spoon*. I think I've earned a little more respect around here then what you are giving me.

:eyeroll: Yeah, it's all the noob's fault. Maybe we should be a little more welcoming and congenial. :baiting:

@Wolfdude80, from now on make sure you genuflect before you respond to an Oakman post

Replies like that show that you deserve very little respect.

Replies like that show that you deserve very little respect.

Nice to see there are some decent mature posters on here. For the other person that sarcastically replied to my post. I don't claim to be an expert, I've been collecting for 2 years now and I still have a lot to learn especially when it comes to some characters who I'm not familiar with, and why some books are valuable.

:eyeroll: Yeah, it's all the noob's fault. Maybe we should be a little more welcoming and congenial. :baiting:

@Wolfdude80, from now on make sure you genuflect before you respond to an Oakman post

He has a nice collection, and I think it's gone to his head where he needs to feel superior to others on this board.